Obama Releases $473 Million in Transport Funding to States

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
OVM I didn't intend to imply that you weren't getting it.

Half a billion is no small piece of change... If only we could put a few other half billions together and throw it all in the same direction, we might actually make some progress.

Funny, you can't spell progressive without progress but they are the ones standing in the way of anybody trying to move forward on their own!

Ohhhh dear leader, where would I be without you? Why, oh why, has my portfolio consistently lost 3% over the last 3 years when it used to gain between 8-10% over the previous 10 years?

Coincidence? I think not.

Sent from 35000 feet on my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Who is better off after 4 years of the Obama presidency? Grief counselors, food stamp administrators, auctioneers, repo men and pawn shops.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . Why, oh why, has my portfolio consistently lost 3% over the last 3 years when it used to gain between 8-10% over the previous 10 years?

Coincidence? I think not.

Sent from 35000 feet on my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

HUH?!?! If you have consistently lost 3% over the past 3 years it has little to do with who was president and more to do with who is managing your portfolio.
It is common knowledge that the stock market took a dramatic fall in 2007 through the beginning of 2009 and has recovered consistently since.

SandP index.jpg

This is the S & P 500 over the past decade. Notice the big drop in 2007 if you can see it.

I just picked 2 random stocks from my portfolio and looked at the price history from JAN 2009 to today:

IBM-90 shares. 2009 price $83.89 x 90 shares = $7,550.00
Todays price $194.85 x 90 shares= $17,536.00

SPG-75 shares. 2009 price $53.36 x 75 shares = $4,002.00
Todays price $158.70 x 75 shares = 11,902.00

Those are the actual numbers from just 2 stocks. Their charts look very similar to the S & P chart.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sorry folks, but the numbers don't lie.
you have an GDP that'll needs to qwadtriple, along with eliminating off ALL gov. spending, plus dabbling Gov. collections, and it will still won't be enough to cover the unfunded liability's our country have.
funny, it's an election year, with our economy being the front runner issue, yet you won't find even one internet link to a true solution for paying off our debt...not even the interest on our debt. ...not one book.
except of devalue our currency.
the morning after pill? , yes... Monday morning quarterback?, almost every talking head.
true solution ? - not even one.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Who is better off after 4 years of the Obama presidency?

I am and you should be too.:cool:

In 2008 fuel prices were at their peak and freight volume was low.
Unfortunately, fuel prices are back near that peak but our freight volume is up and so is our average per mile.
I don't ask people about their $ but it seems like my expediting friends are faring better these days than they were in 08. Aren't you?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Unfortunately, fuel prices are back near that peak but our freight volume is up and so is our average per mile.
I don't ask people about their $ but it seems like my expediting friends are faring better these days than they were in 08. Aren't you?

As an individual...I too am better off the last few years...income has never been higher, bought a new pick up truck last year and paid down personal debt......:)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

For some, but not for others. Quite a few fleet owners and individual truck owners went under using your period of time. Some of it is prolonged agony as many are running trucks from yesteryear and don't have the funds to rebuild or replace. Total truck count of just about every carrier is less than 08. 09 and 10 were record years for repossession in the truck industry.
Have to look at ALL of the picture and not just part of it.
Having a truck now means little until it is time to replace it with the current costs and expenses.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Last time we checked, the day he took office Gas was @ 1.87$ a gallon (not a litter!)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For some, but not for others. Quite a few fleet owners and individual truck owners went under using your period of time. Some of it is prolonged agony as many are running trucks from yesteryear and don't have the funds to rebuild or replace. Total truck count of just about every carrier is less than 08. 09 and 10 were record years for repossession in the truck industry.
Have to look at ALL of the picture and not just part of it.
Having a truck now means little until it is time to replace it with the current costs and expenses.

That is true..I was just fortunate.....thank goodness....never got caught up in the mortgage problems, didn't lose any investments....

their is a lot of older trucks around now.....that is for sure...an aging fleet

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

Humble..... do you have any idea how deep and tortuous the economic loss has been for the average American family over the last four years? Are you unaware of the magnitude of foreclosed homes in this country? The 20 million who cannot find jobs? Tens of thousands of businesses wiped out? Empty storefronts? Abandoned malls? The near hopelessness for people in their 20's and 30's who cannot find adequate work to pay for food, shelter, clothing or transportation.

We have a new generation of young people moving back in with their parents because of economic despair. Labor has been cheapened like never before. Young people have to defer marriage and career aspirations because the decent paying jobs are rare and usually held tightly by middle-aged folks trying to survive the Obama years.

