Our Longest Run of ALL TIME

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
Four hours waiting and still no sign of FEDEX delivery. Dispatch insist we wait here till packet arrives. I'd like to get going.

Sightseeing ?? NOT A CHANCE !!
I've never viewed time spent behind the wheel as Sightseeing....NEVER.

I can't imagine anyone foolish enough to of accepted this run without a backend guarantee. The fact that they initially offered dead-head pay back to U.S. border made the offer hard to refuse.

Good question about breakdowns tho...... I own and maintain my vehicle. I'm certain it's my responsibility should sumthin happen regardless in which direction i'm going. Whether i'm under a load or not, it's my truck. Dispatch will work with transfers and will assist with road repairs if requested.

Yeah Leo, this was a no-brainer to accept. I woulda fallen off the seat laughing had they not offered the ferry ticket and returning paid milage. If this deal holds up for a return from Halifax to NOLA, we gonna have a seven day gross that's gonna keep us smiling for many months to come. Factoring ALL expenses = close to $2.00 ALL MILES

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
ammendedroute.jpg

How the ammended route looks, taken off c-link. Only questionable road is that stretch of Maine. There just isn't a really good direct route, i can see.

Thank the Lord.....wev'e recieved our packet with 6 inches of forms and documents. Wer'e rolling within minutes.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
ammendedroute.jpg

>
>How the ammended route looks, taken off c-link. Only
>questionable road is that stretch of Maine. There just isn't
>a really good direct route, i can see.
>
>Thank the Lord.....wev'e recieved our packet with 6 inches
>of forms and documents. Wer'e rolling within minutes.

DON'T GO BACK INTO MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!![b/]
The Trans Canada Highway from Montreal to Riviere Du Loup is all expressway. Then you follow the Trans Canada Highway from Riviere Du Loup to Edmonston NB then to Fredricton to Moncton to Amhesrt Nova Scotia then to New Glasgow NS then to Sydney NS where you catch the ferry.
Why go back into the States when you've cleared Customs?
How will you get back into Canada again?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
RE: CUSTOMS RE: Our Longest Run of ALL TIME

Team thanks for your answer. I too own my own truck and take care of it but I ask the question because some breakdowns require help. I was really asking what FECC does when you are not under load. Many companies don't help at that point and I do mean many.

RobA I too question why this load was sent this way. Not sure the person that ordered this way would still be with me if they worked at my company.

Raceman
OTR O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>DON'T GO BACK INTO MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!![b/]
>The Trans Canada Highway from Montreal to Riviere Du Loup is
>all expressway. Then you follow the Trans Canada Highway
>from Riviere Du Loup to Edmonston NB then to Fredricton to
>Moncton to Amhesrt Nova Scotia then to New Glasgow NS then
>to Sydney NS where you catch the ferry.
>Why go back into the States when you've cleared Customs?
>How will you get back into Canada again?

Rob, so you are saying when you go in at Detroit if you go out at Buffalo or wherever and then try to come in again later your "get out of jail free" card is used up and you can't get back in again? It sounds like you can only enter once on any given load. If I'm misunderstanding please enlighten me correctly. Thanks.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>DON'T GO BACK INTO MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!![b/]
>
>Rob, so you are saying when you go in at Detroit if you go
>out at Buffalo or wherever and then try to come in again
>later your "get out of jail free" card is used up and you
>can't get back in again? It sounds like you can only enter
>once on any given load. If I'm misunderstanding please
>enlighten me correctly. Thanks.
>
>Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
>Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
>Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
>EO Forum Moderator
>----------
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

Leo: I'll try not to get too technical; but these goods will be imported into Canada through the port of Windsor. They will be "released" but they will not be "accounted for" until later. The accounting part of the clearance is done up to 5 business days after the goods are released. This is the part of the clearance process that the driver does not see.
Now; this is ~really~ a domestic run; from Windsor to St.John's. Most Canadian truckers will stay in Canada. I know some do take the shortcut through Maine but most run up to Montreal and then on to RDL, then over to New Brunswick and on to Nova Scotia.
If the team goes back through the States; they would have to put the load in bond through the USA (is it a T&E??) because they are now Canadian goods. But since they haven't yet been accounted for they are in a grey area. So the drivers get back to the US /Canada border at St Stephen NB; and guess what; they will need to clear something to get back into Canada. MEANWHILE....they have a reservation on a ferry that sails on Monday. It is off season for the tourists but the commercial spots are alweays booked.
Can they afford all that possible bulls**t at the border to save a few miles?
Once they are in...in my humble opinion... they should stay in and get their butts to Sydney ASAP. The roads are good all the way; it is the Trans Canada Highway after all.
I hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.
Every international shipment has unique things about it.

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

Breaktime !!!!!

