One drink a day

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've lost 60 pounds since October, not by taking a magic potion or a pill, nor or by continuing to eat the same foods that got me to where I was. Just as there is no royal road to geometry, there is no magic pill to health.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Some people need extra supplements to help them along, if they don't like the kind of foods that give them proper nutrition, or don't absorb nutrients normally. I know I do. There is no magic 'quick fix' pill, but a supplement that gives the body the right tools allows things to work correctly.

Dale

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Royal road to geometry?!?!?! Magic pill?!?!!

I have read nothing but successful stories from every one that has tried plexus. This and a clinical study showed every one who took it had lower glucose levels and had lost weight, among other benefits. That seems a little magical to me.

Can't you just agree what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Royal road to geometry?!?!?! Magic pill?!?!!
Yes. If you understand the meaning of Euclid's reply to King Ptolemy's request of a quick and easy way to learn mathematics and geometry, you'll understand the metaphorical applicability of that phrase here.

Can't you just agree what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander?
Blindly and ignorantly without doing comprehensive research? No, I can't. Not any more than I can agree with the opposite. In the history of history there hasn't been a single weight loss pill or supplement of any kind that has been 100% safe and effective on everyone. If there was we'd only have the one and everyone would be taking it, instead of a steady stream of "too good to be true" weight loss items appearing and disappearing from the market with incredible regularity.

For many people, Plexus may be great, and worth taking, but if you have medical issues like obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes or heart disease, and are taking any medications for it, then you have to be very careful as to what supplements, or even food you ingest (my statin medication had to be carefully selected because I like and eat grapefruit and the juice thereof). My doctor told me very plainly to not take any diet pills or dietary supplements of any kind without her explicit OK, other than a daily multivitamin, since medications and dosage would likely have to be adjusted if taking any weight loss supplement. There are a couple of Plexus ingredients that are a little iffy if you are on Metformin, for example. At least one that can be problematic if you are on Glipizide. And two that shouldn't be taken if you are using a blood pressure beta blocker like Metoprolol. I take all three of those medications. If I were to take Plexus, the effectiveness of all of those medications would be reduced. That would be great if Plexus were an all-natural substitute for those medications, I'd be all over it, because I hate prescription drugs with a passion, but it's not. You have to be careful and aware of this stuff.

I'm not saying don't take Plexus. All I'm saying is, there is no royal road to geometry, and there is no magic pill. Plexus may work for you and it may work for others, but for me, I have chosen the path of simply eating healthier rather than continuing the lifelong tactic of abusing my pie hole at every opportunity.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I guess the term "all natural" means little because some of the ingredients in this aren't things people would consume naturally. The other concern would be using their supplements to Slim which can cause false positives for amphetamines, not good for a driving career. Apparently there is a much cheaper alternative than buying Slim. Alpha lipoic acid, one of the only ingredients of Slim which seems to show some potential help with weight loss is much cheaper purchased on it's own. According to the site below there are a couple of benefits "This is an antioxidant and it helps it turn carbs into energy.* It can also help regenerate other antioxidants, which is pretty snazzy" and "A third study from 2010 noted that *alpha lipoic acid increased metabolic rate*in older, lab mice.* In theory this might help weight loss.* It was also noted that alpha lipoic acid might reduce muscle loss in older mice as well". The site recommends checking with a doctor first if you have diabetes or take synthroid due to side effects.

http://supplement-geek.com/plexus-slim-review-ingredients-side-effects/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Alpha lipoic acid, one of the only ingredients of Slim which seems to show some potential help with weight loss is much cheaper purchased on it's own.
It's also one of the ingredients that I alluded to above that can be a little iffy if you are on Metformin, one of the most common oral diabetic medications on the market. It more or less doubles the work that Metformin does on blood glucose, but as a result hinders the work Metformin does with the glucose production of the liver. When taken together, the side effects of Metformin can be heightened (most notably gastrointestinal problems, usually diarrhea and malabsorption of B12) and can long term result in lactic acidosis because liver function of glucose production is impaired rather than diminished under control of the Metformin. The amount of Alpha lipoic acid in Slim is rather small, but over time it adds up. If you're on Metformin, I would guess that 3 months max unmonitored would be the limit, and after that you'd want blood work done to check ketone levels and a few other liver function indicators.

