Our first month out with Fed Ex

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Hello Expeditor's- We have posted here in the past seeking answers to questions, finding out information, lurking around on here. We finally took the plunge about 30 days ago and attended orientation with the Fed. We decided against going with Expeditor Services for a few personal reasons, however found an O/O that has been anything short of amazing. For those that don't know our situation, were a husband/ wife team in our mid 20's...and I shall say that our first 30 days out we have ran about 15k miles. We haven't kept track...been to busy. We haven't sat for more than 24 hours straight. Fed Ex seems to keep us busy. Our home base is located in Las Vegas, first time we were here was 2 weeks after orientation, and now we are here 2 weeks later because we had a load that just dropped in Vegas. We have been out to Cali (up and down the coast) through Utah....and back out east. We have been everywhere along the Mexican border (texas) and even made it down to Tampa Florida. Actually, the only places we haven't been is New England area....or in the NW (Oregon, Washington, etc) I think we counted 25 states just in a 30 day period. Were staying in service for another few weeks then we will take our first home time of 7 days. We got our first White Glove load offer this Monday which we took so we will see how that goes. Fed-Ex wants us back for White Glove training even before the 6 months. We've been told that we have been doing good. We have both made more money in one month than we would have if we stayed at our jobs here in Vegas (We both had degreed positions). Don't get me wrong, the first 2 weeks were very challenging and tough. Being husband and wife team, we almost killed eachother many of times, in fact we could create our own reality T.V show. We woke up to a dead truck battery...which was our fault for sleeping with the Inverter on....Wife had strep for a few days....which again was not fun. Its been an interesting 30 days. We view it as more of paid tourism. We have seen more of this country and done more things in the past 30 days than I could ever imagine doing on my own. We stopped by the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville and did the tour, went shopping, etc. Again, we have done all this in 30 days and have never really sat for more that 24 hours. I'm sure things will die down once October hits, but for now its awesome. A few things to add for Newbies like us....when you go home don't park your rig in front of your house....you will get a parking ticket....mistake we just made. One of the best advice I got from here was to drive for an O/O first before taking the plunge. We have learned more from our o/o in 30 days than I could have ever imagined. Just a background on me, I started this Expediting thing with no experience driving a truck like that commercially....never been to a truck stop let alone put gas in dual tanks. We have been stopped at a weight station once and the wife passed with flying color's....we were hoping to keep up on blogging...but just have been way to busy and needed all the sleep we can get ( & naps) since we have been running so hard. But if I can do this, anyone can. PM me if you want more info. Hope this helps some of you wanting to take a leap. Oh and one more thing....to the people that live out west....you will get back. It's only been one month, and we have been back west 2 times already and had no trouble whatsoever getting back East.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Congratulations on the great start. All you need now are some paragraphs. :p

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Ha @ LDB. Whenever I post here on EO....It doesn't let me use the enter key to make Paragraphs. SO please excuse my lack of proper grammar structure. :)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ha @ LDB. Whenever I post here on EO....It doesn't let me use the enter key to make Paragraphs. SO please excuse my lack of proper grammar structure. :)

Sounds like you earned a good steak meal. Go have a Jerrys Nugget prime rib on me. ;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just joking a little. That's weird though but the forum does weird things sometimes.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
This is a great update. Hope that 'slowdown' you're expecting in October is written in pencil. In other words, I wouldn't count on it.

We've been making hay pretty consistently for the better part of 5 years. Glad to see you're getting some of that sunshine, too.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Thanks for the follow up - many new people just read here, learn and never "give back" so to speak. So, thanks for the follow up. Many here have had success - so we wish you the same!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to FedexCC and EO.....it is tough starting from scratch but it looks like you are learning quickly....Good Luck!...:)

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Good deal sounds like you guys are cut out for this,it is good to hear a success story. White Glove is the only way to go,so much more opportunity. I sent you a PM,hope I didn't drag on too much. Good Luck

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the update! I remember our first month and the next month and the next month... Each month gets better and then a year will go by before you know it.

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Thanks everyone for all the well-wishes and the words of support. We are getting a good hang of things and hopefully will be able to be O/O ourselves here in the next 6-12 months. It really helps being a small business owner myself and managing my own real estate here in Las Vegas. Gives me a lot of money management techniques. By the way, our parking ticket was $700.00...just a tad ridiculous. You better bet I will be fighting that. Tomorrow we are off to Los Angeles for our first White Glove Load...were not even trained on that yet...so we''ll see how it goes. Will keep everyone updated with the progress and hopefully we can get the blog up and running or if we find the time.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
yep..heavy truck in residential area....got one with my sprinter! :(

Glad they don't enforce that where I live. I sometimes take my whole truck and trailer and park in front of my house and I live in a tight subdivision.

Anywho congrats on taking the leap and keep us updated with you guys progress rymilburn.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in a small city in Milwaukee County and when I used to drive T/T I would take it home for lunch some days, or borrow a straight truck for a weekend. Never even got stopped! The Mayor lives right next door, the building inspector 1st house around the corner and the head of the DPW right behind me. Oh, and the Chief of Police is 3 houses down the block across the street from me. Weird that no one ever said anything!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it was in an upscale area of DC....also got the "drivers side to the curb" ticket too and 50 bucks...