oil leftovers

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
After a recent oil change I spent a little extra time and drained what was left in the bottles. I rung out almost eight ounces from twelve 1 quart bottles. I save $1.40 for an extra half hour of work per oil change. Or I save $16.80 annually. My dad would have been proud of me.

eb

Attachments

• oil residue.jpg
    oil residue.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 10

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After a recent oil change I spent a little extra time and drained what was left in the bottles. I rung out almost eight ounces from twelve 1 quart bottles. I save $1.40 for an extra half hour of work per oil change. Or I save $16.80 annually. My dad would have been proud of me.

eb

My time and energy is worth more than that. Why bother? :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Eight ounces is a lot for twelve bottles. After I empty each bottle I lay each one on it's side at an angle to collect the oil near the opening, then continue filling with the other bottles. When I'd done I go back to all the bottles that have been sitting there and will usually get a couple of three more ounces total out of them.

I do this because it requires very little additional time and energy, and over the course of a year keeps an extra quart or so of my oil out of a landfill.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I have to admit I was in a bit of a hurry during my last oil change. It started raining. Usually I leave the bottle inverted in the filler tube while I do something else. Then do the next bottle...

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OMG...

let's be really cheap and just try to scrape the oil out of each bottle!!!

Oh I'm cheap ...:p

Seriously, here is a trick.

I have somewhere a inch PCV pipe about two feet long with the caps of oil bottles drilled out to open the tops up and stuck in the pipe which has holes cut out of them, the pipe is at an angle (IIRC 7 or 15 degrees) and fits right into a gallon oil jug (with an elbow) all mounted on a 1/2 inch PVC pipe frame. Every oil change I took the 6 quart bottles and screwed them to the caps and by the next oil change, they had no residual oil in them but in the gallon jug. I think the whole thing cost me something like $4 to make.