OTR to Expediter??

rolltide14

Active Expediter
Hello. I have driven OTR for the past year and think that I would like to get into expedited, straight truck probably. I have read through some of the posts and am especially concerned about the amount of idle time. I am used to getting my next load within 30 minutes following delivery, whether it involves paid DH miles sometimes over 100 miles, or picking up next door. Is sitting a standard with expediters, or am I reading something in to the industry based on just a few posts. Also, obviously a cargo van would be more comfortable than a sleeper with regard to parking, etc., but can you make a living with a cargo van. I am looking to be out 3-4 weeks at a time if needed, but I would hope I can net $50,000 plus if I do that. Any advice, guidance, or suggestions appreciated. If you can direct me to other forums that would help me, thanks.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
and am especially concerned about the amount of idle time.
It's a fact of life in this business.

I am used to getting my next load within 30 minutes following delivery.
Ain't gonna happen in expedite.

Is sitting a standard with expediters?
Very much so... we hurry and wait...then hurry up. That's what we do.

but can you make a living with a cargo van.
Many do...but probably not the money your looking for.

but I would hope I can net $50,000 plus if I do that.
Doubtful. Some may, but most don't. Your chances would be better in a Straight truck and even better if you own it.

.Any advice, guidance, or suggestions appreciated. If you can direct me to other forums that would help me, thanks.
Read what Moot said. It is a tough transition from general t/t to expedite. Most can't deal with the down time. The pay is generally going to be less and you'll spend more time away from home...if that matters to ya. You have a lot more time "off"...it just won't be anywhere near home.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little over 2 yrs. ago the wife and i got into this we ran 6200 to 6700 a week in a tt now a3200 week is good 99000 paid miles last year when working w/ tractor trailer we ran 172000 in 10 months to much no cargo van straight trk is better we can always find a place to park good luck.:cool:

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
always hurry up and wait if your solo you might wait a little more and you will get the shorter runs at least w/ateam you can run 800 or better miles per run.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
always hurry up and wait if your solo you might wait a little more and you will get the shorter runs at least w/ateam you can run 800 or better miles per run.

That's if you're with one of the Big Boys. Smaller and medium-sized carriers dont have such ridiculous restrictions.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Expediting is Waiting to get the load that must get there in a hurry, after your unloaded youll wait and wait some more unless your in a good freight area, or you might have to move/Deadhead to another area to speed your next load. Ive sat three days waiting, Ive sat 1 hour waiting, Ive went to bed and been wakened at midnight to hurry and pick up and deliver and then gone back to bed.....Expediting is not OTR trucking, there wont be loads waiting unless your in an exceptional freight lane....FACT !!!!

If sitting and waiting for the Dispatch is something you dont do well stick with OTR and typical dispatch trucking, I myself have found many things to do while waiting, and have enjoyed the freedom of it, some can do it, others lose there minds,,,:D

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I still get a kick out of stories I've read on here about new expediters who are going nuts, screaming at dispatch because they've been empty for 12 hours.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I would stay OTR, unless you want to team in a straight truck. I left OTR ten years ago and it was great for the first 3 or 4 years. Now I wish I had never left. If I had stayed I would have 14 years in OTR.

I have gotten really lazy since I went O/O in a van and my health and wallet have taken a hit. I would be healthier and more money ahead had I just stayed a company driver. Oh well hindsight is 20/20 you know.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I see you have a year in maybe it is time to look for a better carrier, if your current one does not float your boat. Hitting the one year mark OTR is no easy task and your chances of getting a better job increase. By the time you get 2 years in OTR your chances of working for or leasing to a great carrier increase greatly. Stick it out it will reward you in the long run.

If you like to roll then staying OTR would be the way to go. Lots of sitting for solo drivers as the 14 is what kills solo drivers worst in the expediting game.

Scenario common for a solo str8. Run 400 miles over night get to cons @ 04:30 can't drop until 08:00 (all live load and unload) get out of cons @ 09:00. Now you are near your 14. Take a break and have your full hours back @19:00. To bad most of the freight is dispatched from 11:00 to 17:30 and require immediate pick ups. Yes you could do a split break but then you could only do a short run that again will most likely drop in the a.m. and start your 14 again. Which will again limit your drive hours for the next load. Atleast in OTR you can pk the load then sit on it for your break in expediting it is rare for you to get a load you can sit on and take a full 10 unless it is a weekend load. Most expedite freight is ready now, del direct. and most customers want it picked up ASAP.

Not saying you won't make money solo but it is a lot harder then doing what you are doing now.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
That's if you're with one of the Big Boys. Smaller and medium-sized carriers dont have such ridiculous restrictions.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Explain!! You can only go so far legally on your log book. Solo drivers at any company that use there log book legally will be capped the same.

Or are you saying that some small/medium size carriers look the other way and let you run the load then YOU figure out how to make it look legal?? Like not matching times for fueling, pks, drops, averaging the posted speed limit none stop from point A to B:rolleyes: . Yep I know a few small carriers that will give a solo str8 driver a 760 mile trip and expect it to run straight thru. Not to mention they are like 45 miles from pick and they have to sit in 2 different rush hours. It is amazing what some will do for money.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
60 MPH is correct. Life as a solo Tractor Trailer driver is easier than life as a solo Straight Truck driver. I remember the days of getting a nice 1500 mile load down to Laredo and having 3-4 full days to deliver. Then drop in Laredo on a Friday night, hang out at the M.S. Carriers terminal until Monday, and then pick up another 1500 mile load with 3-4 days on it and roll. Never had a care in the world because the truck was owned by someone else and "big truck" freight runs all day and all night! It was the life of luxury! Now it's all go all of the time or all sit all of the time. I would stick with the OTR gig personally. Good luck!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Explain!! You can only go so far legally on your log book. Solo drivers at any company that use there log book legally will be capped the same.

Or are you saying that some small/medium size carriers look the other way and let you run the load then YOU figure out how to make it look legal?? Like not matching times for fueling, pks, drops, averaging the posted speed limit none stop from point A to B:rolleyes: . Yep I know a few small carriers that will give a solo str8 driver a 760 mile trip and expect it to run straight thru. Not to mention they are like 45 miles from pick and they have to sit in 2 different rush hours. It is amazing what some will do for money.

I'm talking about vans. Slipped my mind that you were talking about ST or TT.

--

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I'm talking about vans. Slipped my mind that you were talking about ST or TT.

--

No problem... And I was not directing that last paragraph at you, it was more of a soap box thing:D

This is why:

I just had a run in yesterday with a solo straight truck driver that is leased to a small carrier out of Jackson, MI. tell me that he just ran direct from Eagle Pass, TX. to Norfolk, VA.. These are the carriers and drivers that should be taken out to sea and thrown overboard with no life jacket. :D I don't even run that many miles in a van non-stop it is just freakin crazy :mad:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
No problem... And I was not directing that last paragraph at you, it was more of a soap box thing:D

This is why:

I just had a run in yesterday with a solo straight truck driver that is leased to a small carrier out of Jackson, MI. tell me that he just ran direct from Eagle Pass, TX. to Norfolk, VA.. These are the carriers and drivers that should be taken out to sea and thrown overboard with no life jacket. :D I don't even run that many miles in a van non-stop it is just freakin crazy :mad:

That's longer than I'd want to do on a regular basis, but once in a while, I'd definitely do it if I were properly rested. What you might not realize is that, even though he said "straight through," he still probably had a nap in there somewhere. You run hard, build up a cushion, then lay down for a bit when you're tired.

--