Other communications

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I know most of you use only CB. I see there are other way to talk using GMRS MURS and there others you use without a license all you need is a low power uhf radio and you there with a hole world can talk to without the bad words. You can talk over 5 miles with no troubles. Okay CB is okay for channel 19 but why if want to talk someone close by with no noise. GMRS is great....Thanks from Linda and Micheal

Monty

Expert Expediter
I haven't used a cb in years .... yea, there's one on board, but I seldom listen to it ... with the cell phone .. no one needs them these days, and xm radio fills the silence.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I know it can be hard on your ears. I have use it from the early 70's when you could talk for miles. Then you would need a class D license. It was a little but not that much bad talk and the FCC would listen to it too. You had to use your call letters. I know you said XMradio they are a blesson I would sit on the talk channels and listen all day and night. The only time you would my CB if there was a back up or at the shipper or receiver and the truck stop scales. I more or less talking about general chatting with other expediters. There were a flew people I would chat with over GMRS on 462.5625 or channel 1 on FRS. That was almost clear with some other people who just moving from side of country to other. That was great... I am at home now and I miss it sometimes. Thanks from Linda and Micheal

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My CB is only on when i need info on all the brake lights i see ahead of me...other then that, if i want to talk to anyone, i use my cell phone....

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What is this GSMS and MURS?? What does it stand for? and what kind of radio is needed? I've been looking into a HAM license for myself... the license itself is less than $50 from what I've been told, and a decent HAM radio can be had for less than $250 or so... I said "Decent", not great. From what I've been told, HAM operators seem to have a growing number in the trucking sector and can broadcast many more miles than a CB.
UHF was mentioned... isn't that like what boaters use on the water?
What's the range on these radio systems you're talking about??
BBB

fredb29617

Seasoned Expediter
We hams are increasing in number in the industry . The license is easy to get you can study on line do a google search. We police ourselves and there are clubs all over the country where you can take the test. Go to www.arrl.com for more info. Fred Brewer / k4emp 73s

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I see where you are comming form CB is the way of the trucker for a very long time. You could just buy that radio and antenna you are on your way to the world of CB. What gave CB a bad name is the same reason it easy to get one. NO one has to use it the way was ment. I used my CB all the time I just had to filter the bad stuff. You want to know about GMRS is General Mobile Radio Service that something diferent you have 8 repeater channels and you can use 14 simplex channels
You buy a radio from any where like Walmart Target or anywhere there is a department store.
You can talk with no troubles.......
MURS is more less High band or you know it as VHF that could cost more to get in. It is cheaper to get FRS or GMRS FRS stand for Family Radio Service.

Like the other guy you can try for your Amateur Radio ticket but that include taking a test and knowing some electrons and knowing Part 97 rules either way is fun.

The main reason I heard trucker get into ham is because they just like being to talk for longer distant. I myself is a ham. I been a ham for more than 28 years and I love it too. I was just talking about what is fast and simple. Thanks from Linda and Micheal W2MBC

mbc383

Expert Expediter
K4EMP I think I heard you on the 2 meters and 440 systems around Winston Salem,Nc. I sometimes use the 145.25 repeater in Greensboro,NC Thanks from Linda and Micheal...

DriverX

Seasoned Expediter
I only use the CB when there is a traffic backup to see if I need to reroute.Ihave been a ham for a while now and do 2 meter and,440 as well as the HF

Sent from my PG86100 using EO Forums

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Hello:

I know being into amateur radio is fun to have when you are on the road. I know having CB is nice to have for traffic and road troubles. I have had some nice chats on CB radio it is getting harder find someone who just want to talk. I remember you could call on channel 9 for help those are over too the react is not the same as it was in the past . I found out how many trucker hams be on 146.520 and talking that is cool. Thanks from Linda and Micheal