OK, What is the real truth?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Now that I know what truck to buy, thanks to all of your responses, I would like to know the truth about the pay. I have talked to 7 or 8 recruiters. The response is about the same. 1300 to 2500 miles per week or 5k to 7k per month to the truck. These are straight truck rates. Is this smoke or factual?
Thanks again for all your replies!:D

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The truth is the miles vary from week to week and in many cases day to day. One week you can do well and then sit for most of the next. Now this varies also from company to company as well. So one month you can easily do $5k or more and the next not even close. Right now there is no consistency in the freight availability. Nor is there consistency in many of the normal freight areas. Some of us are doing ok but not great and a few are doing alright. Many others are up and down so much it is actually frustrating.

Sorry no real answer for you that will make you seem at ease about miles. In my case I'm doing a lot of short hauls that go for a minimum amount and therefore are a lot per mile so makes up for the lack of better runs, but still not a lot.

Hopefully some of the others can let you know for their specific company.
Rob

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the reply Rob. That is the info that I have seen on here posted in the past. The recruiters all say they are gearing up for a change in the next couple of weeks. Thought maybe there might be some up to date info available to back that up.
Thanks again

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
We are all gearing up for more freight. The reality is it's not happening yet. It is getting really tough out here.

guido4475

Not a Member
Just what we need more trucks :eek:

You run local and/or freight in the tri-state area, right? So youre saying freight is slow in the local market as well?

Does anyone run a van for All-state? I was talking to them at the Expo about the van. Just wondering how vans are actually doing there.I used to be leased to them years ago,and they treated me pretty well there.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
My numbers: Solo st two years ago average 6000 miles per month now if you do 4000 miles per month say thank you. I would wait one year to buy a truck.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
The truth is the miles vary from week to week and in many cases day to day. One week you can do well and then sit for most of the next. Now this varies also from company to company as well. So one month you can easily do $5k or more and the next not even close. Right now there is no consistency in the freight availability. Nor is there consistency in many of the normal freight areas. Some of us are doing ok but not great and a few are doing alright. Many others are up and down so much it is actually frustrating.

Sorry no real answer for you that will make you seem at ease about miles. In my case I'm doing a lot of short hauls that go for a minimum amount and therefore are a lot per mile so makes up for the lack of better runs, but still not a lot.

Hopefully some of the others can let you know for their specific company.
Rob

I am finding it the same way as described by FIS53. I run independent of a carrier, but it is still the same when it comes to miles per week or month. Just when I think things are getting better, it goes right back. It is just so slow right now. I can't imagine why anybody would even consider this right now.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Before buying the truck !
it will help if you treat yourself to a realistic business plan.
a first good advice is not to count the per week .
rather the per quarter .
and annually .

one question to ask your self :
can you run your truck for less then your competition ?
for how long ?

just because a carrier is adding trucks ,
is not to say they have freight to put in the box.
a good indication , is the turn over rate ,
don't bother asking the recruiters , they will (lie)or avoid .
ask what will be your new truck # ,
then pick a lower # , (or just look for one on a truck)
ask for the driver Phone # ,(or just ask the driver)
and ask him how long he have being leasing on .
then see how many trucks in the fleet.
, you need to make sure they have the freight for "your truck".

In expedite , the Owner Operator , is not the carrier customer ,
the shipper is .
they service the customer by providing truck coverage for the areas where the freight might come out of .
they get a better coverage by leasing on more contractors.
which make the market very competitive in today environment .
good luck.
keep asking.

BHC1108

Seasoned Expediter
I agree just because Companies are adding trucks, this is not the indiator that business is picking up. The reallity is that the most iron one has in the fire is the more chances of being in the right place to service any customer. Expedite is being in the right place at the right time:any then having the hour to do the run for solo drivers.