Interesting link. Thanks.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh the countless "I don't know, I can't find, could possibly if if if's" in that link makes me wonder who would ever rely on anything that person says.

One thing that really stood out to me was his comment on caffeine. Natural or not "its caffeine". That is so further from the truth. Here is what I found and the difference of natural and synthetic caffeine's.

Synthetic caffeine will give you a similar “buzz” as natural caffeine, but your body has a more difficult time breaking it down because it does not recognize it as a natural substance. Over years of excessive, consumption can lead to liver and kidney problems. Synthetic caffeine hits your nervous system immediately after hitting your stomach and will result in a much more major inevitable crash a few hours later. Natural caffeine takes a little longer to be absorbed in the body, will stay in your body longer increasing mental clarity, and then eventually wear off gradually.

Some people swear that they just can’t get out of bed without their caffeine. This is true- it is highly addictive and habit forming. If you need caffeine- our vote is to just stay with the organic stuff.

I will be doing my own research of each ingredient and post each positive and negative. Not just if its good for weight loss.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh the countless "I don't know, I can't find, could possibly if if if's" in that link makes me wonder who would ever rely on anything that person says.

The statement that he couldn't find something means he found no studies had been done to confirm the results either way, it is called honesty and giving all the information. It is different than the flat out lies and misleading statements Plexus uses to sell it's products. How is stating that a study hasn't been done so we can't be sure less credible to you than a company completely lying about it's product?

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
His claim
Dark Chocolate – won’t help weight loss, unless it has caffeine

Webmd's
http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827/dark-chocolate-is-healthy-chocolate

His claim
Green Tea Extract – probably has caffeine or EGCG

American journal of clinical nutrition's
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/greentea.htm

His claim
Vanadium Chelate. Fancy name for Vanadium. It won’t help weight loss.

Webmd's
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...ngredientId=749&activeIngredientName=vanadium

I don't think this guy did much research

I really like his little one line responses to what are some great ingredients to good health

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Personally, I'd love to see all of the extensive independent research and the exhaustive studies about Plexus, how it is safe and effective and has no side effects or drug interactions. In lieu of all, I'd settle for one.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes. If you understand the meaning of Euclid's reply to King Ptolemy's request of a quick and easy way to learn mathematics and geometry, you'll understand the metaphorical applicability of that phrase here.

Blindly and ignorantly without doing comprehensive research? No, I can't. Not any more than I can agree with the opposite. In the history of history there hasn't been a single weight loss pill or supplement of any kind that has been 100% safe and effective on everyone. If there was we'd only have the one and everyone would be taking it, instead of a steady stream of "too good to be true" weight loss items appearing and disappearing from the market with incredible regularity.

For many people, Plexus may be great, and worth taking, but if you have medical issues like obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes or heart disease, and are taking any medications for it, then you have to be very careful as to what supplements, or even food you ingest (my statin medication had to be carefully selected because I like and eat grapefruit and the juice thereof). My doctor told me very plainly to not take any diet pills or dietary supplements of any kind without her explicit OK, other than a daily multivitamin, since medications and dosage would likely have to be adjusted if taking any weight loss supplement. There are a couple of Plexus ingredients that are a little iffy if you are on Metformin, for example. At least one that can be problematic if you are on Glipizide. And two that shouldn't be taken if you are using a blood pressure beta blocker like Metoprolol. I take all three of those medications. If I were to take Plexus, the effectiveness of all of those medications would be reduced. That would be great if Plexus were an all-natural substitute for those medications, I'd be all over it, because I hate prescription drugs with a passion, but it's not. You have to be careful and aware of this stuff.

I'm not saying don't take Plexus. All I'm saying is, there is no royal road to geometry, and there is no magic pill. Plexus may work for you and it may work for others, but for me, I have chosen the path of simply eating healthier rather than continuing the lifelong tactic of abusing my pie hole at every opportunity.