Obama's economic policies have been a disaster. Consumer confidence is low. People are rightly afraid to spend on big-ticket items. Banks are more reluctant to lend. Obama has brow-beaten business for 4 years; rarely missing an opportunity to villify the risk takers who make capitalism work.

Decades from now, historians will marvel how such an ill-equipped and unprepared man such as Obama fooled the American people into trusting him. There was absolutely nothing in his background which recommended him for high office. Nothing.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
That's an excellent post, Aristotle.

Thank you. I am saddened, even alarmed, how vicious the political dialogue has become in our country. Perhaps, there was a time when good-natured barbs could be exchanged by opposing ideological camps. We Americans don't have that luxury anymore. Sands in the hour glass run low.

There is a palpable urgency to make the necessary corrections, right now. Those who would whistle our death knell, at home and abroad, are warming up. The loss of confidence in American government to solve problems has far-reaching implications. Many nations continue to exist simply because we have given our word to be the guarantors of their safety. Right or wrong, people around the globe depend on the good faith of the United States. We simply cannot afford to get this next election wrong.

Our domestic policies as decreed from Washington, DC are a mess. Our friends and enemies abroad see only vacillation and weakness. I long for the days of Nixon, Reagan, Bush and Clinton. It is well known I have no love for Clinton, but the man could govern. May God bless our land with new leadership rooted in common sense and a respect for the traditions which have served our nation from its founding.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Who is better off after 4 years of the Obama presidency?

You asked this question and I gave you an honest answer. Not sure why that launched you into a 4 paragraph rant telling me what I already know about the misfortune of others caused by a deep recession. Yes, I am aware. :confused:

Unlike you however I am not naive enough to blame this whole mess on the current administration.
Are you aware that Nixon temporarily suspended the gold standard allowing the Fed to print more money than we have reserves to cover? Are you aware that no president has reinstated that standard and that is why the Fed continues to print with abandon? Are you aware that Clinton balanced the budget during his administration and put the "pay as you go" policy in place to prevent future deficits? Are you aware that Bush and the Republican congress did away with "pay as you go" and created the largest entitlement program since SS called medicare part D? Are you aware that Reagan over deregulated the banking industry leading to unreasonably risky financial products like CDOs and Derivitives. Do you remember the housing bubble burst in 07?
Are you aware that Bush was the first president to finance a war and implement tax cuts at the same time?
I could go on and on but I know that you must be aware that these problems have been in the making for many years and that they are the culmination of bad decisions from both sides of the fence INCLUDING the present administration.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
You asked this question and I gave you an honest answer. Not sure why that launched you into a 4 paragraph rant telling me what I already know about the misfortune of others caused by a deep recession. Yes, I am aware. :confused:

Unlike you however I am not naive enough to blame this whole mess on the current administration.
Are you aware that Nixon temporarily suspended the gold standard allowing the Fed to print more money than we have reserves to cover? Are you aware that no president has reinstated that standard and that is why the Fed continues to print with abandon? Are you aware that Clinton balanced the budget during his administration and put the "pay as you go" policy in place to prevent future deficits? Are you aware that Bush and the Republican congress did away with "pay as you go" and created the largest entitlement program since SS called medicare part D? Are you aware that Reagan over deregulated the banking industry leading to unreasonably risky financial products like CDOs and Derivitives. Do you remember the housing bubble burst in 07?
Are you aware that Bush was the first president to finance a war and implement tax cuts at the same time?
I could go on and on but I know that you must be aware that these problems have been in the making for many years and that they are the culmination of bad decisions from both sides of the fence INCLUDING the present administration.

Humble... I appreciate your response. Every scintilla of your post could be true and still Obama's awful record stands alone as an unprecedented failure. Obama took a bad situation, then doubled, tripled, quadrupled our misery. There is something uniquely dreadful about Obama's time in office. He came with tremendous baggage. He came with resentment and a seething hostility.

Obama came into office with an air of "it's time for payback!" Payback for what? Look where he directed his resentment and hostilities. Obama had nothing but a mocking scorn for voters aligned with traditional values. Previous presidents from either party didn't do that. Obama seemed to view America as a deliberately mean and unfair society. Previous presidents had no qualms extolling the generous spirit of Americans. A generosity which has been a hallmark of this nation from its inception.

Obama set about to exact his revenge largely by redistributionist schemes. Punish business. Penalize the successful. Attempt takeovers, directly or indirectly, of entire industries. Having burned all his bridges for the sake of socialized medicine, making traditional legislation all but impossible... Obama uses federal regulatory agencies to implement his legislative will.

