PDAnet

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah. Works great.
Read the fine print of your cell phone contract, though, as it'll almost certainly state in there that you can't do that (without buying an additional data plan to cover it). But there is no way to tell if you are tethered, except for when insanely large amounts of data gets transferred, as one would with a computer as opposed to a smartphone. Just don't go crazy with it (like watching Hulu all day long every day) and you'll be fine.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I use easytether like PDAnet. Works good for what I want it for and I use it tethered to my htc droid eris. USB Tethering is frowned apon by most cell phone subscribers. But most dont care unless you go over 5gb even though your plan ( like mine ) says unlimited. I been using it for 2 months and no problems at all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Froyo (Android 2.2) has tethering built in. Just enable it in the Wireless settings. BUT, and it's a big but, if you tether that way, then Verizon will know you are tethering, and you'll get about 10 minutes of uninterrupted tethering before you are redirected to a Verizon Web page telling you that you must subscribe to Mobil Broadband Connect (the 5GB capped one).

You're best bet is Easytether (which I've never tried) or PDANet. Both the free versions restrict https access, and other than PDANet is roughly 5% faster, which isn't noticeable unless you're downloading a snotload of large files, and even then it'd be iffy. Easytether does cost half of what PNDNet costs, tho. With both you get an unlimited free trial (30 days I think), so give both a try and see which one you like best. I don't think Easytether supports the Mac, tho.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use pdanet on a droid Eris and a g1 before that. No complaints here.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Slacker that I am, draggin behind... I finally started using PDAnet on my Droid as Turtle recommended a couple months ago, instead of just using the browser on my HTC Hero. (for some reason, it kept double posting everything I posted on here!!)

I had the app on there for a couple months, but since it was the free version, I didn't use it much as most stuff I use requires https.... Upgraded to full version, and it works great so far.

Thanks for the recommend Ken.

Dale

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
PDANet on my iPhone .... works great using the USB cable connection to connect my laptop .... using the WiFi connection (instead of USB) seems a little flakey tho' .....