NY's overpass Height signs

babs3361

Expert Expediter
We ran into a driver who was picking up in Buffalo NY. He said to us that he had to go around several blocks due to 12'6" bridge clearance. I informed him that NY caculates bridge height from center of hub which would make the actual height 13'6". He argued with me and since NY is no longer on our map, it wasn't worth arguing. I tried looking on NYDOT web sight but couldn't find where the information was. Oh by the way they had been driving for 3 months and were from NY. any advice on what is correct and were i can find the info would be appreciated

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I Believe they Measure from the Curb...Not Postive on that.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Form all my years experience---as far as I can tell NY height signs gives fairly exact ground clearance. In other words 12'6 is actually 12'6 from the ground to shall we say mass destruction.---BUT PLEASE BE ADVISED!!!--- to heck with NY---WORRY ABOUT CHICAGO!!!
Chicago is the home of the low underpass and in my opinion is an accident looking for a place to happen!!! OBSERVE the SIGNS
Pappy
37 year vet T/T driver
:) :) :)

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Chicago is not a problem hubby ran rail there for 13 and a half years. He knows all of the coffee and diners where we can stop overnight. Please don't tell dispatch we don't want to go there all the time. He has never been happier then now driving truck and doesn't care if he ever goes back to Chicago.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Lets see here. running the rails is somewhat different than driving a truck. Could it be that truck drivers have to look out for the low under passes that were built for the people who run the rails???
Now I'm confused! See what you did to me BABS--HA HA:
Pappy:7 :7 :7

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Now thats a different story all together. Personally, if I were in Chicago, I would prefferr to drive the train
Pappy:)

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
NY what a joke look for the higest spot on the ground and the lowest spot on the overhead and thats how they figger the hight 50% of the time get your self a long ant and go real slow and you wil find out that most you can fit under

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in buffalo ny there are a couple of over pass that are right on the mark there 12,6" there on one of side streets that go near one of auto plants as i remeber, when i drove for fedexcc they were in dir as a reminder and they were the expection to rule in new york state
as i came down the street had to detour around the area just alittle bit of problem

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If the sign says anything close to 13'6" we don't trust it. Of course after we've been through an area and "know" that the sign might be incorrect that's a different story. What's amazing to me is how many drivers don't "see" the signs. How the heck does a driver peel off the top of a tractor/trailer? When I see a bridge that even looks a little low, it appears in the windshield as if you have to duck down in the seat to get under it :)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was stopped on the shoulder pondering my next move because the sign said "!2 ft 6" clearance". My height was 12`8". Luckily another Roberts Express truck came along and stopped. He was a local resident.

He explained that in NY bridge heights in NY are actually a foot higher unless the sign says "EXACT".

I followed him under the bridge,and found him to be right. I still get the willies whenever running into this situation. Especially in NYC.

Deville

Not a Member
Its Amazing that NYC has not changed the sings on the BQE yet. I've seen Trucks @ 14ft ht go under those bridges. It was fine.