Panther Questions

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Just started with Panther in a cargo van and I'm amazed at how inefficient their 'team' dispatch model is. So far I've had them put me out of service for not responding to a 3:00am load offer in less than 7 minutes (supposed to have 15), not let me talk to a 'team leader' to get a problem solved, posting wrong 'out of service' percentages, etc, ad nauseum...
Is this the norm with Panther and something I have to accept (like bad drivers with road rage) or does it get better, the longer I'm around?

It's difficult to even get a qual-com response to find out where I am on the outboard...

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
we spent 2 years with pp
put out of service 3 times
get used to it
they have some of the best dispachers but they work days or are moved to better places
at night or early am they seem only know how to put you out of service
and think you can wake up accept a load and roling in 5 min or less
but not to keep kicking a worn out night dispacher who by the time they dispached you they had all ready tryed how many outher trucks that were sitting right on top of the load and they refused it
have some understanding and get usta waking up and thinking in seconds not like normal and taking 10 or 15 min to think
:+

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Panther seroiusly needs to hire a few more dispatchers. The qualcomm can only achieve so much! They are growing a little too fast for their own good. Maybe UPS should buy them and fix things. Uh huh...

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
As more time goes by, I see how big the problem Panther is having with dispatch is. Unless on a pro, it is almost impossible to contact dispatch by phone and qual-com questions can go unanswered for upwards of an hour or two. Go to Canada on a load and its really a problem.

I read on this site that they were adding 30 new cargo vans -- maybe that has put them over the line of effectiveness. I wonder if they're trying to 'up their fleet' and 'production stats for a sale or stock offering? From my position as an independent contractor, it's not working worth a #####...

Its a shame, because I really like expediting.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
I think Panther is losing a few vans a week also. Sometimes, they do things that can really get you angry! 2 months ago, I had to wait all night in Windsor because Panther didn't have their system worked out with their ACE service provider. I can see why so many people don't want to go to Canada nowadays.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first 6 weeks with Panther was real trying. I wasn't up to the constant babysiting. Too many phone calls, and QC messages. Are you awake, are you rolling did you brush your teeth... Things have gotten much better. I still have occasional bouts of PMS (Panther Meltdown Syndrome) but they keep me busy.

Twin Pop, I hope you kept track of your time and put in for detention pay.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
I got held up in Windsor for 20 hours and know it was the fault of dispatch not calling ViaSafe. I sent qual-comm after qual-comm message and got no reply, finally when I figured out I could go to a pay phone and call, I got things moving. Newbie lesson #3, "don't rely on Qual-Comm" -- its there for Panther's benefit, not mine.

I had a really slow, frustrating week with not one pro over 200 miles. Beginner's bad luck? Maybe... I talked to other guys I know who started with Panther at the same time as me and they were very busy. Our only difference is they are o/o's and I'm a driver.

I'm chalking my poor first week and a half's performance up to bad luck, tuition costs and experience. I'm optimistic that this week will be better and I'll make money instead of hemorrhaging it, I'm optimistic because I don't think things can get much worse as far as loads, miles and dispatch go.

Of course, if it doesn't pick up, then I'll have to change something -- attitude, carrier, team, waiting strategy, etc...

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Just hang in there. Things will get better and you will soon learn how to work the system to your advantage for loads and talking to dispatch. I have my occasional bouts with panther but i always stay calm and i know what dispatchers go through (next time in seville, go up and sit with some for a while). Anything important like detention, layover, ect you want over the QC, if you talk to them on the phone tell them send it over the QC and get names. Then write down the date/time/who sent the QC message. That way if something comes up you can bring this up to them and they can look up this info. The more info you have and the more you have against them the better you are for arguing.

For the loads, i've heard its slow out there. We've been running pretty good as of recent. Made a few poor decision that slowed us down but we made up for it and got out and enjoyed life.

Now i'm on my way home to detroit so i'm sure we will be mini'd to death. :+

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are getting good advise here. I would also recommend that you voice your complaints directly with Panther. Send emails to the executives listed on their web page.

I am on the drivers council, but we really need you to let the company know what is going on out here. I tell them about the problems with the phone system and they think it is just me complaining.

Also, let them know when they do something right. Like......I am thinking. Will get back to you.

Road Hooligan

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your suggestions -- this forum really is a big plus in the expediting biz.

Email to the execs at Panther is a GREAT idea -- I didn't realize they have email addresses on the Panther website (my fingers are real itchy right now..). I don't like to complain, but on the other hand, how else will things get better? I'm finding my tolerance level is directly related to the miles/loads I'm getting. I wouldn't be nearly as critical if I were making the big bucks.

I'm stuck in an endless loop of Bucyrus to Detroit, Detroit to Windsor...

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
RoadHooligan: I just searched the Panther website and can't find any executive email addresses. All I can find is one for customer service and I'll bet you a coffee that it goes directly to Brandi, the receptionist at the main office in Seville. I would appreciate any contact info for management you might have. You can PM me with it or email me thru the EO website, here. Thanks!

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
You think thats bad,one day my team leader called and asked me why I quit,I hadnt quit I hadnt even talked to anyone for two days.What can I say?

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
The old web site allowed you to be able to email the big dogs but i guess they dont want to be bothered anymore.

The best way to get out of the loop. DH to Indy or Chicago, or maybe even Grand Rapids isnt that bad.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are trying to email someone, just type their name @ pantherexpedite.com
That should get your message there.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry, I haven't looked at Panther's web site for awhile. They no longer give their email addresses. However, you did get the right info. Use the 1st initial and last name followed by pantherexpedite.com.

Road Hooligan

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Got a couple of ?? for you
1 Does the yellow light on th QC come on alot
2 Have they ever offered you a load that you couldn't possibly pick up on time
3 When you push the view status key and then the scrool down key do you ever get the 7FFF in the M9 column.If so try turning the key off then on then off then on and then go back to the screen that shows the M1 thru M9 column and see if the yellow light goes out and the word transmitting shows up at the top of the screen.

If you answers yes to any of these then your problem is the QC itself.If you don't get it fixed soon you might as well go home and sign on with another company.Your going to end up with service failures and failures to respond and dispatch will figure your just a really ****ty driver and will let you sit.I know that doesn't sound very fair but dispatch and safety place alot of confidence in the QC and have no way to know that the QC is broken.Been there done that don't want to go back!

If you call safety while the yellow light is on they can check the QC through Qualcom.Then they will get you into a shop to get it fixed.