pdq expediters taylor michigab

G

hi all, i would just like to know if anyone out there has any info on pdq expedite out of taylor michigan, i was thinking of making a move to that company, all your input will be appreciated,thx!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Stay away!!! I you get a run out of the area, you're on your own. It seems like their dispatchers are lazy. They have a couple company trucks and even fewer o/os. I wanted to go back with them in '05, I just couldn't reason doing it.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Sprinter Guy, You asked b4 about companys shipping to Canada and I remember telling you to check out Panther. They have tons of freight coming out of Michigan going to Canada. I don't know what happened to that thread.

Fr8 Shaker

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do they hire Canadians? You will find your choices limited on this side of the river. I would start with finding out which companies take Canadians and do your research from there. CTX and FEDEX hire Canadians. Panther has a few after the Con-Way takeover, but I don't know if they are taking anymore.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been rumored the last few years that they were going to start a Canadian division, but the only ones they have came from the Con-Way deal. I haven't heard if they are taking more or not.

G

As for panther, i called them and they stated that they run canada and 48 states, i said i am canadian, i dont have a green card to work the US side, they told me that i will be running Canada AND the 48 states, with or with out a green card, well my answer to that is no F#$king way, i will not interstate. As for ctx , i have a friend there, also from Canada, no green card, and he is getting interstated to death, from them, i just dont think its right or worth it doing it that way.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Call me stupid, but what does "being interstated to death" mean.
Does this mean a cow path is more desirable? I have never heard this terminology before.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No, Dave, I won't call you stupid; just American.
The person "being instated to death" is the stupid one. That is the term for a Canadian running point to point within the USA in violation of all US Immigration rules. When that person gets caught, as he or she inevitably will, that person will likely be unable to drive commercially in Canada again. I believe that the person will be forbidden to even enter the USA.
Any driving job , at least in Ontario, requires crossing the border at least occaisonally.

Interstating Ain't Worth It!

>Call me stupid, but what does "being interstated to death"
>mean.
>Does this mean a cow path is more desirable? I have never
>heard this terminology before.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Davekc
>owner
>22 years
>PantherII
>EO moderator

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They're talking about doing loads that are point to point in the U.S. I can't imagine Panther breaking the law like that. When they told him 48 states they probably meant that his loads out of Canada could go anywhere in the U.S. As for CTX, well, I've just heard rumors.

G

sorry, should have made it clear that i am canadian, i meant interstating as point to point in US which is a big no no , thats why i wont do it, i have most of my family in the US so i wouldnt risk it to make a few extra $$.... ok as for PDQ, can i get some more opinions on that company please???

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again, I ask the question. Will they hire a Canadian? You really need to check that out first.

G

called them today and they said they are looking for canadians to do their border crossing trips, so yes they are!

G

and a quick comment on panther , the guy i talked to was well aware that i am a canadian and did indeed mean that i was going to all 48 states that includes point to point in US.. thats not fiction, thats fact, if he was confused so be it, but i know what i heard!!!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of the smaller companies don't even cross the border, let alone hire Canadians. That's why I pushed the issue. As far as Panther having Canadians interstate, I have my doubts. You may have talked to a recruiter that was misinformed. Or, they may just want to break the law. But, I kind of doubt that.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All I can tell you is there are some old expediting companies still hanging around in the Greater Detroit area. PDQ is one, along with First Class, ASAP, HELP and probably others. The only D units with sleepers are old used ones. Those guys run the heck out of local minis, and one will rarely see them outside of Ohio & Indiana...
I would stay away unless you love running minis and staying within 300 miles of home. They can't get you out of Canada either. To Panther's credit: they seem to do the most work into & out of Ontario for a major American carrier...

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For the record, A Canadian can do all the pickups he wants to in the US on ONE trip- he can only deliver them to Canada. Same for US operators. Panther would not do that, nor Tri-State, Fed Ex either. As far as other outfits are concerned, a wink and a nod may suffice for much of what they do. If you do it for them and get away with it, that helps them stay in business. (When I worked for 1st Class or Express 1, you could do whatever you wanted with your log books...)

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
I may be wrong but you can be hired on with an american company if your from canada.You can deliver from canada to any 48 US states. And pick up in any 48 states and deliver back to canada. But you can not pick up in one state and deliver to another state. I beleive unless you have a immigration work permit. I would check with immigration on the corner of Mt Elliot and East Jefferson in Detroit.
I kinda remember when I was driving, I was told that we couldn't delivery from pointA to point B in Canada. Only from canada back into the US.
Only the GOOD survive