Panther truth

CofTerror

Active Expediter
I am looking for someone to tell me the policy of panther broker freight. I have been getting mixed info. I met a driver in NJ that said he was not allowed to broker a load out until after 48 hours. Another said that wasn't the case. I have also read posts on this and other forums where drivers complained of sitting, and after I looked at the load boards it seemed there was no reason to sit...

Please explain.

Why would somebody sit for 5 days when there are loads at 2.14 per mile headed towards Illinois?

Thanks
chris

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Chris: only the person who did it can answer the last question, but I can answer the first. It's best to call Panther and get the official response. Asking a bunch of drivers is guaranteed to get a bunch of answers, and how do you know which [if any] is correct?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with Cheri....spend some time make a few calls and get it straight from Panther...if you ask here you'll be in the same position...and not really know....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I just shot my company a message over the Qualcomm and they told me what I needed to do to get my own brokered load. As far as the last question I think some drivers are not willing to or don't understand they are running their own business and can get a load on their own after waiting the amount of time the company they are leased on with has expired.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just shot my company a message over the Qualcomm and they told me what I needed to do to get my own brokered load. As far as the last question I think some drivers are not willing to or don't understand they are running their own business and can get a load on their own after waiting the amount of time the company they are leased on with has expired.
Some carriers won't let operators do that....exclusive use....OR they take about 15% of the load you get to use their authority and ins..
and they don't pay you till they get paid and no comdata advances on said load...

CofTerror

Active Expediter
I have been talking to panther but the answers I get don't match up and are very cryptic. I have thought that perhaps it may be an equiptment issue (no loads for vans or STs) but who knows. Also I understand the problems of getting info from drivers-- I am just trying to do my home work before bringing my truck and codriver to panther. There is a chance my codriver won't come with me and I would really like to know how solos do at panther etc...

I learned a long time ago not to trust any recruiters or company for that matter.

Let me put out an offer:

if a solo tractor owner at panther will call me and fill in the blanks that recruiting won't--I will buy you a steak dinner.

Chris 512-540-230 zero.
I have AT&T and unlimited minutes.
Thanks

CofTerror

Active Expediter

Those drivers can get by in the good times but have a way of vanishing in the bad.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Chris,
I don't need a steak dinner to tell you the truth. The rule is 24 hrs if u are in the major freight lane. If you are not it is fair game. I can tell you that all backhauls must be approved by panther and yes they take 15%. I have lined backhauls up before I have delivered and no one has ever enforced the 24 hr rule. You can pm me if u want more info.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am not aware of anything on this 24 hour rule. We have booked loads out of areas before we have even delivered the first. As far as pay, it is on 15 days, not whether that customer has paid or not. You can do an advance if needed but I don't think that many do. Procedures and all pertinent information is available on the drivers web in a PDF file. I would check on the 24 hour thing as that may only apply to tractors since there are less of them?

Last edited:

CofTerror

Active Expediter
What is the panther psa? Also are any of you solo tractor drivers? How are panther's trailers? How is the utililization of solo tractors? How is freight into Laredo and out?

Thanks,
Chris

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What is the panther psa? Also are any of you solo tractor drivers? How are panther's trailers? How is the utililization of solo tractors? How is freight into Laredo and out?

Thanks,
Chris

I would shoot Scuba a PM. He is doing a solo tractor I think and can give you current info on what he is doing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The other issue is it seems in my experience that companies get an attitude when you book your own freight. I hope my company just views it as I am out here to work and I am making them money without them lifting a finger, judging by some of the responses I got when I was working on getting my own load and what I have seen in the past I am a little concerned.