OSU and Jim Tressel

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tressel sanctioned for withholding info
By Charles Robinson and Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
Mar 8, 6:37 pm EST

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State has suspended coach Jim Tressel for the first two games of the 2011 season and also fined the Buckeyes coach $250,000 for failing to disclose prior knowledge about his players’ involvement in a memorabilia scheme with a Columbus businessman.

Jim Tressel and Ohio State could be penalized further by the NCAA.

Yahoo! Sports reported Monday that Tressel had received information that quarterback Terrelle Pryor and other players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010. Tressel admitted Tuesday that he had indeed withheld information about his players’ involvement in the scheme – something the university discovered on Jan. 13 when reviewing files for an unrelated matter.

Related CoverageTressel knew of violations Athletic director Gene Smith said Ohio State self-reported a 10.1 unethical conduct infraction to the NCAA in February, shortly after discovering Tressel’s omission.

“I’m disappointed this happened at all,” Tressel said in a news conference which included Smith and Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee. “I take responsibility for what we do at Ohio State tremendously seriously. Obviously I plan to grow from this. I’m sincerely saddened by the fact that I let some people down and that I didn’t do some things as well as I could possibly do.”

The NCAA, which considers such a violation major, issued a statement that read: “We appreciate Ohio State University’s prompt response regarding this issue and we are committed to continuing our cooperative investigation.”

Tressel’s suspension and fine account for Ohio State’s self-imposed sanctions for the coach’s ethical conduct violation. He will also receive a public reprimand and must make a public apology. However, the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions could choose to stiffen those penalties with a more lengthy suspension or other potential sanctions.

Emails released by Ohio State revealed that in April, Tressel was notified by an attorney that several of his players were selling memorabilia to Rife, who was under federal investigation. Tressel said he was “scared” for his players after receiving the emails and felt compelled to keep the correspondence private despite the informant – who Tressel said was not a federal attorney – failing to request confidentiality until their second exchange. Tressel also said he was confused about who he could reveal the information to.

While continually talking about his sense that the April email exchanges were confidential, Tressel was halted by Smith from answering whether the coach ever forwarded any of the emails to another party. Smith said Tressel was barred from answering that question, because such information was still considered part of the ongoing NCAA probe.

The NCAA is still considering the appeal of the five players involved in the memorabilia dealings with Rife. After the Buckeyes self-reported the scheme in December – without the knowledge of Tressel’s omission – the NCAA suspended the players for the first five games of the 2011 season, including Pryor, running back Dan Herron, wideout DeVier Posey, defensive end Solomon Thomas and offensive lineman Mike Adams.

The players also had to repay the improper benefits gained – $2,500 for Pryor, $1,505 for Thomas, $1,250 for Posey, $1,150 for Herron and $1,000 for Adams. Linebacker Jordan Whiting also had to pay $150 to a charity for receiving a discounted tattoo.

Both Smith and Gee said Tressel’s withholding of information never placed his job in jeopardy.

“Wherever we end up, Jim Tressel is our football coach,” Smith said. “He is our coach, and we trust him implicitly.”

Asked if he ever considered firing Tressel, Gee gave an emphatic “no,” saying, “Are you kidding me? Let me be clear. I just hope the coach doesn’t dismiss me.”

Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said the school never considered firing Tressel.

Tressel said the tone of the emails – which came from a lawyer whose name was not released – gave him cause for concern. In the emails, Rife was described as being involved in a criminal drug trafficking case. Tressel said the serious tone of the emails made him fear for the players who might have been involved with Rife.

“I have had a player murdered,” Tressel said. “I’ve had a player incarcerated. I’ve had a player get taken into the drug culture and lose his opportunity for a productive life. It was obviously tremendously concerning. Quite honestly, I was scared.”

According to the Ohio State investigation, the five players sold multiple items to Rife, who displayed some of the memorabilia on his Facebook page. Among the pieces sold were Pryor’s 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award, Herron’s jersey, multiple Big Ten championship rings and multiple golden pants pendants awarded to the players for victories over the University of Michigan. Pryor, Posey, Herron, Thomas and Whiting were also cited for receiving discounted tattoos from Rife.

The NCAA’s reinstatement staff ruled in late December that the five players were eligible for the 2011 Sugar Bowl game against Arkansas. Smith revealed in December that the ruling came after some lobbying by Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany.

Contact Yahoo! Sports investigative reporter Charles Robinson at [email protected]

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Big Ten USED to be pretty doggone straight in how it acted. Too bad it LOWERED the standards. BO and Woody are rolling over in their graves right about now. Time to get back to basics. Winning is NOT the most important thing. Helping those boys grow into mature adults is. Even IF it costs a season. It is ONLY football and frankly NOT as important as SO many make it out to be. It SHOULD be FUN and a LEARNING experience.

IF Ohio State wants to regain it's credibility and honor they will fire Tressel, sooner than later. Yesterday would be good.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
They fire Tressel, they'll have riots lol...

I understand its NCAA rules, but the whole thing is stupid. They traded THEIR stuff for tats, not huge favors, nothing illegal....

