pay rate ALL Miles

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It would be foolish to buy into the fact "that is all we have in it". Those are dispatch code words for "yes we are screwing you because we can".
True dat.

I once took a load 380 miles to an area where a hurricane was to hit a few hours after I delivered. Which it did. The load was hot, hot, hot. The shipper, who was also the customer, called the carrier directly, no broker middleman. They paid dearly to get it there. A premium was charged because of where it was going. The load paid me $387. I asked for an extra $50 to help with the deadhead out of there, and was told, "That's all we have in the load. There's not $50 extra to give you." The problem was that I saw the actual line haul bill to the customer from the carrier. The customer even gave me a copy of it without a request for it, and commented that as high as it was, they'd have paid twice that to get it there. The customer paid $1700 and change for the load. That was not an isolated incident.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Dispatch's job is to get it hauled as cheaply as they can.
My job is to be as profitable as I can get away with.
When I can't get the numbers I want, it's time to move on.
Learn the art of negotiation. Watch your surroundings. Keep yourself in a financial condition that you can say no.
But always remember,it's easier for a company to get a new contractor than for the company to get a new customer.

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
If one is getting 1.50 as a flat rate and is offered a load at .80 cents, wouldn't they still get the 1.50 if on a flat rate program? What am I not getting? Why send bargain offers below your rate?

As for rates, unless you are seeing what is actually billed to the customer, you have no idea what or how many people it passed through as already mentioned. Just the same, in most cases a outside carrier will get a higher rate than a carriers own contractors for the same load.
It would be foolish to buy into the fact "that is all we have in it". Those are dispatch code words for "yes we are screwing you because we can".
Many nameless carriers operate this way so it isn't just a issue with the Fed.

I'm not on flat rate but on percentage program 59.5%.

As for FDCC flat rate program it's $1.00 plus fsc so at today's fsc that would be $1.30 flat rate for comparison in this conversation.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I was with that carrier for eight years and am not without insight into its operations. The difference between me and many who remain happy with the carrier in question is that I lost the willingness to accept the new ways of doing business. I lost the ability to play under the new "rules."

It is a different company than it was when we started in 2003. The man is asking questions. I am offering my views.

We got offered the same stream of sub $1 loads that all contractors did. We negotiated as many did. It did not use to happen that we got offered such loads at all, then it became common. Also increasing in frequency was a "maybe" answer to counter offers we made. They told us they would offer it to other trucks first before meeting our price.

That's common among brokers and it could be considered fair play. It is a bad-faith action, I belive, when your contract describes a different dispatch system and when the company fails to discolse to the fleet the other deals it has going.

I'm not saying that is illegal, but it comes nowhere close to the fair dealing I expect when entering into a business relationship.

Phil, Phil, Phil.

As Rich said, you have no idea whether there is bad faith here or not. Your personal disdain for FedEx is clouding your objectivity.

Let's say, for example, the Fed books an NLM load, that they HAVE to cover, and they booked it at $2.00/mile....all in. They send out to the O/O at $1.20, or his 60% (close). Is that bad faith?

We received an offer, a few months back, for $.29/all in miles. I'm sure it was a mistake. Don't think I didn't screenshot it for a good joke in the future.

Busop-
We run a hair cheaper than you. However, your fuel costs scare the snot out of me. Wayyyyyyy too high, IMHO. You driving a W900? Sending you a PM if you want to discuss.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As Rich said, you have no idea whether there is bad faith here or not. Your personal disdain for FedEx is clouding your objectivity.

Let's say, for example, the Fed books an NLM load, that they HAVE to cover, and they booked it at $2.00/mile....all in. They send out to the O/O at $1.20, or his 60% (close). Is that bad faith?

With those numbers, and with the contract we had (close), no it would not be a bad-faith offer. Our contract stated that we would receive an exact percentage of the gross pay (and the company had the option to pay more). That number would equate to $1.20 (close), so to offer $1.20 would be good faith act. You present a squeaky-clean hypothetical situation that favors the company.

So, to carry your hypothetical further, when we were with the company, contractors complained bitterly about the dozens and dozens of load offers they received weekly that paid well under $1.00 a mile to the truck. Are you suggesting that the company is now making it a regular practice to bid loads at $1.30 a mile ($0.80 to the truck) to $1.66 a mile ($1.00 to the truck) with the obligation to cover them all and the expectation that they can get the fleet to do so?

Digressing a bit, but hopefully staying on topic as the OP requested, here's a story that illustrates more about what I mean when I say bad faith.

A dispatcher once asked us and we agreed to roll on a load that needed to be picked up because the truck first dispatched on it broke down. We left immediately and got a significant number of miles into it when the load was canceled.

Confused, we called to see what was up. The dispatcher told us that she never took the other truck off the load in case that driver would be able get his truck running again and cover the load. He did just that and she pulled us off the load.

When we asked for dry run pay, she said it could not be paid because the other truck was never taken off the load. We pushed back but the contractor coordinator agreed with the dispatcher and assured us that she had known that dispatcher for years and that it would never happen that the dispatcher would intentionally dispatch two trucks on the same load. This dispatcher was a person of the highest integrity, we were told, and we would have to simply accept the fact that we would not be paid because of her honest mistake.

To me, that's bad faith. It's bad faith to knowingly dispatch two trucks on the same load. It's bad faith to not pay the dry run pay one of the trucks had legitimately earned. It's bad faith to explain away the bad-faith deeds by appealing to the integrity and good intentions of the bad actor.

We did not push beyond thatt. The amount of money was not large, and by that time, because of other such incidents, we were begining to belive the company was beyond redemption.

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I don't know as since I've started we haven't run any reduced loads. In the past 3 weeks I've done about 12,000 miles all at our rate.

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know as since I've started we haven't run any reduced loads. In the past 3 weeks I've done about 12,000 miles all at our rate.

Are you on with FDCC?? Do you run on percentage or flat rate?? Can I ask what is 'your rate'??

Thanks

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Yes and flat rate. Pm me for rate but I don't feel comfortable putting it out in public.

We did the flat rate for 6 months. We never were offered a reduced rate. We were offered additional pay for accessorials and Hazmat.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think someone already posted that the flat rate was 1.00 all miles and FSC. Not sure what the secret is with that? With regards to Phil's situation, all the information should have been available via the qc from both trucks. Wouldn't matter to me whether the dispatcher was there a day or 10 years.
Maybe the fleet owner in me, but I would have pushed back hard. Not because of the money, but because of the principle.
Companies have the money for these situations. I could care less whether they have the money from the load or not. Just not a relevant factor in that type of situation.
If the company is that broke, I really shouldn't have trucks leased to them?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did a driver assist,my liftgate to unload his truck.
He was a flat rate E
Said he was $1.75 all miles,loaded and empty.

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Im on with the fed for 5 yrs, i used to turn down 9 out of 10 too. I have switched to flat rate after turning down 24 in a row. Anyway, your TD rate is about right.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I get a buck a mile plus fuel charge, if big cat is getting more im surprised. Oh weel so much for my four star award!!!

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
ATeam, I was once cheated out of cancellation pay and the same excuse was given, load was double booked.

I thought it was bs at the time, but havent thought about it again till i read your post.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
59.5 percent? It was 60 percent when we were there and 61 percent for a reefer truck. When did the 59.5 come to be?

It's been 59.5 for awhile. They pay for the signage and give you $1000 a year for having the huge new ones on your truck.

HUGE I tell ya!

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345892510138.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345892510138.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 32