Owners that hire solo ST drivers

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
I had a call from panther the other day I told them I wanted to be set up with a owner to run a truck for them. they said no solo positions were opened ... I said I'd team too no prob .. they repeated the not hiring solo's thing ... I was like umm okay .... :( they asked if there was anything else they could do I said I'd just call back ... ..... fustrating ... trying to get working....
any ideas?:confused:

cobra469

Seasoned Expediter
call load 1 and talk to brian or express 1 and talk to larry pickle,if u go onto expeditersonline and check there but dont get hooked up with mario out of dearborn mi he is a ripoff

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
My personal concern would be the present emphasis on team drivers. Must run solo when necessary beginner requirements are completed. This team thing will not last beyond that point.

Really like my current O/O and company, but if the solo driver does not open up at the end of my time? Hopefully someone is still needing solo drivers. Thanks for the post and hope someone can chime in with enlightening words for the future.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did quite well as a solo D at Fedex a few years ago. I lived near Chicago so that may have alot to do with it.
Electronic logs make it more difficult for solo drivers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My personal concern would be the present emphasis on team drivers. Must run solo when necessary beginner requirements are completed. This team thing will not last beyond that point.

Really like my current O/O and company, but if the solo driver does not open up at the end of my time? Hopefully someone is still needing solo drivers. Thanks for the post and hope someone can chime in with enlightening words for the future.

The push for team drivers has been intensified by two things: loss of the split sleeper provision, and detention. Combined, those factors can put solos in the position of choosing which method of economic suicide they prefer: the certainty of informing dispatch that direct delivery is questionable/doubtful/impossible, due to the 14 hr limit, or the gamble of 'fudging' the log to avoid a 14 hr violation. Neither is a good choice, but until the issues are resolved, it's easiest to avoid the risk by requiring teams.
Of course there is genuine need for teams, but there's a need for solos, too. Teams don't want the shorter runs, and even if that changed, the supply of qualified [committed couples] teams will never keep up with demand. Creating a team just doesn't work in the long run - human nature beats our best intentions, and the pressures of living & working together on the road 24/7 almost guarantee an unhappy ending.
Before FMCSA made us 'safer' by eliminating the split sleeper [as if!], we logged the detention as sleeper berth - which it usually was, and it extended the 14 hrs, allowing us to complete the run. We can't do that anymore, and FMCSA isn't listening when thousands of drivers complain [as they have in the 'listening sessions']. Nor is anyone listening to complaints about detention - we're still sitting at the dock for 2 hours because the customer hasn't the facilities/material/personnel to get trucks in & out quickly, or any reason to change that, detention pay being more a joke than a deterrence. Until changes are made, we just have to deal with it the best we can.
The good news is that there are carriers and fleet owners who will contract with solo drivers, and there are enough runs in the range we can do [if detention doesn't endanger it] to keep us afloat - it just takes more work to get it together.
But we're used to that.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Cheri....that helps. Trying to get a handle on this while running necessary team. I don't mind the short runs and wouldn't mind the delays etc, if I have the truck to myself. Sitting outside HotLanta right now and I'd be doing things totally different on this holiday extended reset. These guys love to sit here for hours and hours when other options are available.

Oh well. I have to cut teeth and do my time. Every one else has. Thank You!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When you finish the enforced team time, we should do a thread on 'Horrors: worst codrivers ever!'
I have a few nominations, too, but we better wait until they can't 'accidentally' leave you at a WalMart somewhere, lol.
;)

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Yup. Got one for that hall of fame already. I'm thinkin large house in background, a hotel, and one shower scene.

Being pretty discreet on this forum.....so we won't go into nicknames. :rolleyes:

Last edited: