Other T/A GM problems!!

Hammer

Expert Expediter
I had a run in with the T/A GM @ Jackson Ga. south of Atlanta..He pounded on my B unit out in the parking lot @ midnite and told me no sleeping and to move to Flying J. He was communicating with others on a cell phone while dealing with me so I just left>NEVER TO RETURN WITH ANY BUSINESS BUCKS!!!!!!!!Attention T/A!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I were you I would call the T A corp, and tell them about him. Then as you said, never to return. Not going to those roach infested T A truck stops is no big deal anyway, or is it?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I will now avoid T/A's at any cost after last Wed. I damaged one of my steer tires, and nursed my truck into the T/A shop in Franklin, TN. Sure, they replaced my tire in a whopping record setting 10 hours. For the low, low price of $475.00. The T/A stood for "took advantage" of a person in need. The $7.00 shower water smelled like eggs 'n syrup. Yum. I had to do some blood pressure monitoring after that incident.
-Weave-

dog

Expert Expediter
Gee Weave, you would have thought that they would have given you the shower for free, after dropping $475 with them, as customer appreciation. Think I will avoid T/A's like avoiding a contagious disease, after the two posts previous. Don't need treatment like that.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Boy I have to agree 100% about the TA Chain. About 2 weeks ago on Sunday morning I noticed my left front tire was real low,showing about 30 pounds pressure. I park next to a U Haul facilty so they let me pump up the tire to 100 pounds. Two hours later it was back down to 80 pounds. Since it was Sunday all the tire places were closed so I went to a TA off I 95 (exit 98) South Jacksonville area. I waited 2 hours,the guy then threw some water on the valve,around the rim,said he found no leaks and pumped it back up. This took him all of 5 minutes. The TA Service Shop charged me $36.50 for his 5 minutes. I complained,other truckers were amazed that they would charge so much for 5 minutes but to no avail.
That night it was down to 80 pounds again,since I had a good trip set up for Monday afternoon I went and spent the night at the tire place I do business with so I could be first in line. The tire guy found the leak at the valve stem,replaced it free and all is ok.
I then called the TA to tell them that and that they owed me a refund and they said they do not warrant tire repairs.I said "you didn!t repair anything". They said they checked the tire and it was good.
BS,So I will not do business with that TA stop and plan on writing to the TA Headquarters.Lots of times as GEO pointed out that will get results.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I feel your pain Weave, The same TnA took 3 hours and $75.00 just to replace a mudflap.

My thing is this: I agree that TA is a bunch of SOBs. But then I ask myself, which truckstop chain isn't? Each one treats you like garbage, tries to see how much money they can extract from you and then throw you out like an old shoe. The only time you are treated like a human being is if they think your truck says Winnebago on the side. I am beginning to hate them all.

I came up with a realization one day. Truckers are the only business that pays retail (or waaaaaay above retail) for their operating supplies. No wonder our bottom lines stink!

I also know given the logistics of our business we have no choice but deal with these robber barons. Sorry this is one of my hot buttons.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One night I was kicked out of the Flying J RV lot at Resca Ga. Nasty sob came out and said "You have to move now".I showed him a fuel receipt for $95.00 and a Frequent Fueler card and it meant nothing to him. I ponted out that I buy more fuel in a week then most of these rv folks buy in a month and it still meant nothing.The Flying J people and the other major chains have forgotten who brought them along. There are still some good independents like the one in Memphis IN off I 65.I thought when the Williams chain came along they would be a real competitor but here again they seem to be going after the RV trade, but so far I havn!t been kicked out of any RV spots. One night I was doing a transfer in Fayettville NC. I had stopped at a Wilco in South Carolina,purchased $84 worth of fuel and asked the clerk to make me a copy of the BOL. She charged me 25 cents for that copy. These truck stops absolutely rape the truckers and there isn!t much we can do about it.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Rich, and all other posts,
There is a lot you guys can do. If you all stop going to the big truck stops to by the fuel it would hit them right where it hurts. Your trucks are small enough to stop in any gas station in the country and by your fuel. If you can buy at the same place on a regular basis you may even get a discount. The shower thing may be a problem, and finding a place to lay over. But then which is more important to you? If you can get the boycot started and let some of the trucking sites know about it, the skys the limit.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
If I thought a boycott would work I would be the first in line. I have said for years all truckers need to pick one chain and not buy anything there for a while. I don't know if I am a realist or a pessimist but I don't see on two drivers agreeing on what to have for lunch let alone a boycott.

Rich you are a lucky man! Several years ago (I think around 99 or 2000) several truckers were beat up by the staff of that particular flying J! One driver with help from OOIDA took them to court and I believe the driver got a cash settlement. One driver at the same flying J was sitting on the fuel island when discovered that his son had just been killed in a car accident.

