Paul defends Romney

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Could be political posturing designed to ingratiate himself with voters. There's a lot of speculation Ron Paul wants to pass the baton to son, Rand, when this election cycle is over. If that's the case, Paul the Elder has a lot of bridge-building ahead. Ron Paul's legacy within the Republican Party isn't viewed favorably.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey, I'm gonna run for president, but I'm gonna defend truth and honesty regardless. Yeah, that's hilarious. <snort>

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Hey, I'm gonna run for president, but I'm gonna defend truth and honesty regardless. Yeah, that's hilarious. <snort>

So romney is truthful and honest then.And here I was thinking some of you claim paul is the only honest one in the race.:eek:Look at it any way you want not smart on Pauls part to be defending the front runner.Instead the smart thing would have been to keep his mouth shut.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ron Paul's legacy within the Republican Party isn't viewed favorably.
Well, I guess I was unaware that you had been elevated to speaking on behalf of the Republican Party ... :rolleyes:

FWIW, as a lifelong Republican I can assure you that you certainly don't speak for me, or many, many others within the party ...

As far as bridge-building goes, you and others who are similarly inclined might want to consider a little bit of it - because without it, you will never win in the general ... :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So romney is truthful and honest then.
That's an extraordinarily bad and incorrect conclusion drawn from my statement. Paul wasn't defending Romney as being truthful and honest, he was attacking those who twist the truth and then used the twisted fallacy to attack Romney with it.

Look at it any way you want not smart on Pauls part to be defending the front runner.Instead the smart thing would have been to keep his mouth shut.
That he was defending Romney at all is a slalcious fallacious spin of the truth itself. He wasn't.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
So romney is truthful and honest then.
A dishonest person isn't necessarily lying all the time ....

And here I was thinking some of you claim paul is the only honest one in the race.
He may be the only one that isn't dishonest on a regular basis ... or even at all ...

Look at it any way you want not smart on Pauls part to be defending the front runner.
That may be a rather simplistic view of things there Bubbie .....

An honorable person will speak up when someone is unfairly characterized ...

Instead the smart thing would have been to keep his mouth shut.
No - that would have been the cowardly thing to do ..... :rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So romney is truthful and honest then.And here I was thinking some of you claim paul is the only honest one in the race.:eek:Look at it any way you want not smart on Pauls part to be defending the front runner.Instead the smart thing would have been to keep his mouth shut.

I am not really a Paul fan but this statement by him puts me one step closer to being one. I will like someone faster for doing the right thing than I will for doing something because it is supposedly the smart thing.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Could be political posturing designed to ingratiate himself with voters. There's a lot of speculation Ron Paul wants to pass the baton to son, Rand, when this election cycle is over. If that's the case, Paul the Elder has a lot of bridge-building ahead. Ron Paul's legacy within the Republican Party isn't viewed favorably.

I'd be worried if it were. Kind of like a Mafia don saying of someone, "That guy's too honest...that really burns me."

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Those who believe Ron Paul's motives are above reproach are free to do so.

The bigger news tonight is Romney's win in New Hampshire. If Romney wins either South Carolina and/or Florida in the next few weeks, it will become exceedingly difficult to deny him the GOP nomination. Putting a mushy moderate forward as the standard bearer of the GOP probably ensures Obama's reelection. Romney is less electable than John McCain was four years ago.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Those who believe Ron Paul's motives are above reproach are free to do so.
As are those who believe otherwise .... ;)

The bigger news tonight is Romney's win in New Hampshire.
Considering where he's from and where he was polling at I don't see it as all that big of news ....

Although from a strictly conservative perspective I can certainly see your point ;)

If Romney wins either South Carolina and/or Florida in the next few weeks, it will become exceedingly difficult to deny him the GOP nomination.
That is the "common wisdom" .... :rolleyes:

Putting a mushy moderate forward as the standard bearer of the GOP probably ensures Obama's reelection.
That is a dilemma that y'all face ...

Romney is less electable than John McCain was four years ago.
I think you are spot on in that call ....

Question is: what to do about it ?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
What to do about it? Send Ron Paul out of the country on a humanitarian mission; and while he is gone, have a brokered convention which produces a conservative nominee.

Donald Rumsfeld 2012!!!!!

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The two with the correct response were Paul and Santorum. They maintained their Conservative principles on this issue and didn't try to play this for a political advantage. The other three such as Gingrich,Huntsman and Perry did and lost credibility as conservatives. Those three are done,done, and done for doing that.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
LOL .... I like the thoughts from Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton, although he admittedly is biased (being the grandson in-law ;)), in terms of uniting behind an anti-Romney ... excerpt:

When added to Paul's top-tier showing in Iowa, it's clear he is the sole Republican candidate who can take on and defeat both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.

The race is becoming more clearly a two-man race between establishment candidate Mitt Romney and Ron Paul, the candidate of authentic change. That means there is only one true conservative choice.

Ron Paul has won more votes in Iowa and New Hampshire than any candidate but Mitt Romney.

Ron Paul and Mitt Romney have been shown in national polls to be the only two candidates who can defeat Barack Obama.

And Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are the only two candidates who can run a full, national campaign, competing in state after state over the coming weeks and months. Ron Paul's fundraising numbers -- over $13 million this quarter -- also prove he will be able to compete with Mitt Romney. No other candidate can do all of these things.

Ron Paul is clearly the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney as the campaign goes forward.

We urge Ron Paul’s opponents who have been unsuccessfully trying to be the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney to unite by getting out of the race and uniting behind Paul’s candidacy.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Who is Jesse Benton? Ron Paul's grandson-in-law? Is young Jesse a paid staffer? Doing the granddaughter a favor? Nepotism?

Does Ron Paul draw a full Congressional salary while saying he would refuse a full Presidential salary?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Who is Jesse Benton? Ron Paul's grandson-in-law?
Yes ....

Is young Jesse a paid staffer?
I would imagine ....

Doing the granddaughter a favor?
Undoubtedly .....

Nepotism?
Is not the laborer is worthy of his reward ?

Does Ron Paul draw a full Congressional salary while saying he would refuse a full Presidential salary?
I suspect so ... however he does not and has not ever participated in the cushy Congressional pension plan ... nor did he ever except government reimbursement for medical services rendered to low-income folks who couldn't afford it, opting to provide it for free, as charity .....

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Yes ....

I would imagine ....

Undoubtedly .....

Is not the laborer is worthy of his reward ?

I suspect so ... however he does not and has not ever participated in the cushy Congressional pension plan ... nor did he ever except government reimbursement for medical services rendered to low-income folks who couldn't afford it, opting to provide it for free, as charity .....
Ron Paul is hardly Dr. Albert Schweitzer. Many physicians opt out of government reimbursement. Endless paperwork for very little remuneration. From a tax perspective, writing off such accounts as a loss makes sense.

Anyone prepared to concede Ron Paul just might be a weaselly rascal?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Ron Paul is hardly Dr. Albert Schweitzer. Many physicians opt out of government reimbursement. Endless paperwork for very little remuneration. From a tax perspective, writing off such accounts as a loss makes sense.
Yup - write off the bad debt - liquidate the mal-investment ... ;)

Anyone prepared to concede Ron Paul just might be a weaselly rascal?
Yo Neo - take the red pill - the doctor has the cure for what ails us :D:

dr-ron-paul.png

Last edited: