ok all HINO owner & operators

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
Well hi all and even more so to all the owners & more importance all drivers of these wonderful vehicles from across the pond yes i mean JAPAN
well after sitting in knoxville for the last 4 days no not because of the lack of freight but because of my wonderful 09 HINO 3 months old 46000 miles only

decided to have a rest at the the local dealership because of a blown DPR & INJECTORS & wait for it intake exhaust valve as well .but all jokes aside we have heard numerous things about what to put in it fuel tank ok other than deisel ok .

After a great conversation today with a gentleman from the higher branches of HINO i got it straight and i am about to pass it on to you all in case you do not know ok
power service , howes , lucas anti gel is to be put in these wonderful workhorses well ponys sounds better as soon as old man winter starts biting ok if the temp falls below 30 degs f get this anti gel stuff into the tank that is if your putting in ULSD but the cleaners like injector clean or etc etc is not to go anywhere need these units be like a kangaroo and give it a kick away from your tank next good new if your in a 09 or late 08 model so i belive the fuel filter at the side has got a heater element in it that will assist in helping your unit from gelling up or there is a inline heater return available on the HINO market .
but hope this will help some of you out there in stopping your HINO FROM FREEZING UP before it does in the mean time happy trucking

wombat :)
40 yrs plus in trucking
express 1 driver
ex aussie & a great guy lol
ooida
and proud to be a 40 yr veteran in the trucking industry
in the USA as well as my ex homeland Australia

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I am so glad mine is pre DPR, heard alot of nightmare stories on the new clean idle Hino's Maybe by the time I am in the market again they wil have this stuff worked out. If not maybe an International is in my future

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
yes a international, freightliner, kenworth, peterbuilt, anything but a HINO WHILST it has got this bug in it by the way i see it the DPR is causing all these problems but i been assured by higher up levels that the bug has been fixed , and everything will be go go go but do not forget TEMPS FALL BELOW 3O DEGS and your on ULSD get that antigel liquid in the tank ,,

one question ok .. the government is the folks that wanted this cleaner deisel fuel be it ULSD with a water content of at least 25% actually it is 30% and you do not have to be a brain surgeon to know that water freeezes at low temps just like this AUSSIE does so for the add expense does this mean that the government remember they are the ones who said a different cleaner fuel will send back all the $$ i spend on this add fuel supplement ? to stop the water from freezing

WOMBAT

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
yes a international, freightliner, kenworth, peterbuilt, anything but a HINO WHILST it has got this bug in it by the way i see it the DPR is causing all these problems but i been assured by higher up levels that the bug has been fixed , and everything will be go go go but do not forget TEMPS FALL BELOW 3O DEGS and your on ULSD get that antigel liquid in the tank ,,

one question ok .. the government is the folks that wanted this cleaner deisel fuel be it ULSD with a water content of at least 25% actually it is 30% and you do not have to be a brain surgeon to know that water freeezes at low temps just like this AUSSIE does so for the add expense does this mean that the government remember they are the ones who said a different cleaner fuel will send back all the $$ i spend on this add fuel supplement ? to stop the water from freezing

WOMBAT

the internet and the website of dept of energy about water in ULSD

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, it can get expensive buying the supplements I priced the power service(i think at Wal-mart and it is 6.84 (100 gallon)for the small bottle 16 something for the large bottle(250 gallon) The pilot had it for 8.99 and 19 something
Still am searching for the best deal, since I will have to run a supplement.:)

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
If you find it cheaper let me know asap .been told truckpro got it cheaper if you buy it by the case

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If you find it cheaper let me know asap .been told truckpro got it cheaper if you buy it by the case

Will do, gonna check autozone since you get money/credit if you spend over 20, will check o'reilly's and tractor supply when I have time
truck stops are definately not the place to save money

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

Power Service $5.84 a quart at Meijer

Innospec Fuel Specialties Winter Flow
complies with federal low sulfur content requirements and is safe for use with DPR systems
1 quart will treat
100 gallons in severe winter conditions and
250 gallons in normal winter conditions

I can buy this through Penske and is what they use in all their trucks and fuel islands
I will pay $7 plus tax through my lease
I tried a web search and couldn't find locations to buy, but
here is the phone number
303 792-5554

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay Meijer seems cheapest for Power Service $5.84 a quart
I'm gonna go with ths Innospec Winterflow since I can get it through Penske and they recommend it. This way they can't blame me for an un authorized supplement in fuel. Gotta cover your arse these days:eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My Hino has been in the shop three times in the past two weeks with the same problem. I drove it 7 miles the first time, 10 miles the second and 200 the third, only because they didn't have a lease replacement truck available.
They told me the diesel I bought has silicone in it. I've only bought diesel at two different places in the past month. Of course calling the station and asking if they had any reports doesn't help since they'd never admit a problem with their fuel.

Hopefully, Penske is not gonna charge me to fix the problem.:mad::eek: I should find out tommorow.
Meanwhile in the big yellow Penske truck again :(

I don't really think this is a Hino issue but it is very frustrating nonetheless. Truck has had 195k relatively trouble free miles so far and I will have the truck till my three years is up or it hit 350k whichever comes first

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the government is the folks that wanted this cleaner deisel fuel be it ULSD with a water content of at least 25% actually it is 30%

25% to 30% water content? Where do you buy your fuel? You would do better filling up at the Cuyahoga River. The water there is about 20% water and 80% petrochemicals. Remember to be safe and never smoke while fueling or fishing.

Only you can prevent river fires.

Give a hoot. Don't pollute.

Stop, drop and roll.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
25% to 30% water content? Where do you buy your fuel? You would do better filling up at the Cuyahoga River. The water there is about 20% water and 80% petrochemicals. Remember to be safe and never smoke while fueling or fishing.

Only you can prevent river fires.

Give a hoot. Don't pollute.

Stop, drop and roll.

Clever:cool:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay, found out it is a Hino issue, someone in their infinite wisdom decided to us silicone to put all the piece and hoses together on my tanks and now they have to replace the whole fuel system, under warranty of course

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Here's the perfect truck for teams or husband and wife teams, no more backseat drivers, no more arguments :p:rolleyes::D;)

Check out the dual steer Hino's on the Hino web page
Now both the driver and passenger have a steering wheel, brake and gas

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
i tried to post a picture but can't figure out how to get a picture from PDF format to a jpeg or whatever, I am not that computer savy:cool:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Check out the dual steer Hino's on the Hino web page
Now both the driver and passenger have a steering wheel, brake and gas

Don't see that working in most cases, as the passenger has to jump out and help push it up a hill. :D