Options for a new cargo van driver

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I have a friend interested in driving a cargo van...if he's new to expediting, but no kids or wife so he's willing to stay out long stretches of time any ideas where he can get on at? He doesn't want to be an owner operator just yet, he wants to get his feet wet first. Good driving record, good guy but I don't know much about the van side of this life! Thanks!

Pagan Trucker Girl - Blessed Be

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would check out the EO classifieds. I would also talk to as many current drivers as possible. There are some outright horror stories out here. He needs to get with a good owner and a good company....they will most often be found in the same place.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Its tough in classifieds they want a year experiance to drive C/V i would fill out apps for the "good" company and they will put you in touch with fleet owners

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks...looked in EO classifieds already gave him some numbers to call. We're in a straight truck and only worked for one company so even though we love it, we are limited in our experience of companies!

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
That dose make it tough with out experiance ... i recomened convo with drivers of all companys possible to help comfirm or denie any and everything you have heard ... i hope you and your friend get some smiles and miles

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I'm getting my smiles and miles! Lol! Hoping to get him his own smiles and miles!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would check out the EO classifieds. I would also talk to as many current drivers as possible. There are some outright horror stories out here. He needs to get with a good owner and a good company....they will most often be found in the same place.

I have had a driver in my cargo van for 6 months now. She has been paid on time - paid bonuses - and I have never had a problem with her. She will be leaving me at the end of the month and I am looking for a replacement. Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I am going to let my new driver contact her as a reference. You only have 1 name in this business and once you burn it you are finished. There are good owners out there. You have to vet them properly and make sure that you are doing business with a reputable owner.

guido4475

Not a Member
Don Barker? I don't know what his qualifications are, but it seems his drivers are really happy, with new Sprinters.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Hey blizzard im lookin for an owner as well if youd like to talk privately

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry been down with a tooth ache but feel free to pm me contact info Blizzard so I can have him contact you!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A good way for your friend to cut his teeth is work for a local delivery company as a driver. More money if he owns the equipment I started out the same way as an O/O and the benifits are 1 you know if you have the hussle and people skills, 2 you learn how shippers and recivers tick, 3 you learn if you have what it takes to be in this business, and 4 he might make better money and be home every nite. Also as we know he will want at least a couple grand in the bank to cover the slow times, living expenses, repairs, and crap happens.
Where is your friend located maby I can givee him some names.

I have found working local / regional I make almost as much money local as being out and the expenses are more stable.
Wish you and your friend luck

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
He's in the Indianapolis area, but I know he's looking forward to the otr bit. No kids, single so he wants to get out and about but I'm sure he'd do local for awhile to learn the biz a little better.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums