Other T/A GM problems!!

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have spent ALOT of time at Madco. The people are decent and so is the food. Fuel is competitive, but thier showers are TERRIBLE! The bathroom leaves much to be desired as well. I guess we all just have to take the bad with the good. My personal favorite is petro. I just stayed at one near Raleigh-Durham. The shower was spotless,and that really made my day! I hate feeling grungy, and looking forward to a hot shower, only to find its dirtier than I am. One really bad TA is off 95 north of Richmond, I think its exit 89. I made a note in my truckstop book to avoid it. There are a couple others just north of it that are better.

cruizer

Expert Expediter
As a new driver , I am amazed at the difference in attitudes at truckstops .

My truck only holds 75 gallons so I have to stop at the right time to get
showers and parking priviliges .

The new T/A in Tampa FL is clean , neat , and lots of lites .

The Flying J on I95 in SC is the pitts - sent an e-mail to Corp with names
and dates/times - they sent free meal and store coupons - but it is still a
pig pen .

My small rig will not make or break any company , but it is what I have at
present and I like to be neat and clean when I am on the road .

If there is any chain or group that appreciates a smaller truck , I would like
to thank them with my business .

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
So where is this little stop? I like to keep track of the good ones.

Stay safe out there!

archangel

Expert Expediter
I really have to take exception to Big Al's assertion that RVers get a "bad rap" from "truckers who are usually disobeying posted speed limits." Aside from being absolutely untrue, these comments have nothing to do with the issue.

While there are plenty of "problem" truckers on the road, this does not negate the facts that the average RVer is not qualified to operate vehicles of their size, are totally unaware of truckstop procedures and etiquette or that the major chains do cater to them while they produce a fraction of the revenues produced by truckers.

What I, personally, find most objectionable is the arrogance exhibited by many RVers who seem to feel it's their god given right to block fuel islands, putt along at 20 MPH under the posted speed limit (creating backups and dangerous passing conditions) and pack the truckstops and rest areas (because they're too cheap or lazy to use one of the countless commercial, state and federal camping areas) making driver switches for teams and performing basic hygene difficult, if not impossible for those of us with limited options and who are trying to make a living.

The bottom line is that the truckstops would rather have 10 RV's on their lot, each buying 20 gallons of fuel and 2 meals while providing no services (showers, etc.) than one truck driver buying 200 gallons of fuel and one meal while expecting services.

catfish

Expert Expediter
i like granny's kitchen at madco, but never used it for an extended layover. whenever the detroiter was jammed with b units i would use the t/a in dexter mi. (I94 exit 167). that t/a at exit 89 in richmond is a dump. the t/a in ashland va. at the 92 is much cleaner and the food is a lot better. i've had problems with van parking at a few truckstops around the country too. while at the gateway truck plaza in e. st louis, i was awakened by their security guard at 7 am after driving most of the night and told i would have to leave so they would have room for freight brokers to park even though i was in the farthest corner away from the building. (of course, he didn't bother the campers parked in the same lot) i found the manager and told him what i thought. his reply was "why don't you park with the big trucks?" i told him that was dumb because if someone went to back into a hole in the dark they wouldn't see my little van and it would be my fault. parked at a pilot in atlanta (exit 51? can't get the exits straight since they renumbered them a couple years back)and found a note on my windshield saying i would be towed if i didn't move. ditto for the conlee truck stop in syracuse, even though i fueled, showered, and was eating in their restaurant when they posted the note. i think these people need to understand that the trucking industry is their lifeblood whether it's a guy in an e350 or a w900. i think a truck stop guide for expediters would be helpful, especially for the van guys, so they know which stops are expediter-freindly. i recently got out of the business (for family reasons: the job was the best i've ever had)but wanted to add my 2 cents because i know what you guys (and ladies) have to deal with at some of these places. hope you guys don't mind hearing from an "ex"pediter. i do miss the business and like to stay in touch. drive safe! catfish

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
Catfish,

Thanks for contributing to the Forum; it's always good to
get input from veterans of this business, whether they're
currently active in expediting or not.

RE: The truck stop guide. We have one available on the
front page of EO - it's listed in the menu on the right
hand side just a little down from the top of the page.

It was compiled by frequent EO contributor George McDonald
and is a pretty comprehensive list of layover and hang out
locations.

Jeff Jensen
Editor

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since we are T/A bashing, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The TA in Youngstown, OH wanted my driver's license and a credit card to hold while I filled my truck with fuel (I pay cash). I bought deisel at the next stop.

At the TA in Ashland, VA I purchased $120 worth of fuel and they don't even give you a free cup of coffee!!!

The TA in S. Baltimore is old, dirty (including showers) and the 4 people they had working behind the counter couldn't figure out how to use a credit card that wouldn't scan. (They lost a $300 equipment sale).

I am finding that more and more of the truck stops are asking for deposits for cash customers when purchasing fuel. The employees are saying that there are trucks driving off without paying.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a related article about T/A's in the November 2002 issue of Land Line Magazine (OOIDA). If you are not a member of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, you may want to consider it. I joined for several reasons, one being to be in their random drug testing program. They also offer health insurance and other benefits. The phone number is 800/444-5791 or www.ooida.com.

Drive Safe.