NYC

sandqueen

Expert Expediter
From what I hear, NYC is a place that a truck driver does not want to deliver to. Myself and my husband plan on driving a straight truck w/22 foot trailer starting in Februaury, what are the worst things about having to go to NYC ? tolls, traffic etc..?? I've always heard to refuse a load to NYC if possible...

sandqueen

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Sandqueen:
We will not send a truck into NYC, period.
Traffic, tolls, one way streets, foreign taxi drivers,you name the delay and it exist in NYC.
Many shipments require delivery to buildings without docks, requiring a driver to leave the truck unattended at the curb. In the late 80's one of our trucks became the "canvas" for a graffiti artist. That was our last trip to the big apple.
Others will tell you that they go there and the additional revenue is worth their time, it's a decision you will have to make on your own.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One thing to watch out for is that certain streets have length limits.I believe some only allow a maximum of 35 feet,also lots of low clearances. I agree with Tom,I avoid the area unless big bucks are involved.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I would not single out a city or area to avoid hauling freight in or out of. You will find this to be a "bad business practice" one that dispatch will soon recognize as being uncooperative. It's up to you of course as a business owner. Give it deep thought and decide your options based on revenue and cash flow. I certainly would'nt work for 2 weeks in the city, but if a load needed covered with a follow up load that was very desirable, I'd grab that NYC load in a heart beat. A 22 foot straight truck is much easier to maneuver than a tractor trailer with a 53 foot trailer. Lets be responsible about giving customer service to our limited freight base. Good luck and have fun while you visit one of the most exciting cities in america!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I would not single out a city or area to avoid hauling
>freight in or out of. You will find this to be a "bad
>business practice" one that dispatch will soon recognize as
>being uncooperative. It's up to you of course as a business
>owner. Give it deep thought and decide your options based on
>revenue and cash flow. I certainly would'nt work for 2 weeks
>in the city, but if a load needed covered with a follow up
>load that was very desirable, I'd grab that NYC load in a
>heart beat. Good luck and have fun while you visit one of the most exciting cities in america!

NYC and Chicago are both places that if I never see them again in a truck it won't be too soon. Those have to be the worst places east of the Rockies one can wind up. I guess if being in a crime capital is exciting then NYC is definitely one of the most exciting cities. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't mind Chicago, only because I grew up there and know my way around well. As a solo driver, I will go to the bouroughs of NYC, but not into NYC itself (Manhattan.) This is for the reason Tom mentioned, I won't leave my truck unattended there, not even for a second. As a team that wouldn't be a problem with someone to attend and ride shotgun, but I tried it many times solo and it just didn't work for me. None of the carriers I have ran for have forced NYC, or or even minded I don't do it. They understand, and it is noted on my dispatch sheet no Manhattan. I do get a $75 toll pay to go to the bouroughs. Now I have to work for some additional pay around Chicago, with IL tripling the toll for my single axle straight truck there!
-Weave-

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One of the things that makes me nuts in NYC, (and all of NY state),is the low overhead signs.If I understand correctly they are posted 12"less than actuall. Unless the sign is market "Exact Height".
Proceding with a 12`8" truck under a posted 12`3"is something else.I have waited for a local semi to go ahead,just to make sure I am right.

sandqueen

Expert Expediter
Thanks to everyone's responses and anyone else who posts....
The responses were pretty much what I suspected....
I would hate to have to turn down a load the first week of being employed, so I guess I'll just decide what to do when or if that situation ever arises.....Someone told me that at least in NYC that while the traffic is bumper to bumper, the speed will only be 35 mph as opposed to Chicago being bumper to bumper but going at 65 mph....:eek:

sandqueen

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
Manhattan is an interesting place to drive for sure. I've driven a 45ft tour bus there a few times (once on a Saturday night in the theatre district where nobody, especially pedestrians, was paying any attention to traffic signals). Although it's not a city that's suited for large vehicles, you can get around okay as long as you are careful. It is easy to get stuck on narrow streets where delivery vehicles may be sitting. Sometimes you have to be determined and just inch your way through the traffic and crowds. Some of the main avenues have three or four lanes in one direction and overall, traffic does move smoothly...unless there's a parade. Even then, I've noticed the traffic police stopping a parade to allow traffic to cross. You have to be careful with parking though. Sometimes the traffic police will be very picky...sometimes not. Personally, I don't plan to drive another big commercial vehicle back to Manhattan, but I'd really feel comfortable driving a car there now.

Chuck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless the revenue is considerable, I would clearly avoid a delivery into the city. Driving through on the freeways is not too bad depending on time of day. Do consider there are numerous and expensive tolls through the tri-state area.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Keep in mind also that you are allowed on Expressways,you are not allowed on Parkways.Example is I 678 going into JFK Airport,this is also known as the Van Wick expressway,you are allowed on that. You are allowed on the Long Island Expressway but not on the Grand Central Parkway.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
sandqueen,the key to driving in NYC is to be prepared. what i mean by that is know the routes that you will be taking,as well as know the major roads in the area that you will going to.there are many times that for whatever reason that may not be able to go the way that you planned, and knowing alternative routes will help you to deal will unplanned detours.as far as the low clearances are concerned, i was told by one of our company drivers who lives in NYC that if the clearance sign is yellow that you do have some leeway there. but if the sign is white,that you had better believe it.also like some of the others have said, the pay should be considerally better to offset the tolls.we really don't have any problem with going into the city, but haved turned loads there because of known problems.(i.e. they wanted us to go in on new years eve once,and we didn't think that was a good idea. we watched the news that night of the massive traffic jams caused by police opening and closing certain bridges and tunnels in the manhatten area.)DD.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>the tolls there seem to be outrageous!!!:'( :(

Sandqueen, et al

Once again, let me promote EZ Pass or those other systems with reciprocity agreement with them. (I use Massachusetts' FastLane)

Some recent toll increases were not applied to EZ Pass users. So, the money saved as well as the time saved is money in your pocket.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I'll ditto Terry on this one. EZ Pass is a must if you are going to work in the east. Works on nearly every toll road from VA to Mass.

And yes SandQueen, tolls into/out of NYC are silly. Cost me nearly $30 to go to Long Island and back from DC last week in a van.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
SandQ: While you're at it, Look into IPass (1-800-UCI-PASS) if you travel Illinois. It'll save you an hour to travel between Milwaukee and Gary during the rush hour in Chicago.

Terry

trump

Expert Expediter
I have not been to NY yet and would like to know if vans are allowed on the parkways. Also is there anything else I should know.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
EZ-Pass will be accepted in Illinois shortly
<http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page_pageid=53,34586,53_34746:53_49810:53_82431&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL>

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
The last time I went to Long Island, I drove on the Parkways w/o incident. The receiving supervisor at the place I delivered, told me to stay off, since I had comm plates on my cargo van. I had an NYPD car follow me for a mile or so, but he went by and waved as he passed.