Panther Bought Conway Now??

cadillack

Expert Expediter
I have been a driver for Panther2 and now a owner/operator and I never recieve any more info or contact from them then I did when I was a driver.Seems like I have to get any and all news from other drivers,this forum or the ole learning curve.. experience. I wonder if conway had any government contacts. We are elite services with P2 but a little disapointed with the load offers.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Personally, I believe this kind of transportation,is saturated, vans str trucks are easy to get into therefor there are so many, Conway let loose a type of transportation a couple of years ago, Trucking is the canary in the coal mine, and conway is a smart profitable company, I believe they are reading the tea leaves. And decided to cut the marginal part of their company, ...expiditing. Iworry for those with truck payments.. you might be in for a rough ride, I hope not. Conwa-way has "ate their young".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't believe there is enough of a difference between qualifications on drivers and trucks to make a substantial difference regardless of the carriers. We bid and haul the same freight for Fedex and that isn't a issue.
Could make a difference on a few accounts, but not many. Coverage, on time percentage, and price point are the bigger issues.
I don't really see this as a Fedex verses Panther down the road. Fedex (here locally in TN)their home corporate office has made it clear it intends to expand their LTL business. That story was on EO here as well (March06). Fedex is catering to some degree different customers than Panther.
FedexCC is closer to Conway Now Expedite in that it is a small segment within a large company. Panther's focus is strictly on expedite.
Time will tell on how it all washes out, but personally, I 'm pretty excited about it. If there is any kind of slow down, I still have the ability to obtain my own freight which the opportunity isn't available at too many carriers. As mentioned in another post, I don't really see a downside.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
>Personally, I believe this kind of transportation,is
>saturated, vans str trucks are easy to get into therefor
>there are so many, Conway let loose a type of transportation
>a couple of years ago, Trucking is the canary in the coal
>mine, and conway is a smart profitable company, I believe
>they are reading the tea leaves. And decided to cut the
>marginal part of their company, ...expiditing. Iworry for
>those with truck payments.. you might be in for a rough
>ride, I hope not. Conwa-way has "ate their young".

you speak alot of sense. this industry is just overflowing with trucks,vans and so on. in order to stay in business the companies that are left over like tri state and express 1 are going to have to find other freight to haul besides expedite. all of the expediters are in trouble and we may look back at this as panther expanding a dying industry. what are other companies doing to provide freight? i have thought about going back to tri state because they have a pretty friendly dispacth and are easier to get in touch with. but i am leary about moving when everything points to the death of expediting. right now with my company i would say that my expedite loads are twenty five percent of what i haul.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I don't believe there is enough of a difference between
>qualifications on drivers and trucks to make a substantial
>difference regardless of the carriers. We bid and haul the
>same freight for Fedex and that isn't a issue.
>Could make a difference on a few accounts, but not many.
>Coverage, on time percentage, and price point are the bigger
>issues.

That may be true for general freight, but when you are pitting White Glove against Elite Services, truck and driver qualifications make all the difference in the world. That is not true for government loads where contract terms are identical and where, as often as not, it is the location of the truck that determines which company gets the load. But for high-end electronics, lab products, art work, pharmaceuticals and other such freight that requires White Glove care, FedEx is very wise to set and maintain the highest standards in the industry.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>>I don't believe there is enough of a difference between
>>qualifications on drivers and trucks to make a substantial
>>difference regardless of the carriers. We bid and haul the
>>same freight for Fedex and that isn't a issue.
>>Could make a difference on a few accounts, but not many.
>>Coverage, on time percentage, and price point are the bigger
>>issues.
>
>That may be true for general freight, but when you are
>pitting White Glove against Elite Services, truck and driver
>qualifications make all the difference in the world. That is
>not true for government loads where contract terms are
>identical and where, as often as not, it is the location of
>the truck that determines which company gets the load. But
>for high-end electronics, lab products, art work,
>pharmaceuticals and other such freight that requires White
>Glove care, FedEx is very wise to set and maintain the
>highest standards in the industry.
=================================================
No real impact as Panther is hauling these now with Elite services.
We have done, electronics, phamaceuticals, ect.
But to be fair.....haven't done any artwork

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
Okay then, I'm going to take the lack of response to my question to mean that I must be the only one in here that isn't leased.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I hardly see the death of expediting in this. As long as there is time definite needs, there will be time definite carriers.

