paying to park in front lot at Ta in Ontario,ca

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Heard a rumor that the Ta East in Ontario,Ca is starting to charge for parking in the front lot. Any one heard this rumor? True or false ,cost? Last time there they we're making everyone get parking permit's.They even woke people up during the nite to get a permit. :confused::mad::(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Heard a rumor that the Ta East in Ontario,Ca is starting to charge for parking in the front lot. Any one heard this rumor? True or false ,cost? Last time there they we're making everyone get parking permit's.They even woke people up during the nite to get a permit. :confused::mad::(

Gee, it was more fun that time we were there. That place is bad.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Diane and I were there today. It is true. TA East in Ontario, CA is starting to charge for parking in the front lot. See this post for more info.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I hope they don't start pulling that crap at the TA in Laredo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Last time in Laredo, 2 months ago, T/A wasn't. As a matter of fact, they had even stopped charging the back lot. As a result, their back lot was nearly full and Pilot's was fairly empty.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
well if i had to guess, this is probably a site specific thing. i also bet a few well placed phone calls might put a stop to it. heck, corporate might not even know its going on. if that is the case we will go back to our other free/safe parking place full time when we get that way. im sorry, i just refuse to pay to park. i bet an rv could pull in an not be charged a dime.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
well if i had to guess, this is probably a site specific thing. i also bet a few well placed phone calls might put a stop to it. heck, corporate might not even know its going on. if that is the case we will go back to our other free/safe parking place full time when we get that way. im sorry, i just refuse to pay to park. i bet an rv could pull in an not be charged a dime.

What T/A will do is inadverdently bump up business for the next closest Pilot, J, Love's, or mom and pop. I don't know, but I suspect someone, maybe a coffee jockey, happened to look out the window one fine day in Laredo and noticed the difference between their lot and J's.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no close Pilot or loves .

The difference between the straight trucks and the vans in front comes down too you can park in the back fenced lot where as we cannot and we have to pay for unsecured parking.

I did send a email to T/A asking where they stand on this issue. Till I get a answer I'll be using Pilot and Love's for my fuel.

I still need to get a hold of Love's to find out when their going to roll out their expeditor program that I heard about at MATS.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is no close Pilot or loves .

The difference between the straight trucks and the vans in front comes down too you can park in the back fenced lot where as we cannot and we have to pay for unsecured parking.

There is nothing secure about the big back lot at the Ontario East TA. It's a zoo back there. We like the front lot because the truck is safer, the lot is cleaner, it is quiet and it is safer for Diane to walk inside after dark.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is nothing secure about the big back lot at the Ontario East TA. It's a zoo back there. We like the front lot because the truck is safer, the lot is cleaner, it is quiet and it is safer for Diane to walk inside after dark.

It is much safer and cleaner out front to be sure.

The other problem is that there is not much competition in the area for truck stops/parking etc.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand about parking in back, but vanners have no choice where we park, because truckstops
Don't consider us a truck like a straight truck.

The back lot is fenced in, therefore, truckstops consider that secured parking and can use that as a excuse to charge someone to park there. Where as car lot in front is considered unsecured parking.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The back lot is fenced in, therefore, truckstops consider that secured parking and can use that as a excuse to charge someone to park there. Where as car lot in front is considered unsecured parking.

Truck stops do not need an excuse to charge for parking. They own the property and have the right to charge whatever they want, front lot or back, for a stated reason (like to be fair to bobtail tractors) or for no stated reason. It is interesting to see truck stops across the contry with unmanned booths in their parking lots. One time they charged for parking but now their booths are vacant and parking is free.

I can see where truck stops would be leery of vans. While expediter vans are working trucks, there are many more vans that serve as mobile shelters for vagrants who would happily hang out at truck stops if permitted to do so.

lilriverfan

Seasoned Expediter
i was at that front lot at TA east yesterday, had a conversation with that big ol security dude, we were that try hours truck went over and dropped load in ontario. And decided to get ahead start on most likely DH to el paso by parking over in thousand palms ca

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
One reason they may have done it is for the last three or four months the bobtail tractors had been parking up front max'ing out the lot.So now they have no reason to park up front seeing that they have to pay now.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One reason they may have done it is for the last three or four months the bobtail tractors had been parking up front max'ing out the lot.So now they have no reason to park up front seeing that they have to pay now.

They always made the bobtails move.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope, there are times bobtails took up most of the area.

Talked to manager reason for charging straight trucks are one bobtail drivers complained you parked free, two since you could park in paid lot Ontario T/A now wants either fuel receipts or store reciepts .

Looks like vanners won't have a problem not paying since we're not allowed in the truck parking area

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I can see where truck stops would be leery of vans. While expediter vans are working trucks, there are many more vans that serve as mobile shelters for vagrants who would happily hang out at truck stops if permitted to do so.

The two look so much alike it's hard for me to tell them apart........:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

Monty

Expert Expediter
As I posted in another thread ....

"25 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is waiting for me ...."

Well, maybe not, but 25 miles from Ontario, up I-15 is Hisperia .... the Pilot, The Outpost .. all free, and away from the smog.

I always took that place instead of Ontario.

And just 11 miles north at Siearra Ave, (I think) is a jack in the box and a bunch of other outlets, they have truck parking alongside the road there, and I'm sure the vans could get into the parking lots.

Loose those truckstops!