The driver, who was shaken up at the time was told by the manager (In much stronger words that can't be typed here) He could care less what happened if his truck wasn't moved in 5 minutes it would be towed!

The manager wouldn't even allow him to leave the truck there while someone else took him to the airport to get home. He went to a nearby C.B. shop where they allowed him to park his rig as long as he needed and even booked his flight and drove him to the airport. I haven't been to that Lying J since then.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Word of mouth seems to be the best advertisment, conversely it can also hurt one's business. I have made a few notes on the post's mentioned herein and even though it won't phase them they will not get my business. Let's keep the word going it may wake someone up. Also kudo's are in order for those that serve us well.
JUMPMASTER

dirtdawg

Expert Expediter
Has anybody had trouble with AmBest or PTP stops? Just wondering, I know the Prez in both their headquarters....

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With all the bad things there are to say about truckstops, I really like Pilots. I was glad when they took over Speedway. My only small gripe is most Pilots don't offer enough parking. I just got my first fuel account there (we don't have comdata or fuel cards at C&M) and I can be in, fueled, and out of a Pilot usually in less that 10 minutes and the card is a good deal with some small perks. Most all Pilots have a 24 hour fast-food joint in them too, making it great to grab a quick hot bite to eat at night. They are one of the lesser of the evils to me as far as truckstops go.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Perhaps Lawrence can have a survey with comments about the major chains and forward the results and comments to these chains. My personal preference is for the LOVES Travel Plazas that you find in the lower Mid West and South West. Petro!s and Pilots would be my number 2 and 3. I have never experienced a bad shower in any of the above plus service and cleanliness is usually always better then the Flying J or TA stops.My humble opinion.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I feel that most of these comments are using too wide of a brush i.e. there are certain locations of every truck stop chain that should be avoided. I think would we be better served by boycotting specific locations. Why not use a rating system similiar to the hotels, 1-5 stars, of course IMHO there are some that deserve minus stars.
Keep Looking Up:) :) :)

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Well, I fuel regularly at one small truck stop. They give me a decent discount (about 8 cents a gallon), and treat everyone well. $50.00 in fuel gets you 72 hours of parking with no problem as well. If anyone would be interested in sending me info on the GOOD places that they fuel, with details on location, showers, food, etc. and any comments, I'll compile them into a printable list and post them to a web page. Hear from you soon... :)

P.S. E-mail to [email protected]

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
just a note about TA they are a member of the good sams club. this is a camping trailer club. I dont know if this is new or they always have been. this may be why the change of heart at some of the truck stops.:)

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Enough about RVer's, these truck stops cater to trucks,expediters,RVer's,etc. Some individual locations decide their own policy,i.e. Indy FlyingJ doesn't allow any straight trucks in the front parking lot however I just spent last night at Lake Park Flying J and there were 6 wheelers, Bobtail 18 wheeler, and lot of Nascar types with their big rigs and trailers.
RV's get a bad rap from truckers who are usually disobeying the posted speed limits, i.e. some of the goons who run containers in the Chicago area. I am not speaking of those of you who are running a few miles over, some of these folks are close to the speed limit.
I concur that some RV's are pretty ignorant when it comes to common sense. That are a lot of folks out there who are ignorant of what's going on around them.
Anyway I feel we need to list,rate or otherwise inform about individual truck stops who discriminate against expediters: Flying J, T/A's, Pilot,etc.
:) :) :) Big Al

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
have to speak up and get right people to listen as in pieces
if you don't let higher up's know what's going on
they think everybody is happy and there happy
money speaks, call ta and flying j (i know mike and ara
and a couple of others at ambest and when people call they take action
, couple of yeas's ago was in rochester ny and truck stop there
was real bad, sent t/a and ambest pictures and also told them
was calling a newpaper and giving them story to say look how they treat there customer's, shower's had not been cleaned in weeks
restroom men and women was not a place to take a dog into
as friend said our dog has stardard and he wouldn't go in
and called and came back later in day and they were cleaning up the
place and i was pointed out as the one who cause all these problems
and truck stop sent me $25.00 for bring this to them,
this time all i quest is going to get a cup of coffee
but call and let them know your not happy and
remind them that you spend $x number of dollar's in a year
the world famous truck stop at woodhaven mi use to give us a hard
time until we gave them right info

G

For the most part, we go to the smaller no name Ma & Pa type truck stops. In the Detroit area, we like Truck City in Dearborn and Madco in Romulus. Fuel is competitive, chow is good and most important no BS about parking.

Right now there is a good 15¢ price spread in our area on fuel.. I refuse to pay the long dollar some of them charge which subsidizes the discounts they give to big carriers. Also, since the small company we're leased to doesn't have Com Checks, I have to use a credit card and I avoid ALL places that jab me 3¢ to 6¢ more per gallon for using a credit card.