At 1st exit / rest area heading south / south east in ILL. Dinner and fuel. Raining like crazy and it's my shift.

Firstly: I miss plotted off c-link. We stay in Canada all the way to the ferry. But the printed directions are still botched and still havent finalized the last 150-200 miles. "NO BIGGY"

Secondaly: We now know the contents. NOT COMPUTER stuff !!
Turns out to be a freakin' art display made from delicate crystal. Its supposeably 15 feet long and hangs from a ceiling.

.....and heading for a 6 AM crossing in windsor.

PANIC EDIT Holy Molie.... wev'e only gone 1,740 miles.
I Really screwed up the math / milage earlier today outside of MPLS/St.Paul

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well 12 hours isn't all that long. I drove from Toronto to Edmonton in 39.5 hours and 20 of it was just going to the Manitoba border with Ontario. That's one Province! I hope your having a good trip as this will work your buggy. Good cluck
Rob Fis

heel4you

Expert Expediter

What kind of mapping software was used in the routing??
Thanks,
Laura

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter

I would assume that based on the latest commodity description you gave, that it must be a DDPS load. Can't imagine one of you always having to be with the truck until you deliver for security reasons. If it is DDPS how does one deal with the ferry ride, do they allow the drivers to sit in the vehicle while its being transported on the ferry?

I've also noticed that nobody on this thread has asked hows your sea legs? Hope they're good ones if you get my drift! Ten hours on a ferry boat, I'm afraid I'd have to load up on the Dramamine ( hope I spelled right), and I grew up on the water! OOOPS, can you take Dramamine and operate a commercial vehicle, or do you just have to suffer with the sea sickness? That would be a real bummer,win a trip of a lifetime only to end up sick!!! :'(

Good luck to ya, sounds like a great run.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

RE: Ferry,,,the ferry to St.Johns is closed till June due to iceburgs in the strait...they take you into Port Abasque the 5-7hr ride. and then drive about 540 miles all the way around island. We did this trip on May 24th weekend. We had no reservation as they run an adlib schedule because of the ice and winds. You'll see moose warnings and Don't drive at night signs as theres a population of 150,000 moose and some 100,000 Cariboo!
Good Luck! Its a great ride! Sunrise over the Atlantic!

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter

crossingintocanada.jpg

finally.jpg

Both of us took a little 4 hour non-moving nap. Fueled up this morning and crossed at 0745.

Ferry conditions are supposebly being updated and we'll have more definite crossing info later tonight.

2,180 miles completed

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Make sure if you land at Port Abasque that Fedex has calculated the extra 1000 miles you'll have to drive around the island! Good travelling!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Talked with a Driver last year in Houston, Alaska Truck Lines I believe was the Co. It has a large picture of an Eskimo, and the map of Alaska on it, dingy yellow paint with black lettering.

Anyway this driver told me that his run every 16 days, was (solo) from Anchorage, to Houston, DH from Houston to Miami, and than straight back to Anchorage, almost 9,000 miles round trip in 16 days with a 34 layover. He was getting the bugs taken off or the truck washed when I spoke with him.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter

YOU GOT QUITE THE AUDIENCE ,,learning a lot here .Like the pics,, definatly send more ..Lawerence was right ..were all riding along with you on this one.

brentwb2

Seasoned Expediter

Yes, my wife and I are no longer on the road. It is great to feel like we are a part of it (expediting) again. Keep the updates and pictures coming!!!

G

Something is not Adding up here, Why would cross at Windsor, Ont when you should cross over in Maine. 2nd Fedex Don't have you sit somewhere waiting on paperwork to come. You say that this is a FedEx Custom Critical load. Not to say that your lieing but things just are not adding up.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter

the jigs up.. i figured it out.. there is a 2nd truck on the grassy knoll.. with the paperwork..

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Teamdriver2, aka Harold Kernsey, has enthralled us all with stories of his recent adventures to Mexico and now with his ongoing Fedex Custom Critical load from Seattle, WA to Newfoundland, Canada.

Without belaboring the point, I'll just say that my sources have indicated that no driver by the name of Harold Kernsey is now nor has been in the past on the rolls at FedEx Custom Critical. In addition, this reliable source indicates that at the present time FedEx Custom Critical is not involved in a run from Seattle to Newfoundland.

In that I am inclined to think that this post is a hoax, I am locking this thread and requesting that Teamdriver2 contact me or another member of the EO moderating team by PM or e-mail and verify the validity of your association with FedEx Custom Critical with a truck number, and a run number for this trip to Newfoundland.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and also look forward to apologizing to you and the EO Forum membership if I have acted in error.

Terry O'Connell
Moderator, Expeditersonline Forum
O/O, FedEx Custom Critical
Member, FedEx Custom Critical Contractor Council