Our Longest Run of ALL TIME

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
Got dispatched late last night from a computer parts distribution wharehouse east of Seattle,Wash.

Destination: St.Johns. Newfoundland

Total miles : 4,432

Will be our biggest paying job wev'e ever had.

Understand we'll have to take a 10 hour ferry ride once we get into Canada to be able to reach Newfoundland. FEDCC is paying ALL miles including miles returning back to U.S. border. Wev'e got at least 3 days to figure out the details of the ferry crossing, but still sounds like a very interesting trip.

Anyone done this trip to St. Johns ??????

wasktonewf.jpg

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Great Load Team Drivers hope you have lots of fun and enjoy the boat ride.

JoeBob why would you turn down a load to Anchorage AK? We would really like to go there but have never seen a load offer and wonder if it just would not pay that well? Long ways to dead head back.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
We did Nova Scotia last fall. If you really want to see something cool go see The Bay of Fundy. It's claim to fame is that it has the highest recorded tide in the world, 43 feet twice daily. They say it is more water going out in one cycle than all of the streams and rivers in the world. From Turo take your truck down RT 2 and 209. Make sure you stop at an Info center they will tell you what you need to know. Great people up in that area.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That looks like a really cool run. I'd have to give in and go to Canada for a run like that, especially since it gets you back to the border. I'd also love a run to Alaska if I could ever get an offer for that.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Finn777

Expert Expediter
That is a nice run and is not too bad this time of year.We have been up there before and found out that if you go up Rte 9 from Bangor Maine to the crossing at St Stephens NB it saves you a lot of time and has the same brokers that are at Houlton Maine.
Just one other note make sure you make the return ferry from Port au Basque NF back to Sydney NS if you miss it you may have to wait up to 4/5 days for a berth for your truck on another ferry back the ferry has continuos bookings for large trucking Companies up there and they have a reserve block of spaces at all times. Enjoy the Trip.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is an example of the adventure of expediting. You never really know what might happen next. I wonder how many people turned down the load you took to Wash. because they figured on DH out of there?

I have been offered several ferry ride loads out of Wash but they were Alaska loads in the middle of the winter, no fun.

My only ferry ride for fedex was a trip to Martha's Vineyard, Ma hauling Bill Clinton's autobiography to a couple bookstores on opening day.

Just be glad fedex is bookin yer trip and payin the bill for you. Looks like the 60' rate from North Sidney,NS to Argentia, NL is $625 Canadian each way.

Must say, this run gets my Adrenalin flowing and the longing to be a "team driver" again, sigh

Well, gotta get dressed now. Fedex woke me at 5am to to go on down to Mt View,Ca at noon for a boring 430 mile run to Temecula,Ca oh well, have fun guys, and would love to hear the further adventures of you're run.

PS Have you considered asking Fedex to not book you on a quick return trip? I would consider taking an extra day or two in Newfoundland.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
TeamDrivers2,

Thanks for sharing this with the group - and the map. We are all riding with you - what an awesome trip! It's Spring - perfect trucking weather!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
>Great Load Team Drivers hope you have lots of fun and enjoy
>the boat ride.
>
>JoeBob why would you turn down a load to Anchorage AK? We
>would really like to go there but have never seen a load
>offer and wonder if it just would not pay that well? Long
>ways to dead head back.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Well it was great offer , but several reasons ..canadian issues ith co driver would be the first but a close second would be the dead head back, time lost.. we wernt getting the trip back paid for. you know if I were fortunate to find a wife to do this work with..it would have been a neat trip .. my dispatch said that was the third this year but so far only one team accepted a load there.. so i guess its not unusal. Here wife wife wife here wife wife wife.. see still stuck with my codriver

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a cool run. One of my favorite things when we were driving was going on a trip to somewhere that was new.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well that sure looks like fun! I don't know if that is the exact routing your going to take or not but I would go thru detroit and take the 401 up and around. Will save you time and BIG money on tolls.

G

This is a great run, I was in St Johns about 5 yrs ago. Check out the chicken place right by the ferry in North Sidney. It's called "lick a chick". Just to let you know its 1806 miles back to Boston. I would love to go to St Johns again it was the best load I have ever done.
Have fun and be safe.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

TeamDrivers2

Expert Expediter
32 Hours into this one. 1,890 miles completed.

90 thru Montana took over 12 hours. Thought we'd never get outta that state.

Just north of the Twin Cities, showering up and re-stocking a few groceries. And awaiting paperwork from Fedex.

We will indeed be crossing over into Canada at Detroit and going E. from there.

Supposebly, our reservations are for the Monday ferry crossing. FEDCC is sending our packet here. Funny, us sitting here waiting for the Local FedEx truck to show up with our paperwork.

;) Imagine this: Wev'e been pre-assigned for pick-up in Halifax somtime Thursday. Wood products going to New Orleans.;) NOT confirmed, but would be icing on this cake of ours.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
awsome !! thats nothing but rockin and rollin there Im throw'n some madi gra beads your way.... but keep your shirt on would ya ..thanks

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
hey finn... Im showing this van driver and telling her about EO (how great it is of course) and she see's your avitar image ..I think the words were "just a little phallic there" she wants your bio dude... you may have a love connection.. shes pretty sharp... im still laughing:7 :7

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I have never been with FECC and therefore do not know much about what they offer. Being the kind of person I am I have a few questions and comment.

Commenting first I would never take this run although it sounds extremelt fun as a site seeing kind of run. Return money is always in my thoughts and that would hold me back and the fact that I don't site see. I wish you a safe and happy trip I think it is great if you enjoy doing that.

My question is does FECC help you in a break down situation if you are empty? In other words if you drop your load off and then have troubles, say 15 miles from the drop can you expect any help from them, if you needed it, or are you on your own at that point?

Have fun with it sounds like a blast.

Raceman
OTR O/O

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Understand we'll have to take a 10 hour ferry ride once we
>get into Canada to be able to reach Newfoundland. FEDCC is
>paying ALL miles including miles returning back to U.S.
>border.

I wouldn't take the load if it didn't have that last part.. all miles including return to U.S. With that included I'd take it in an instant. I'd still have some mile on my own but not that many in the grand scheme of things. It's too great a trip to not take.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
CUSTOMS RE: Our Longest Run of ALL TIME

I note several posters are giving advise on where to cross into Canada. Please....for everyone who might have a choice.... go where the entry is set up. Go where the papers have been sent. I have seen too many times drivers going to another port of entry; especially on a weekend; and not finding things in order.
THAT is where most of the border delays occur.
It is rare; at least coming into Canada; unless you are either loading close to the border or haven't sent the papers soon enough; that drivers are delayed usung the PARS process.
If you have to change; communicate that with your dispatch and ensure that they communicate with the broker.

I'm glad to see that this is established; and going through Windsor(Detroit) as it will be a weekend.

That all being said; I doubt I would've routed a shipment this way. I would've sent it FedExCC to Vancouver and either airfreight or Day & Ross from there. That would be cheaper. I'm glad you seem to be having a good run with it. The ferry is busy so keep going so you don't "miss the boat".

Check http://www.irvingoil.com/pr_business/pr_fleet/ibs.asp
for truck stops in Maritime Canada. There is a list of all 24 hour locations including NF.

I hope this helps.