Payment Problems?

abqjames

Active Expediter
Are you having problems getting paid for your services? {Edited - Private issues need to be kept private}

So, if you are looking for a company that will pay you, I would advise you to be aware of that. Not saying don't go to work for him, just saying that I am not the only one he has failed to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Are you having problems getting paid for your services? {Edited}

So, if you are looking for a company that will pay you, I would advise you to be aware of that. Not saying don't go to work for him, just saying that I am not the only one he has failed to pay.

It's always a bad situation when a contractor does not get paid. That's why we are out here workin. Hopefully you gave them enough time to work out the situation before bringing this out to the forum. It could be damaging to a good company that may of made a honest mistake or any other scenario. They seem like a pretty honest company. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

abqjames

Active Expediter
Hopefully you gave them enough time to work out the situation before bringing this out to the forum.

I would say that over 4 months of trying to get payment from Charles [last name omitted] is long enough to wait without resorting to legal means... and if anybody wants to know the name of this person/company that has not paid me, please check the General Expeditors Forum, as the moderators of this "open" forum will not allow us to post anything negative about "companies" since they rely on corporate advertising to keep this going, and really don't care about the drivers. Is that Corporate America or what?
I still say BEWARE! I am not the only one whom he has not paid.

abqjames

Active Expediter
Are you having problems getting paid for your services? {Edited - Private issues need to be kept private}

The first part of this post, the part that was edited out, referrred to a company that has not paid it's drivers (and not just me) for work performed in 2011, but they won't let us talk about that. They say that "private issues need to be kept private", but this is an issue that affects more people than just me, and so, by definition is no longer private. This site will not allow us to ask or warn others about dishonest "companies" who do not pay their contractors/employees, because their money comes from corporate advertising.
I am through with this site. I need to find a TRULY "open" forum, not one bought and paid for by the industry!
I wish you all good luck, and beware of those that want you to work for them, but do not pay you!

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Having just got off the phone with James I hope this issue gets resolved as I am I one who told James about working for Charles and this issue makes me feel bad, I still drive for Charles and havent had an issue with pay for awhile and I hope that continues. Im not sure quite why he hasnt been paid for these 2 loads, James was there on time and delivered on time and sent in all the paperwork. So I hope Charles and James get this issued resolved.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The first part of this post, the part that was edited out, referrred to a company that has not paid it's drivers (and not just me) for work performed in 2011, but they won't let us talk about that.
Correct. The Code of Conduct is not only very simple, but very clear on this issue. And the Code of Conduct is something you agreed to when you signed up here. Is there some reason for which you think you are so special that you should not have to live up to what you agreed to?

They say that "private issues need to be kept private", but this is an issue that affects more people than just me, and so, by definition is no longer private.
Clearly you do not understand many more things besides the Code of Conduct, such as the difference between public and private. An issue could effecting hundreds or thousands of people, but can still be a very private issue. There is no magic number which suddenly turns a private issue into a public one.

This site will not allow us to ask or warn others about dishonest "companies" who do not pay their contractors/employees, because their money comes from corporate advertising.
Well, that's a load of crap. The issue is whether or not you can prove that a company is dishonest. If you can't, then it's libel, and by posting libel onto a public forum you open up the owner of the forum to libel charges, as well. Corporate advertising has nothing to do with it. I'm surprised someone who has a such a firm grasp on issues like the difference between public and private, and the simply rules of the Code of Conduct can't see that. <snort>

I am through with this site.
Unless you make a dramatic change in your posting behavior, immediately, you betcha.

I need to find a TRULY "open" forum, not one bought and paid for by the industry!
No, you need to find a site that doesn't mind opening itself up to being complicit in libel while you whine about something in public instead of dealing with the problem directly. Here's an idea, go start your own Blog and whine away. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
They say that "private issues need to be kept private", but this is an issue that affects more people than just me, and so, by definition is no longer private.

Well it is. If you want to warn people or tell them about a problem with a carrier or an individual, just say;

Anyone driving for X, contact me - PM preferred.

This site will not allow us to ask or warn others about dishonest "companies" who do not pay their contractors/employees, because their money comes from corporate advertising.

Well first thing this site is a private site, open means open to all to join.

