Paid total miles(or)miles per airbill#

chipwebb

Expert Expediter
Hi-
I expedite for a small company from near Ohare Airport in Chicago. Im an owner/operator of a cargo van.

Heres my question. I picked up 1 skid from a customer going to Carthage, IL (200 miles). Just after I picked it up, I was called for a second picup at a diffrent company up the street from my first pickup going to Lamar, MO(650 miles. Should I push for the miles on the individual P&D's or the total miles of the complete trip. Seems to me, if I get total miles, Ive essentially done the first P&D for free since it was basicly "on the way". Am I wrong??

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally I believe each run should be paid in full individually however at least with my company I would only get paid an extra pickup and stopoff.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If they ended up the same customer (usually shipper), we get an extra drop-off. If it's two seperate loads we get paid for two loads as Panther does too.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
chipwebb,

I can say the industry standard would be that you would be paid full rate on both shipments. The only difference would be - like others have pointed out is that if they originate with the same shipper or consignee - then you would should receive a stop fee.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

A billion Chinese can't be wrong, eat rice.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only speak for the 2 companies I have been with since I've been in expediting. Both companies pay a reduced rate for the 2nd load. I get 62% for the 1st and 50% for the 2nd.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Chip,

A company I worked for in Cincinnati, would have paid as two seperate loads, only because you picked in two different locations, and delivered in two different locations. Some companies may pay you for the longest run and an additional stop, if you didn't need to go way out of your way to either, pick-up of deliver.

If your working for a small company, their just trying to get as much freight moved, without too much expense on their part, so they can benefit (profit) the most. You may have heard someone say, "...since your going that way...".

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Chip:

I agree with all of the above. Also since you picked up from two different customers and delivered to two different consignees, it would seem that your carrier/broker received payment for two seperate shipments. Logically, you should normally receive benefit for each shipment. That would be the norm as we know it, BUT, What matters most is not our collective opinions but the lease agreement you should have with your carrier. If this type of shipment(s) is not now covered in that agreement, I recommend you ask that an addendum be provided to cover any follow-on multiple shipments, either by one or more shippers.

miko

Expert Expediter
When I have to pick up 2 loads going to 2 different locations, I will only be paid the longest way, and the 2nd stop is a drop off fee.
Seems unfair to me when it is 2 different customers. My company pockets the money and not even thinks about it twice.