opinions wanted on team pay/percentage

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
I have been a solo operator my entire expediting career (12 years) I am looking to take on a team driver to run with me in my truck.
I understand the 60/40 split and the FSC standards in our industry. My question is this: Since I own my truck and the team will not be driving for a fleet owner,what is a fair percentage for me to pay my team driver. The reason I ask is that I want to be fair,but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. ( I had one potential team driver who wanted to know my expenses,such as truck payment,insurance etc,.......He thought he should get 50% of gross after truck expenses) I need advice please.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
20% not counting the FSC.

Truck said:( I had one potential team driver who wanted to know my expenses,such as truck payment,insurance etc,.......He thought he should get 50% of gross after truck expenses)

Your hiring a driver, not a partner.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What I pay my co driver is 23% of surface expedite loads.24% w/g Loads and 50% of the acessaral charges.I can do this as i pay myself a lower drivers wage.Most people pay the drivers a 20% split,and as a driver he doesnt have to know your expenses ,after all hes just a driver.two things though,the more you pay your driver,the less you have to give the IRS,and what ever it takes to keep your drive available.

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
20% not counting the FSC.

Truck said:( I had one potential team driver who wanted to know my expenses,such as truck payment,insurance etc,.......He thought he should get 50% of gross after truck expenses)

Your hiring a driver, not a partner.

Hmm. So the owners risk and investment is worth 0% as far as that guy was concerned huh? Sounds like employees I have had in the past. LoL

truckrnnr

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the responces,......you are all thinking the same as I am. My personal business expenses are "MY" business. I thought the 20% was fair,but I wanted others opinions as well. I figure since my actual expenses are low,I could start at 20% with the option of a higher rate if I find a GOOD team driver.
I've never run team,but the solo freight is so ridiculous as of late,....well, you know what I mean.
Thank You,
TRUCKRNNR
A.K.A. Rob.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oh just for sheets and giggles, give 50 percent along with half of all your expenses. Only seems fair:D

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The potential "Co driver" sounds like any Professional athlete, he's making millions, but still wants a cut of the owners profits.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
He wants 50% of your net,ok,in your expenses,you have to figure in drivers pay,so add 2 drivers pay to your expenses and give him 50% of the net,see how he likes working for peanuts