Part IV: An Opposing Viewpoint

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Witness from your posts you appear to be jealous of Beck in some way. Are you?:D

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally, I find Beck to be annoying on both radio and TV. However, there's no denying he was able to get a huge turnout at the Lincoln Memorial this past weekend. What's significant about this is not necessarily his charisma or popularity, but that the makeup of the crowd was people that usually aren't attracted to events like this - conservative, middle-class, silent majority types. If this segment of the population is awakening to political activism (Tea Partiers?) the liberal Democrats are in big trouble. It could well be that middle America has had enough of arrogant liberal politicians, their corrupt congressional leaders and a dangerously incompetent president. The polls and statistical indicators that are showing a GOP blowout this Nov could easily be underestimating the approaching shakeup. Keep in mind this is likely to happen even without a significant or effective Republican leader or likely presidential candidate as a spokesperson for the constituency to rally around. Once that person emerges and a GOP message begins to gel, the disparity in the polls will be even worse. It could well come to pass that Barack Hussein Obama won't even be re-nominated for a second term in office. So much for hope and change.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pilgrim I'm not a huge fan of Beck either. I just delight when I see libs get in a tizzy over him. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Witness, I had a great post for you to read but being I am out of patients with this d*mn computer, I will leave you with this;

Not one thing you said convinced me that Beck is a threat to anyone, he is like others who have made money talking about subjects that people enjoy talking about. The little snippet of the article has failed to convince me there is a foundation to their claim he contradicted himself based on two lines which have nothing to do with the following statements they quoted and makes it more or less looking like a bunch of journalistic fools who can't figure out the who, what, why, how and when means.

For the past 90 years we have had radio and tv preachers, some were bad, some brought the word to people who needed it. Some did it out of love for God and Jesus but a lot of them did it because of money and only money. I can list a number of them who are not poor, who have amassed fortunes beyond belief and within that list, every one of them has twisted the word for their own gain of power and/or money. Not one of them can claim they were never contradictory or hypocritical and not one of them seems to care what others think.

Beck is no different than other entertainers, he is making money, getting people to talk and think while actually doing some good. Not everyone is perfect and he is one of the few who admit it. BUT he has yet to come over my house, through my radio or TV and preach to me what my religion tells me is right or wrong as have others. He has yet to setup a church or twist the word around to say something it is not. His message is simple, it is scary for many who view the bible as a complex set of rules or as some who have a inner hatred of his religion because of their past.

As for Mormons, they may not agree with you, but again I don't agree with them on different levels. I had more than on opportunity to learn about their religion and just like Islam, sometimes people need to open themselves up to learn and get rid of the fear of the unknown.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK Witness, here is the thing, I agree with you now that Glenn Beck is a hypocrite.

Why?

Because no one who is using the image of Rev MLK uses Dr. MLK if he is religious as Beck claims he is. Sorry but Rev King was a man of God first and foremost, a doctor (Phd) far second. By claiming to be religious as much as Beck as claimed, he is hypocritical when he invokes the wrong name for a man of God, especially at a rally about religion.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
OK Witness, here is the thing, I agree with you now that Glenn Beck is a hypocrite.

Why?

Because no one who is using the image of Rev MLK uses Dr. MLK if he is religious as Beck claims he is. Sorry but Rev King was a man of God first and foremost, a doctor (Phd) far second. By claiming to be religious as much as Beck as claimed, he is hypocritical when he invokes the wrong name for a man of God, especially at a rally about religion.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen you post. Tell me you're joking......

Rev....Dr.....do you really think that matters? This makes Beck a hypocrite? Wrong name?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've spent a lot of time in black churches, and others, where the overwhelming majority of those church members, pastors and preachers included, refer to him as Dr. King. Sometimes it was "The Reverend Doctor King", but most of the time it was just plain "Doctor King". A black man with a doctorate is a big deal to most blacks, and will take reverent precedence over that of mere "reverend" for a preacher with a doctorate. Even white preachers with doctorates will more often than not be referred to as "Doctor".

That's not to say Beck isn't a hypocrite, he is, just not for the reason of his use of MLK. Beck wants you to think he is the modern day Howard Beale, but he's a Bible-thumping bunko artist whose only God is ratings. He's got a book coming out on Sept 14th. What a coincidence.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rev....Dr.....do you really think that matters?

Yes it does matter, at least I do.

Regardless who people think he was, he was ordained in the Ebenzer Baptist Church in 1947, prior to his education. He was a church leader in several churches and he was a man of God first and foremost. He pursued his doctorate on Religion, not on economics, or anything else. He received his Bachelor of Divinity and then started his doctral studies in Christian systematic theology, which he received his doctorate because of his dissertation "A Comparison of the Conceptions of God in the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Henry Nelson Wieman."

However I do agree with Turtle, the black man with the doctorate is a big deal to some, more so than the reverend part. But it begs to ask the question, is Rev King an icon more so than his desires and message or are people treating him as a god?

so with all the hoopla, I think you and the shelled guy over there seems to have missed the point - it was all sarcastic to begin with. When you look at the little snippet of an article, as I pointed out the foundation about beck seems to fall apart just like my post made no sense at all.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MLK was a man of God to a point, and an intellectual to a point, but mostly he was a man on a mission of civil rights for his fellow black citizens. It's been pretty well documented that he plagiarized a considerable portion of his doctoral thesis, and there was one of the Ten Commandments that he often disregarded when an attractive woman happened to be in the right place at the right time.

But what the heck - his accomplishments in the arena of the civil rights movement overshadowed these human frailties, and those accomplishments constitute his considerable legacy.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But what the heck - his accomplishments in the arena of the civil rights movement overshadowed these human frailties, and those accomplishments constitute his considerable legacy.

But I think the nation as a whole dwells on the man and not the accomplishments he achieved but more importantly we as a nation cast away the purpose that drove him to achieve. We have stepped backward into a darker time and continue to as we still view people with contempt and divide them up as either victims or as perpetrators.

We no longer listen to his speeches and can understand what they mean. We no longer practice what he wanted us to practice but instead many protect his legacy guarding it from those who no longer exist. Instead it should have been guarded against those who twisted to fit an agenda.

Have we really even come close to what he set out to achieve or have we just given it all lip service as a nation and still judge everyone by their race?

TO many he is a man of God, preaching what others have preached before, reaching through action what others have missed. He is like others who have fallen, and like others, the message is lost.