owner/fleet owners

R

rangell218

Im new to expediting and just woundering if there is a site that lists owners not to drive for I have heard alot of bad stories of owners treating drivers like **** and forgetting who is making them money, please send me the site if there is not currently one maybe one should be started this will stop some fleet owners of the things they do, and open freight for the one that no how to treat the person making them money.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's none that I know of and doubt there will ever be one. The threat of libel/slander would be too great.

R

rangell218

thats for taking your time responding, I believe you are right, again thanks

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
''and forgetting who is making them money,''

Nobody making money for nobody.This is a team work .The owner must do his job,the driver same,the company who offer loads for us same.

R

rangell218

thanks how many drivers/trucks do you have, my staments were not directed to anyone but the owners that fit into my statements, thanks for responding.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The problem with a so called "list" is that each person has their own version of a story. A driver might think a particular owner is terrible, while the next driver thinks they're the best owner out here. Same with owners and a particular driver.
When we began talking to our owner, he offered to give us the names and numbers of other people that had driven for him and not just the current drivers.
Unfortunately, sometimes it's trial and error to find an owner, or carrier for that matter, that is a good fit for you.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Whether you liked the response or not, Zoli is correct. Our drivers make more money than we do.....so are they making us money or are we making them money? It is a team effort, drivers, owners AND leased company. If that offends you...sorry....the statement and the way you made it sounded kind of crappy....if you drive a fleet owners truck you are making YOURSELF money. And before you ask...15 trucks 28 drivers

-charlotte

And one owner may not work for one driver.....does not make owner or driver bad, just makes a conflict.

Last edited:
R

rangell218

I am sorry if my statements offended anyone I am sure there are many owners out there that treat there driver fair and I understand it is a team operation, again I am new and please forgive me for any disrespect, it was not meant that way, there is so much info out there and I read alot of the stories from other Im just asking for help in understanding this bussiness, again I am sorry if my staments were misunderstood

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Work for someone that you click with, contrary to what some people say...a contract is always better stating what you are responsible for and what they are responsible for, as well as what your contracted rate of pay is. Work with someone that knows the business, if possible someone that has actually driven. Work with an organization that is a size you are comfortable with....someone that answers the phone when you call. No offense is taken Rangell.....I wish you luck in your search.

-charlotte

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
I am sorry if my statements offended anyone I am sure there are many owners out there that treat there driver fair and I understand it is a team operation, again I am new and please forgive me for any disrespect, it was not meant that way, there is so much info out there and I read alot of the stories from other Im just asking for help in understanding this bussiness, again I am sorry if my staments were misunderstood

i don,t think your statement or question was offensive nor was any disrespect meant and any fleet owner that was offended by it was probaly one of those that don,t treat there drivers right or pay them on time or does not live up to there side of the bargain believe me there are plenty of them out there as well as there are plenty of very good honest fleet owner out there i think the trick is to find one that is compatible with you i always say you can look at the truck and pretty much tell if the owner is respectable now granted there plenty of unscrupulus drivers out there as well so it goes both ways you don,t treat the owner with respect or vice versa then nothing will work

R

rangell218

its me again woundering if you can advise on this subject I have an offer to team drive for a company @ 65/35 we pay fuel and tolls the person they are teaming me up with is saying after many days of going back and forth that he things its crazy and we cant make any money any input I understand it up to me but any input would be of great help please respond a.s.a.p thanks

R

rangell218

Charlee, woundering if you have time to answer this question for me I have an offer to team drive @65/35 we pay fuel and tolls my co-driver is killing me he changes is mind everyday he stated last night we can make any money at that % please give me your input I understand if up to me, it there offer fair and standard please respond a.s.a.p

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
One obvious problem is your are trying to support two households . You probably won't make a satisfactory income for each of you , especially when it's decided the different drivers need time off at different times for family needs . The ideal team setup is husband/wife . Another problem is you said the company is teaming you up with the driver rather than you having a codriver of choice you come in with . There is nothing wrong with the 65/35 . The problem is the team arrangement . I would never team with a driver just provided out of the blue .

