PDA/Smartphone

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone use one of these on the road? How do you like it? How easy is dialing while driving?

I'm looking at the Palm Treo or Blackberry under Sprint. Just wondering if it's worth the hype.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone use one of these on the road? How do you like it? How easy is dialing while driving?

I'm looking at the Palm Treo or Blackberry under Sprint. Just wondering if it's worth the hype.

I hated my blackberries, I could not do much with them once I picked them. I stuck them in my pocket and when I needed to use them, they came out all mushy and sticky.

I also didn't like my Palm, it was getting to be a pain dragging the pot all over the place and watering the thing. When I had my 'burb, it was a pain getting it in and out of the things, take it out of the pot, slide into the back, put the pot in and close the hatch. It was not really a portable thing like many said it was, I however liked it when I sat outside and used it for shade. Oh and I could not put that in my pocket.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I have the HTC touch by sprint. The bluetooth, voice dialing feature is nice. Plus you have cubes that you can swipe your thumb across the screen (like iphone) and get to your applications. Plus it has enough horse power to watch movies. I also like Sprint TV. I can also view and edit from Excel, Word and power point. Pictures are very clear on the phone.

gojack

Expert Expediter
After the truck,
my most important tool is my smart phone.

Sprint Mogul $30/Month
HTC Home Customizer (download)
provides 1 touch dialing.
Blue Parrot head set

-phone
-internet
-GPS Nav
-Maps
-Fax
-email
-text
-voice mail
-calculator
-calender
-camera
-video camera
-voice recorder
-phone book
-games
-weather forecast
-voice dial
-one touch dial
-Screen big enough to see
-Keyboard
-Bluetooth
-WiFi
-Microsoft Word
-MP3 player
-Rolodex (Contacts)
-Birthday/Anniversary reminders
-lots of programs, many free...

Sprint SERO 500 Plan (Cellswapper.com)
500 Min phone, unlimited data, text, roaming

Unlimited Internet = tethered to Laptop via PDAnet

GPS Nav in phone via Google maps w/ Satellite images... comes in handy for finding loading dock entrance.

Multi email account, auto check, email to phone (Yahoo, Google, hotmail etc)
Internet Explorer in phone, handy for checking fuel prices, address lookup etc.,
Camera & video camera w/email for sending freight claim photos...

Something I use it for more than I expected is Internet radio.
I have a jack from the truck radio into the headset plug on the laptop.
I click on my favorite radio station WLW, and I can listen to it live from anywhere,
no reception problems.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I decided to go with the MotoQ. It's an older model, but I figured that I didn't need huge amounts of extras. Checking email and customer contacts are pretty much the extent.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
I think we have the same phone gojack. I just love mine. I have Street Atlas maps, Pocket Quicken, the 2.0mp camera, Pocket Word and Excel and Power Point, it watches movies with TCPMP.

witchywoman07

Seasoned Expediter
We have a Motorola Q too. Love it. Have pocket Quicken on it to track all the expenses during the week while we are running, then sync it during downtime. It has GPS and we downloaded google maps with gps (for free), with the nice big screen we get turn by turn directions with paying a monthly fee. I can log onto my bank website with it and pay bills on line when I need to. We have smartfax.com (12.95 montly unlimited) for all our faxing needs. Inbound faxes come as pdf files and I can open with the Q to see if it is something that I need to print. We plan on buying a wi fi printer/scanner so that we can use the Q to print wirelessly. Email is great on it. Have used it as a modem but prefer our sprint aircard more. The Q has alot to it so if you are looking for a "phone" maybe with web this might be too much for you. Works great with my motorola headset, has good talk/standby time.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Glad you all posted this info. It's time for an upgrade for me. I love my Sanyo Katana, but it's limited as an internet browser. I was looking at the Rumor, but I think I want a little more internet capability.

Dale

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
MotoQ was on backorder, so I went with the Treo755 instead. Then, after cancelling the MotoQ, it came in the mail anyways. LOL Glad Mom needs a new phone too.