Yes Tressel broke the rules. But some would say he did an honorable thing not ratting.

Hard to judge.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I understand its NCAA rules, but the whole thing is stupid. They traded THEIR stuff for tats, not huge favors, nothing illegal....

Yes Tressel broke the rules. But some would say he did an honorable thing not ratting.

Hard to judge.

Dale

I guess I look at it a bit different. When teaching kids to become responsible adults you teach them to follow the rules. When they break the rules, they get punished. His lying to the NCAA is NOT setting a good example for them. His example was that the rules don't matter, I will lie to insure we win. Winning became more important than honesty and example. That is my take.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
I think the good and positive influences Tressel has had on the lives of his players would far out weight the negatives.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
this isn't Tressels 1st dance with Ncaa rules violation...the term "Lack of Institutional Control" follows him from his days at Youngstown St. where is "star QB (Ray Issac) took cars and what iss said to be up to $10,000 from then owner of PharMor drug store chain Mickey Monus, who had breakfest with Tressel preety much daily....When PharMor went BK, it was found that Monus was paying YSU players...Tressel was the one who put the players in touch with Monus..he just asked Monus to "talk" with players as a "booster"...Issac was found guilty of trying to bribe a juror in the fraud case against him and Monus..

I respect Tressel for how his teams play on the field, but he is not the squeaky clean guy he is made out to be...the name Maurice Clarett comes to mind..and Tressel knew exactly what he was getting with him, he tried to get him to come to YSU before he let for OSU...Then there was Troy Smith taking money and cars...all in all there have been over 400 ncaa violations at OSU since Tressel came to Columbus as Head Coach....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Teaching kids to ignore or break rules that they don't like it wrong. Teaching kids to lie about it is wrong. Setting an example by lying about it yourself is setting a bad example. Teaching that winning is more important than honesty, honor and integrity is NOT teaching what SHOULD be taught.

This is just ONE example of why this country is in such a mess. Bad life lessons being TAUGHT to kids at ALL levels. You will find similar things in high school.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
As with most things, you'll often find the level of corruption (whether intentional or not) is directly related to the amount of money involved. And there is an enormous amount of money involved with college sports.

I hope this all resolves itself, but we'll never really know the whole story. I am sure there are much worse things going on in almost any program that reaches the level of success OSU has enjoyed over time. We just never hear about them. (And not to excuse OSU either, again, just good at covering up.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As with most things, you'll often find the level of corruption (whether intentional or not) is directly related to the amount of money involved. And there is an enormous amount of money involved with college sports.

I hope this all resolves itself, but we'll never really know the whole story. I am sure there are much worse things going on in almost any program that reaches the level of success OSU has enjoyed over time. We just never hear about them. (And not to excuse OSU either, again, just good at covering up.)

Yep, money is part of the problem. The ONLY way to resolve this with honor is fire Tressel and get rid of ALL players who are NOT following rules. ALL college programs SHOULD follow suit. With the atmosphere of corruption is it any wonder that the NFL and NBA have SO many down right thugs playing?

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Yep, money is part of the problem. The ONLY way to resolve this with honor is fire Tressel and get rid of ALL players who are NOT following rules. ALL college programs SHOULD follow suit. With the atmosphere of corruption is it any wonder that the NFL and NBA have SO many down right thugs playing?

Well there goes my Fall Saturday afternoons! :(

Sadly, this will never happen. They may fire Tressel, but the incentive to "bend the rules" to win will still be there for the next coach.

When it comes right down to it, too much money. The idea of amateur "Student Athletes" seems to have passed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well there goes my Fall Saturday afternoons! :(

Sadly, this will never happen. They may fire Tressel, but the incentive to "bend the rules" to win will still be there for the next coach.

When it comes right down to it, too much money. The idea of amateur "Student Athletes" seems to have passed.

You are likely right I am sorry to say. I used to like watching college football. Not so much any more. It has just become a "minor" league for the pros. Too bad. Luckily football and hunting seasons are at the same time of year for the most part. I prefer being outside with friends than being a couch potato any way! :p

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The NCAA also has a little bit to answer for in this mess. After it came to light that the players had been getting inappropriate compensation for awards, trinkets, etc, the players were suspended for five games - but NOT the upcoming Sugar Bowl game. Think about the loss of audience to the NCAA and the BCS if those five players weren't playing in the bowl. Tressel is toast - but he's the one that got caught as opposed to the ones that didn't. As we turn the pages on the calendar, keep another coach in mind that will probably be sweating - Gene Chizik at Auburn. How long will it be until the facts come out about Cam Newton and his daddy shopping him like a free agent?

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
yeah and look at who they play for there suspended games. If they gonna suspend them make it for games that matter.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Hard to judge.

Dale

Tressel is the authority figure here so if people believe he acted honorably by not "ratting"on his players they are just plain wrong. It is part of his job to go to the NCAA when infractions have occured not sweep it under a rug.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Tressel isn't going anywhere except back on the field with the Buckeyes. I don't believe that management would be so dumb as to get rid of him..:D