Second if there is a dishonest company, then it needs to be discussed private for legal reasons - any lawyer will tell you that.

Third, it this was true, where the advertising buck was more important than open discussions of most things, a number of us would not be here but banned for our unadulterated "bashing" of some BIG advertisers.

AND finally, I have to say this because it is tiring to hear problems - Get a lawyer BEFORE you sign up with any company.

The problem is that people want to treat this as an easy buck and then complain when something happens. Life is a pain, and this like anything else is a business. We need to understand that sometimes you just don't get paid because of a screwup or a bad deal or even a very bad person but it isn't JUST YOU. THIS happens all the time from GM not paying consulting fees to the little mom and pop carrier who have cash flow problems. GET A LAWYER before you start, have them know who you are and what you are doing and when a problem with pay comes up, you can get their advice and have them fight for you.

I hope that you and others resolve this issue.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Having just got off the phone with James I hope this issue gets resolved as I am I one who told James about working for Charles and this issue makes me feel bad, I still drive for Charles and havent had an issue with pay for awhile and I hope that continues. Im not sure quite why he hasnt been paid for these 2 loads, James was there on time and delivered on time and sent in all the paperwork. So I hope Charles and James get this issued resolved.
Well, he doesn't understand the difference between a public and a private issue, and doesn't understand the simple rules of the Code of Conduct. Kinda makes you wonder if there are other things he doesn't understand, perhaps something that is coloring his version of the events.

ExpeditersOnline is not "Dispute Resolution Central", nor is it "The He-Said/She-Said Whiner's Paradise". I certainly hope you made that clear to James in the phone conversation.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
You know, I had every intention of posting a nameless yet descriptive post about a particular carrier who has, in the last 6 months, become slow to pay. Three other expediters have already terminated contract with them since January because of the slow pay and Napoleon Syndrome of the owner.

However, history shows I would be branded a liar for not naming them publicly...or a troublemaker for calling them out.

Therefore, I am not able to sufficiently warn others. Sorry!

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Well, he doesn't understand the difference between a public and a private issue, and doesn't understand the simple rules of the Code of Conduct. Kinda makes you wonder if there are other things he doesn't understand, perhaps something that is coloring his version of the events.

ExpeditersOnline is not "Dispute Resolution Central", nor is it "The He-Said/She-Said Whiner's Paradise". I certainly hope you made that clear to James in the phone conversation.

I can asure you James is a vey good driver or i wouldnt have told him about Charles, he may not understand the rules of conduct here, but i do know all that is involved here, I consider both these parties as my friends and hope this gets resolved. He is not coloring this and as i said Im not sure why he hasnt been paid, James is a stand up guy and does great work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Lisa,
Slow to pay is a lot different from refusing to pay.

Also warning people may not be a problem when it is done right. Openly stating that X has a problem and he/she is an idiot or won't talk to you in a post may not be the best thing to do while as I stated create a thread and just say;

Anyone driving for X, contact me - PM preferred.

IT WORKS. if someone is searching for info on that carrier, then they will run across the thread and PM you directly.

There is not just a legal issue here, the site has a responsibility not to become liable for what is said but also somewhat of a problem with expectations MANY seem to have about how this all works tying it with a lack of having the proper tools at one's disposal. Many are just too cheap to invest in the tools, be it a lawyer or an accountant and with the revenue being more than $50k average and the equipment being sometimes $100k, it would be a rather dumb thing not to have the right tools.

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
You know, I had every intention of posting a nameless yet descriptive post about a particular carrier who has, in the last 6 months, become slow to pay. Three other expediters have already terminated contract with them since January because of the slow pay and Napoleon Syndrome of the owner.

However, history shows I would be branded a liar for not naming them publicly...or a troublemaker for calling them out.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

I know there are always 2 sides to every story and that creates a problem on here. Its to bad the real problems cant be addressed here and others warned although i have seen it before here.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I don't know how this all works or if Lawrence wants to get into a he said she said case, but he might be doing research on his end and then the true story will come out.
Then again maybe not. Like I said not sure EO wants to involve themselves.
But like everyone is saying and I said yesterday, This issue needs to be kept in PM's and not in the public forum...Later on if all the accusations are true then maybe they will be allowed to be posted, but if you dealing with lawyers etc. Keep it private!!!