Sir, I commend you for having the will power to do so.

I myself have been eating healthier for a couple months now with very little results. Out of all the weight loss products out there this seem to me one of the best for me (and a lot of others too)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
His claim
Dark Chocolate – won’t help weight loss, unless it has caffeine

Webmd's
http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827/dark-chocolate-is-healthy-chocolate

I saw nothing about dark chocolate helping weight loss in this link.

His claim
Green Tea Extract – probably has caffeine or EGCG

American journal of clinical nutrition's
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/greentea.htm

Yes, it does have caffeine and it says that in your link.

His claim
Vanadium Chelate. Fancy name for Vanadium. It won’t help weight loss.

Webmd's
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...ngredientId=749&activeIngredientName=vanadium

I don't think this guy did much research

I really like his little one line responses to what are some great ingredients to good health

So is the weight loss benefit from the diarrhea, nausea, gas, or nervous system complications?
"Vanadium is*LIKELY SAFE*in adults, if less than 1.8 mg per day is taken. At higher doses, such as those used to treat diabetes, vanadium frequently causes unwanted side effects including abdominal discomfort,*diarrhea,*nausea, and gas. It can also cause a greenish*tongue, loss of energy, and problems with the*nervous system."

Or do you think it is from the kidney damage?
"There is developing evidence that vanadium might harm the kidneys. If you have kidney disease, don’t use vanadium supplements."

Those quotes are from your link and your claim that he is wrong somehow certainly isn't backed up by your links, in fact they show he is right.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sir, I commend you for having the will power to do so.

I myself have been eating healthier for a couple months now with very little results. Out of all the weight loss products out there this seem to me one of the best for me (and a lot of others too)
It's not about will power, it's about making an intelligent, informed decision to eat healthy. Everything I eat is predicated on, "What will this do to my blood sugar, my cholesterol, or my blood pressure?" If the answer is, "It'll be bad," or "I don't know," then I don't eat it.

The side effect of that decision making process is I'm losing weight, and all my bloodwork numbers are right where they are supposed to be, unlike last fall where hardly any of them were.

To many people think they can continue to eat what they have all along, and take a magic pill, or an insulin shot, and it'll be OK.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you reading and retaining only what works for Paul ud's beliefs? Do you not notice the higher percentage of people these ingredients can help or only the small percentage that fits into mr ud's category?

The ingredients can be beneficial for a healthier body which can lead to weight loss. That link you posted. His only objective seemed to find if all the ingredient promoted weight loss. What kind of review is that of a product that claims so much more?

I will continue to take this stuff and post our success while I am sure you will be right there to try and dispute our out come.

Good night!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Are you reading and retaining only what works for Paul ud's beliefs? Do you not notice the higher percentage of people these ingredients can help or only the small percentage that fits into mr ud's category?

What are you talking about? You said he claimed one thing and then posted a link that showed he was right but you appear to be claiming he is wrong. Can you copy and paste what you feel shows he is wrong? I never claimed there were no benefits to any of the ingredients, in fact I stated there was at least one that showed promise.

The ingredients can be beneficial for a healthier body which can lead to weight loss. That link you posted. His only objective seemed to find if all the ingredient promoted weight loss. What kind of review is that of a product that claims so much more?

Imagine that, a person breaking down a weight loss product into separate ingredients and going over what they are and if they contribute to weight loss. He even had the nerve to do it on a website that specializes in doing just that. He was reviewing what the ingredients are, gave you information to purchase the ones that may promote weight loss at a much cheaper price if that is what you are interested in and allows you to avoid some nasty side effects. He never claimed the rest of the ingredients were garbage but did go over side effects. The product has slim in the name and is marketed mainly as a weight loss product, the other claimed benefits are associated with weight loss so the focus of the article was on weight loss. Why are you having a problem with that?

I will continue to take this stuff and post our success while I am sure you will be right there to try and dispute our out come.

Good night!

I'm not going to dispute results and I really hope it works for you. I believe there is some potential in some of the ingredients and will likely purchase them on their own to save money.