Panther and Expediters Service

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We have several ES drivers in this community, hopefully one of them will give you their experience.

I'll say this - don't think for a moment this company is just a fleet owner group - their company consists of owner operators, teams and fleet drivers. They're very focused on what they do.

Last fall I toured their new facility in the Memphis area and saw how they have an entire staff to help their fleet in dispatch, location planning, support and financing.
I was very impressed with their operation.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
will they finance a single driver?
You really should call ES and ask them. The best answer you're likely to get here is second hand. They have a phone number and people to talk to for a reason....they WANT to do business. Give 'em a call.

piattteam

Active Expediter
We were with ES as o/o's and were %100 pleased with their service, %100!
Due to circumstances, we are now contract drivers (drive their truck).
We HIGHLY recommend them, in either capacity!
They don't stand behind their drivers, they stand alongside their drivers.
Pm me if you like.
Gary

piattteam

Active Expediter
Doggie Daddy, Yup, we've msged you before on it.
Over a 7 month period, we spent about $25,000!!!!! on repairs.
We replaced everything on he front of the engine that moved, rotated, jiggled, squeaked, etc., except the water pump. That was going to be our next change out.
New a/c compressor, condenser, lines, valves.
New radiator, all new radiator hoses, heater hoses, hose clamps.
We really think we had her about %95-99 ready to go another several hundred thousand miles incident free. Just, like a marriage that has gone bad, the feelings just weren't there any longer.
I honestly feel like whoever buys her will do well with her now.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Has anyone here lease a truck through Expediters Service and hauled for Panther? If so, how was your experience?

Expediters Services is a good company as they have helped people with the chance to own their own truck.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Doggie Daddy, Yup, we've msged you before on it.
Over a 7 month period, we spent about $25,000!!!!! on repairs.
We replaced everything on he front of the engine that moved, rotated, jiggled, squeaked, etc., except the water pump. That was going to be our next change out.
New a/c compressor, condenser, lines, valves.
New radiator, all new radiator hoses, heater hoses, hose clamps.
We really think we had her about %95-99 ready to go another several hundred thousand miles incident free. Just, like a marriage that has gone bad, the feelings just weren't there any longer.
I honestly feel like whoever buys her will do well with her now.
That was definitely a rough start to the industry. Sounds like you've kept your spirits up and escaped to fight another day! Attitude is everything and you seem to have it. Hopefully, you have seen the worst of your expedite career and nothing but blue skies from now on! :thumbup:

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
You really should call ES and ask them. The best answer you're likely to get here is second hand. They have a phone number and people to talk to for a reason....they WANT to do business. Give 'em a call.

2nd that; call and speak to Jeff Tacker, very helpful and nice as can be. They are particularly good for someone without a whole lot of experience, they can help you in so many different ways.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I was with them for a bit. They were extremely nice to work for. I almost went back to work for them with another new carrier when they offered me a position just could never get the app to the new company done being I'm in another truck and not home.

I had an awesome fleet mgr (Alisha) and I made some decent money with them. Would probably still be there if my codriver didn't flake out and quit on me.

Mendoza

Active Expediter
Has anyone here lease a truck through Expediters Service and hauled for Panther? If so, how was your experience?

There's a reason Panther stands for "Parked Always Near Truckstop, Hardly Ever Running."

My experience is you'll spend a lot of time sitting, sometimes for a week. You'd better not have a family to take care of, or a home, and have plenty of extra cash on hand to do a lot of empty moves if you want to run.

Things with this company went downhill since ABF bought them out, including the CEO resigning "effective immediately", and the grapevine says he took a stand against something he didn't agree with. My guess is ABF is cherrypicking the freight and loading it onto their wiggle wagons.

If you're in a cargo van, you can expect to sit even longer, since they've basically flooded the market with vans. Orientations are twice a week, and the turnover rate is very high, but they'll continue to stay in business as long as the labor market keeps supplying them with fresh new suckers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't think there are a lot of success stories about union LTL companies buying dissimilar companies.
Maybe Panther brought something to the table that was a good fit for ABF (aka ABC).
Time will tell.
My guess is Panther will be sold again, at a large loss for ABF/ABC and life will go on.
I don't see ABF getting involved in the day to day operations.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a reason Panther stands for "Parked Always Near Truckstop, Hardly Ever Running."

My experience is you'll spend a lot of time sitting, sometimes for a week. You'd better not have a family to take care of, or a home, and have plenty of extra cash on hand to do a lot of empty moves if you want to run.

Things with this company went downhill since ABF bought them out, including the CEO resigning "effective immediately", and the grapevine says he took a stand against something he didn't agree with. My guess is ABF is cherrypicking the freight and loading it onto their wiggle wagons.

If you're in a cargo van, you can expect to sit even longer, since they've basically flooded the market with vans. Orientations are twice a week, and the turnover rate is very high, but they'll continue to stay in business as long as the labor market keeps supplying them with fresh new suckers.

What you describe is nothing new that has happened since they were bought. A little research would tell you that panther, fedex an e1 are built for team vans. Despite that some solos do learn the system and do decent.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Can't speak to the vans, but the only thing I have noticed is it is a slower start to the first quarter than previous years. I believe that is more of an industry issue rather than just Panther.
Just reading posts here kind of confirms that. Since ABC owns both Panther and ABF, it would have little value in moving freight from one to the other. Actually, it would be more beneficial to move ABF freight to Panther if you are just following pennies.
My guess is you might have spent too much time at a water cooler.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
I think you are right Davekc, we haven't had any of these panther problems so many keep talking about ,of course only been with panther 7yrs! Recently haul an ABF load 3 other Panther drivers picking up there at the same time. Alot better then the UPS fiascos of the past.

Tomtom

Active Expediter
Can't speak to the vans, but the only thing I have noticed is it is a slower start to the first quarter than previous years. I believe that is more of an industry issue rather than just Panther.
Just reading posts here kind of confirms that. Since ABC owns both Panther and ABF, it would have little value in moving freight from one to the other. Actually, it would be more beneficial to move ABF freight to Panther if you are just following pennies.
My guess is you might have spent too much time at a water cooler.
not slow for lack of freight but lack of company willing take a lower margin.

Don't listen to what your carrier tells you about markets.