Paint Question

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
We have to have our cab repainted due to some paint peeling/bubbling. Any suggestions on what we can expect to fork out? So far we've received some initial quotes between $1600 - $2500. Basically we're talking about the hood and the doors. Sleeper and box are okay.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Back in the late 50's early 60's "Earl Schibe" (sp) "I'll paint any car any color, $59.95":p

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Problem is the size of the truck places like maaco probably couldn't fit it in paint booth

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
You're in a straight truck, right??

If so, $1600-$2000 would sound about right.

The cab portion of a atraight truck has a lot of little hinges, brackets, and marker lights that either have to be removed or taped off. There will be some awkward work involving ladders and stools trying to get it all sanded down and prepped for paint. And then the painter will have a few awkward moves he has to make himself to be able lay the paint down smooth and even while on those same stools and ladders.

I trust you went to a reputable place that has an actual "Truck" paint booth there to spray the truck in the booth, right? If you just went to regular body shop and got these quotes, your truck is either going to sprayed in a big warehouse without the proper filtration in place, or outside in the parking lot after hours when all the city code enforcers have already clocked out and gone home. If this is the case, inspect truck very carefully for "Trash" in the paint. (small particles of dust & debris showing through the clear) If you see this, have them sand that crap out and rebuff the clear.

Also, another question comes mind. Are these quotes given for a commercial grade "single stage" paint job? (Single Stage - paint and clear together formula where you spray once and buff it out) Or have you been quoted for a "Basecoat Clearcoat" paint job? (BC/CC - color sprayed first then clear sprayed over it) My bet it's for a Single Stage paint job at that price, of which there's nothing wrong with it. Really depends on what brand they're using and how well they buff it out. Just make sure it's not something like PPG's "OMNI" label, or Dupont's "Nason" series if they're using a name brand paint. These 2 series are on the low end of the chart and may last you 2-3 years being out on the open elements 24/7/365. Try to get them to spray Sherwin Williams commercial grade paint if they can. SW has a GREAT lineup of paint for commercial use. Dupont and PPG's main focus is for the every day commuter car or truck.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll say something later. ;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not only what Brisco said but the other issue is the prep of the body to fix the bubbling/peeling paint, that's an adhesion problem between the paint, primer and the base metal/fiberglass. If this isn't corrected, the paint will end up bubbling/peeling in a matter of months or a year.

A good painter will recognized the issues and tel you what it will take to correct the action. Most likely the spots will have to be stripped and everything primed right then painted.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
You're in a straight truck, right??
Yes, straight truck.

If so, $1600-$2000 would sound about right.

That's what I was hoping to hear! :)

And thanks, Brisco for all the great info regarding the paint. I did not realize much of what you suggest.

Not only what Brisco said but the other issue is the prep of the body to fix the bubbling/peeling paint, that's an adhesion problem between the paint, primer and the base metal/fiberglass. If this isn't corrected, the paint will end up bubbling/peeling in a matter of months or a year.

Yeah, I hear you there, greg. I was thinking of doing some of this prep myself. I've got a little experience with sanding, bondoing, and painting. I was think I could at least prep the parts that are peeling real bad and then repair them, sand them and then let the paint shop prime and pain the rest.

We'll probably have this done at home where we've found a couple different shops that have the facilities for painting tractors. Having it painted outdoors is not an option.