rpack41

Expert Expediter
Report A BAD Trucking Company Here - Truckers' Trucking Forum | Message Board | Discussion

Rip-off Report: Covenant Transport biggest ripoff trucking company in the country Chattanooga Tennessee

you did say NY?
An employer’s obligation to pay wages to his employees is defined in article six of the New York State labor law. Employees who are covered by the labor law may seek enforcement by the Attorney General of their wage claims. Persons not covered by the labor law must seek private legal redress.

WHO IS AN EMPLOYEE? : Article six defines an employee as any person employed for hire by an employer in any employment. Unless an employer-employee relationship exists between the person claiming payment for services rendered and the person from whom payment is claimed, the provisions of the labor law do not apply. Independent contractors are not protected by the labor law and are not entitled to state enforcement of their claims for payment. Although there is extensive case law on the subject of what constitutes an employer-employee relationship, the issue is not always clear and determinations on similar facts and circumstances may differ among the various bodies which are called upon to make such determinations.

You can find this whole article at
Labor Law Obligations to Employees

do your homework b4 you hire on. I am no expert, just been there.

Better Luck Next Time, Rose

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am trying to figure out what you are saying.

The problem is labor issues are complex and normally settled with the DOL on the federal level with most companies, they have a process to address most issues. The states take up the slack but the IRS has been involved only, ONLY to collect additional taxes.

I have been there and done all that on both sides of different issues and it is best not to listen to one thing that is said on forums or what ever but get a lawyer who specializes in labor issues to address specific questions for anyone who thinks they have problems.

Also reading the one rip off report from Andrew who worked for 6 months, I would say it is his fault for accepting the truck in an unsafe condition in the first place and he should not be complaining. The fact that as the driver, he is fully and completely responsible for the truck and by accepting it, he accepts the responsibility of making sure it is safe and usable. He should have refused to use the truck for any reason and dealt with what ever happened.

rpack41

Expert Expediter
I dont know his situation. If he was hired to drive or if he was contracted to drive. If he was contracted on a percentage bases he has a long battle ahead. He should move on and chalk it to experience.
If he was an employee, he can get his money from the employer. but I dont believe he is going to be happy with the turn out as he thinks.
Employers are required to pay min. wage per hour plus overtime at time and a half. Now DOT has got you were you can only accumalte so many hours in a week.
You are going to take your log working hours and do them a NY min. wage $7.15 hrly. up to 40 hours and the other 20 hrs at about $10.75.
Glad it isnt my battle, I get a headache looking at it.
The web sites ,in my previous post, are just a place to vent. ok
Rose

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't get me wrong, vent away... I will read what you have with an open mind.

The real problem that I have been trying to say is that this single subject used to be really easy to understand before 1934 but since then it has become more complex and more frustrating than anything else someone could face. Getting legal advice is the best thing, my wife and her co-workers got screwed a few years back because the state failed to tell them that they had options to have the DoL oversee the investigation and my wife instead of receiving 150 hours of back pay got a check for $300 and threatened by the management.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Actually believe it or not as an interstate truckdriver your are not covered by the state laws but under federal jursdiction which states that you do not have to be paid hourly or any over time.
29CFR782.782.3 - Drivers.
Check out this link. As I have said before the last amendment to the Constitution is "TRUCKDRIVERS NONE OF THE ABOVE APPLIES"

rpack41

Expert Expediter
WELL DOG! I guess he needs to suck it up, chalk it down and move on. Hang in there. What dont kill you, makes you stronger.:cool:

R

rangell218

thanks for the advise and reply and I got alot of good info and yes if will be a long fight and probley no winners in this one, I plan to contact the owners angain and see if we can come to some form of agreement and part ways and go on with life, and again thanks , god bless and be safe