Cargo Van O/O NEEDS CITY TO BASE OUT OF AND COMPANY TO JOIN

IBXPUHDYTIN'

New Recruit
Researching
I bought a 2012 E-350 with sprinter sized box already tricked out, SRW 9930GVW 7330 CURB WEIGHT. I currently live in Seattle but am selling EVERYTHING and plan on living in van and staying out-what city should I base myself out of(thought about Memphis or Laredo) ? As soon as I say I am in Seattle the recruiters lose interest.I have 7 years otr tankers/hazmat and would like to get going around Dec as my lease is up and i am heading east one way or another.With no home or family "HOME TIME" is not an issue,Canada is fine as I have enhanced DL with no guns or DUI, but no CDL- I got thick skin so any advice or comments would be most welcome.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Near I94, between Chicago and Detroit. Or
Bison, SD.
When you lease to ONE company ask them which city/area will give you the most opportunities.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I wouldn't run out from Seattle and head into the unknown territories just yet. It will take some time and patience to learn about the van expediting business. Besides, you planned to enter the van business in a slower period. Keep researching, there are loads that go out of Seattle and come into Seattle and surrounding areas. There could also be carriers that cover out and back and service the regional runs.

In our expediting business, planning and identify the countermeasures for "what if," must be laid out clearly. For a starter, have at least 6 months of savings to cover personal bills and business expenses. In addition, would also need a chunk of money to cover the unexpected and/or emergency expenses. You would want to come into this business well prepared to be able to tolerate the ups and downs and avoid stress as much as possible.

But...if you really have to head east, from personal experience and in my opinion only, it would be Memphis. I would find a carrier that does out and back first, just to keep moving.

Best of luck !

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if your in Seattle, check ceva log, there out by the airport some where

Reactions: ucfd608

IBXPUHDYTIN'

New Recruit
Researching
When I started driving in 97 logs were still "swindle sheets" and the fine was $25.00. Then around 99-00 it went to $100.00 still no huge deal.Then 9/11 fixed it for everybody and in 2004 I got hit for $400.00 and I knew I would never even think of logging again, parked truck went back to Firestone. Flash forward 13 years and now I want to go back out on the road see what this expediting thing is all about. I am really not on fire about driving in rain and snow of the PNW or the mean Cali cops (still feel the sting of a $75.00 ticket for being in the MIDDLE LANE near Turlock). Would much rather fight the snow in New Brunswick than the Evil Empire of California. I am not tied anywhere I just figured I would get past a mail box in Memphis every now and again...

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
have van will travel just roll with the freight from the carrier you lease on with. learn the hotspots they work out of and enjoy your travels.