Obama has problems. He doesn't like America very much. We aren't a good enough people for him. So, he intends to reshape this nation in his own likeness. The gauntlet has been made ready. The first Tuesday in November cannot get here soon enough.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Humble... I appreciate your response. Every scintilla of your post could be true and still Obama's awful record stands alone as an unprecedented failure. Obama took a bad situation, then doubled, tripled, quadrupled our misery. There is something uniquely dreadful about Obama's time in office. He came with tremendous baggage. He came with resentment and a seething hostility.

Obama came into office with an air of "it's time for payback!" Payback for what? Look where he directed his resentment and hostilities. Obama had nothing but a mocking scorn for voters aligned with traditional values. Previous presidents from either party didn't do that. Obama seemed to view America as a deliberately mean and unfair society. Previous presidents had no qualms extolling the generous spirit of Americans. A generosity which has been a hallmark of this nation from its inception.

Obama set about to exact his revenge largely by redistributionist schemes. Punish business. Penalize the successful. Attempt takeovers, directly or indirectly, of entire industries. Having burned all his bridges for the sake of socialized medicine, making traditional legislation all but impossible... Obama uses federal regulatory agencies to implement his legislative will.

Obama has problems. He doesn't like America very much. We aren't a good enough people for him. So, he intends to reshape this nation in his own likeness. The gauntlet has been made ready. The first Tuesday in November cannot get here soon enough.

If you think I am going to defend Obama then think again. :)
I was merely talking about economics. As for waiting for the first Tuesday in November? I dream of the the day when we can walk in and vote for an independent 3rd party canidate and vote "for" someone instead of voting "against" someone.
Hope you are right about Romney. I would have been more enthusiastic about Gingrich but it seems that once again I am in the minority with my thinking.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
If you think I am going to defend Obama then think again. :)
I was merely talking about economics. As for waiting for the first Tuesday in November? I dream of the the day when we can walk in and vote for an independent 3rd party canidate and vote "for" someone instead of voting "against" someone.
Hope you are right about Romney. I would have been more enthusiastic about Gingrich but it seems that once again I am in the minority with my thinking.

No problem. Vote your conscience. I liked nearly every GOP candidate ahead of Romney in this cycle. I had high hopes for first Gingrich, then Bachmann, Perry, Santorum... yet the GOP primary voters gave the nod to a bonafide moderate, Mitt Romney. I have given a second and third look to Romney.

Begrudgingly, I have come to respect the Romney campaign. His stellar record in business stands in sharp contrast to an incumbent who largely holds business in contempt. At this critical juncture in our nation's history, Romney is far more qualified to lead us out of the economic quagmire we face.

We have no reason to believe a President Romney will feel compelled to lecture us on a daily basis. Where Obama has beaten down the national psyche, Romney offers a more optimistic vision for recovery. As Governor of Massachusetts, Romney demonstrated he can work with both parties to govern.

Presidents set the national tone. Right from the start, many Americans felt traumatized and beleaguered by Obama's incessant carping. Obama, in so many words, told us we should be ashamed of our history and who we are as a people. Unable to restrain his ego, the new President Obama just after his inauguration, went abroad on an Apology Tour and to accept the adulation of millions who knew nothing about the man. He was given the Nobel Peace Prize for no reason whatsoever. He was celebrated in foreign capitols. Bowing to dictators, tyrants and potentates of every stripe. Obama's ego was now on steroids. With huge majorities in both chambers of Congress, his will was let loose.

Yet, Obama had no patience for learning how to govern. He mustn't be bothered by such small matters as learning to build a consensus or working to achieve compromise. Didn't we understand his greatness? Didn't we see him speaking before Greek columns? Didn't we see the love poured on him by adoring Germans in Berlin? Didn't we see the him sway Muslim crowds with his oratory in Egypt? He could have read a Mickey Mouse story from the teleprompter for all they cared. America and the world had been sold a phony bill of goods.

Let's make a sober choice this time around. Romney and Ryan are worthy alternatives.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, Dennis and Turtle summed this whole tread up. Its nothing more than buying votes and cheaply too.
$ 473 million? WTF, dose he think we are cheap lot lizzards? B.T.W. No poliyician has ever seen a spending bill or tax they did not like and Clinton his ballanced budget was nothing more than eye candy because he raised the dept ceiling. In other words, he put our bills on the plastic just like every president has since the CIVIL WAR back in 1865.

Bob Wolf.