But just as there are a surplus of vans and straight trucks right now wanting to haul expedited freight of any kind,we must understand that expedite cannot grow as long as the mindset is to fight over who runs freight for the next automotive plant. There are plenty of industies that need time definite delivery, but the company who will market a solution to them is the one who will take it to the next level.

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter
I have been advised that the merger of ConWay and Panther won't affect me as much as my participation on this board so I think I will keep my opinions to myself for now.

Let's just say both are affecting me this morning.

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Sold for $7 - $8 Million? Seems like P2 got a great price.

Con-way Brokerage, a separate operating division involved in asset and non-asset based truckload sales, will remain with Con-way as part of the Con- way Transportation reporting segment.

Proceeds from the sale will be between $7 million and $8 million, dependent on certain incentive provisions. The company expects the transaction to be concluded and reported during the third quarter.

http://tinyurl.com/zdjx3

2millionplus

Expert Expediter
2millionplus

I see lots of very good comments. As you all know me, or most of you do, I have been a recruiter for Con-way, driver line and planner for the last 8 years, before that I drove OTR busses for 25 years, started with Roberts in 1993 and joined Con-way as a Contractor shortly fter they opened the doors.

We found out about the sale on Saturday morning, and what a wonderful weekend that made for. I have no regrets as I am know for the truth and will remain that way. I know that many of you may have listen to my wrath, but you all know that I have the utmost respect for 'truckers' and have tried to treat all of you with the respect that you deserve.

I will miss all of you, but I will not be far away. I have had a few offers from other companies and will continue to be at your service if the occasion arises.

No, I had no idea this was coming, if was a good ride while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end. Con-Way was always good to me and I tried to pass it along.

Thanks for all you have done for me. I have made life long friends along the way.

Thinking of you always,
"The Old Man at Con-way"
Mike Blouch
[email protected]
Ex-Recruiter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>I don't believe there is enough of a difference between
>>qualifications on drivers and trucks to make a substantial
>>difference regardless of the carriers. We bid and haul the
>>same freight for Fedex and that isn't a issue.
>>Could make a difference on a few accounts, but not many.
>>Coverage, on time percentage, and price point are the bigger
>>issues.
>
>That may be true for general freight, but when you are
>pitting White Glove against Elite Services, truck and driver
>qualifications make all the difference in the world. That is
>not true for government loads where contract terms are
>identical and where, as often as not, it is the location of
>the truck that determines which company gets the load. But
>for high-end electronics, lab products, art work,
>pharmaceuticals and other such freight that requires White
>Glove care, FedEx is very wise to set and maintain the
>highest standards in the industry.

A reefer is a reefer,a lift gate is a lift gate no matter whose logo is on the side. For the last several years I have watched Panther cut into the Fedexcc customer base. Customers want preminum service. Panther Elite can provide that along with FedexCC W/Glove ,there is nothing about either company that stands out,rates and service are what matters. Based on this buyout with others soon to follow I would not want to be locked into a huge truck payment.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mike B: Right back atcha! I never saw the "wrath", but I saw a lot of the respect, and every driver I've spoken to is aware that the good folks we talked to every day, were just as surprised as we were. It's good to hear that you will have a place to land.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hey Mike B,
Good luck to ya! You were one of our personal favorite folk's at the Con. If you ever run into Marissa and Yvonne tell them god bless and we are "rooting" for all of you!
This kinda reminds me of the seasons end or the final episode of Mash....I miss that show and I will miss the folks at Conway. Alot of good posts here and Kudos to jobob on the tea leaf comment, seems a little low (8 million) to purchase a turn key fleet, sounds like a fire sale to me. Anywho good luck to everyone.
Mike and Cyn

tec1959

Expert Expediter
I have to say with PII getting Conway Now I think Its great,It makes a few less players In the market which may make It stronger In the end I think...Getting the little guys out of the way will make the biggg boys who's left will have a stronger customer base for all....I hope I'm not wrong lol........