O.O.I.D.A. Whose side are they realy on?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read This.

Administrator Ferro gets a fresh perspective on trucking during ride-along

Remember way back in 2008 when Mr. Obama appointed Ann Ferro ? Sorry guys I couldn't find the article on line. I'm sure I have the copy some where in my house maybe I can get it to scan and upload.
Anyway, she wasn't even in power yet and OOIDA was just giggly gooey about her past record with the Maryland Motor Truck Association and as administrator of the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration.

Once again OOIDA is painting Ann Ferro in a positive light. Don't get me wrong, this is not against Ann Ferro personal, I just don't agree with allot of the changes under her tenure. I know, I'm not alone and, Just like Mr. Obama I would sit down with her and have a with her.
Until her two day road trip she had no actual tucking experience as the same with almost if not everyone else in the F.M.C.S.A. At the very least she should have spent at least one month on the road to get the real deal, not just two days and one overnight if for anything to see how the restart restriction is more harmful than good, find out how the six to twelve hour detention at a loading dock really puts the driver in a situation, and the attitude too many DOT inspectors tend to have with drivers in addition to the hassle and hazards we face.

I will give her some street credit for having the guts to do the ride along and get a taste and I hope this dose wake her up.

I would like to see her mandate everyone who works for the FMCSA 1 get a CDL, and do a 36 - 60 day ride along. Maybe we will finally see an F.M.C.S.A. that is safety based.

Bob Wolf.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Their jobs are to dream stuff up to constantly justify their existence. Really nothing more than that.
Short of her small trip, she has very little working knowledge of what really goes on in the trucking industry. If she did, we wouldn't have the total foolishness coming out of that department.
I will say she is likely ill advised by people working for her as they have a limited background in transportation as well. OOIDA just isn't big enough to sway a political machine so they likely figure they get more cooperation by being nice verses being a PITA.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I worked with Leo and his brother for ten years.
Pretty smart, level headed guy. Hard worker.
I'm sure he gave her some things to think about.
Still, she has to play the game in DC. So even if she learned much, I don't expect anything positive to come from the ride-along.
Can't really blame OOIDA from trying.
Better than NOT trying.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I worked with Leo and his brother for ten years.
Pretty smart, level headed guy. Hard worker.
I'm sure he gave her some things to think about.
Still, she has to play the game in DC. So even if she learned much, I don't expect anything positive to come from the ride-along.
Can't really blame OOIDA from trying.
Better than NOT trying.

True. All we can judge them on is "what have you done lately"? And it sure isn't much.
In fact at this point, they have done more damage than good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So even if she learned much, I don't expect anything positive to come from the ride-along.
I expect to see a rule change mandating toilets and running water in all sleepers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He does have a very nice truck.
When he was a truck hauler he had a factory sleeper like everybody else.
Had to be weight/ length conscious back in those days.,

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
They were all for the knee jerk anti-competitive $75K broker bond.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know what it costs I'm not a broker. I have heard of small trucking operations who used to broker out excess that threw in the towel on brokerage. Any unnecessary regulation that increases costs is a useless burden on everyone that decreases competition and concentrates more freight into the hands of a few big players. Due diligence is the carrier's responsibility. A $75K bond is not going to make things any different for a carrier than a $10K one if they don't practice it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
$75K bond is better than a $10K bond to the guys that post claims over the $10k limit.
At one time we had a major shipper walk away owing us $34,000. That's after we've done the work, paid the fuel and drivers. Back in the 70's when $34,000 was a lot of money.

Why does anybody owe anyone easy entry to business ? Should they make it easier to start an airline or railroad ?
Where would expediting be if it took $20,000 cash or credit plus a vehicle to put a guy in a van ?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's already there. Credit is cheap and easy, too easy. The hurdles ought to be higher to keep folks who have no real skin in the game IMO.

$75,000 is nothing to some of these brokerages they could do that much business before lunch.

Why does anyone doing business expect the government to come to their rescue when they don't practice good common sense due diligence?

Last edited: