NY tolls

TeaDance

Active Expediter
Can anyone tell me the least expensive way to go from I-78E to JFK airport in a 40' straight-truck. I usually cross the Verizonal bridge however, it's toooooooo expensive these days :confused:

Thanks & drive safe

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Least expensive way is to not go at all:) save in tolls-loose in fuel. one does not get around New England without paying the piper-time you are done the piper has played a full song with a chorus and marching band . make sure the load pays good-sometimes it's an all day event getting in and out

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I agree. Avoid it unless it pays really, really good.
Last time we went to JFK it took 4 hours to get back to New Jersey.
If I were in charge of the roads and bridges in the northeast I would be too embarrassed of the road conditions to charge a toll.
It seems to me that if you have to pay extra to drive on it the people in charge could at least maintain it.
Then again, I'm not a corrupt politician, so what do I know.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Least expensive way is to not go at all:) save in tolls-loose in fuel.
Help me out in understanding this a little bit. Please explain, as you would to a child, how not going at all will actually get you from I-78 to JFK. I'm very curious about this concept, about how you can not go somewhere, and yet still, somehow, get there.

This isn't a "what's cheaper, going or not going?" question, it's a "what's the cheapest way to go?" question.

And the answer is, as expensive as the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is to cross, it's still cheaper overall to go that way.

Q: I'm having a problem with the sound settings on my PC. What settings do I need to change?

SAA: Get a Mac. <snort>

-------------------------------------------------
It's good that in the beginning we know how it will end. Therefore we will never take the journey. And that is what makes us who we are. It's cheaper, too.
--------------------------------------------------

60MPH

Expert Expediter
With that size of a unit you are limited to the Lincoln tunnel $$$ Goethals/Verrazano $$$ Outerbridge $$$ Also the G.W., Troggs neck, and Whitestone which are ALL out of the way and $$$. No free ride to JFK.

You can use the Holland tunnel IF you have less than 4 axles and no taller than 12' 6" and no wider than 96" of course it cost $$$ also.

Using the Lincoln and Holland tunnels you would go across town and use the Queens midtown tunnel as your exit, which turns into 495 (L.I.E.). NOT ADVISED UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE THE BIG LIGHTS OF THE CITY!!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many people don't realize it's cheaper to go through the tunnels and cross some of the bridges (Lincoln & Holland tunnels, the George Washington, Bayonne & Goethals bridges, and the Outerbridge Crossing) between midnight and 6AM Sun-Thu, and in that case, with reduced traffic, it can be cheaper to go through the Holland Tunnel. But at all other hours, between the higher Tunnel toll and the increased fuel usage because of traffic, and time, it ends up being cheaper to use the Verrazano-Narrows. And during Peak Times, it's way cheaper to avoid the tunnels.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Help me out in understanding this a little bit. Please explain, as you would to a child, how not going at all will actually get you from I-78 to JFK. I'm very curious about this concept, about how you can not go somewhere, and yet still, somehow, get there.
<snort>

-------------------------------------------------
It's good that in the beginning we know how it will end. Therefore we will never take the journey. And that is what makes us who we are. It's cheaper, too.
--------------------------------------------------

Its magic. You know....pixie dust.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Einstein.gif

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Outer bridge or Gothels,you only pay going in.Verizanos you pay dbl going out.If you have time,on your way out,cross the Manhattan bridge,and go up thru Manhatten,cross the GW its free that way going out,can do in a ST,cant do that with a TT

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Can anyone tell me the least expensive way to go from I-78E to JFK airport in a 40' straight-truck. I usually cross the Verizonal bridge however, it's toooooooo expensive these days :confused:

Thanks & drive safe
there is no charge for the Verizanos going into NY

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Relativistic pixie dust. Got it.

Now if I can just get the Uncertainty Principle to coalesce with the pixie dust and gravity I'll have my Grand Unified Theory, and thus my transporter will work properly. Rats, where's my flyswatter?

Turtlefly.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Outer bridge or Gothels,you only pay going in.Verizanos you pay dbl going out.If you have time,on your way out,cross the Manhattan bridge,and go up thru Manhatten,cross the GW its free that way going out,can do in a ST,cant do that with a TT

Depending on where I have to go I cross Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Williamsburg bridges and come out one of the tunnels (usually Holland) in to Jersey (free outbound) or cruise up the FDR :eek: if I need to head up town. This is in a VAN or course.

Deville

Not a Member
No commercial traffic is premitted to use the Holland tunnel going into the city, you can use it going out & that's free.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
No commercial traffic is premitted to use the Holland tunnel going into the city, you can use it going out & that's free.

From PANYNJ site:

Commercial Vehicles
Commercial vehicles in classes 4, 5 and 6 (four-, five- and six-axle trucks) are prohibited from using the Holland Tunnel. Please use the Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge instead.
Commercial vehicles in classes 1, 2 and 3 (two- and three-axle single-unit trucks) may use the Holland Tunnel in either direction.
Tractor-trailers and trucks in classes 4, 5 and 6 (four-, five- and six-axle trucks) are prohibited from using the tunnel in either direction at all times.
Trailers and towed vehicles are prohibited from using the tunnel in either direction at all times.
Hazardous Materials Prohibited. Rare exceptions listed in the Red Book.
Height Limit 12 feet, 6 inches
Width Limit 8 feet (six inches smaller than the standard)
Time of Day Restrictions None

Deville

Not a Member
From PANYNJ site:

Commercial Vehicles
Commercial vehicles in classes 4, 5 and 6 (four-, five- and six-axle trucks) are prohibited from using the Holland Tunnel. Please use the Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge instead.
Commercial vehicles in classes 1, 2 and 3 (two- and three-axle single-unit trucks) may use the Holland Tunnel in either direction.
Tractor-trailers and trucks in classes 4, 5 and 6 (four-, five- and six-axle trucks) are prohibited from using the tunnel in either direction at all times.
Trailers and towed vehicles are prohibited from using the tunnel in either direction at all times.
Hazardous Materials Prohibited. Rare exceptions listed in the Red Book.
Height Limit 12 feet, 6 inches
Width Limit 8 feet (six inches smaller than the standard)
Time of Day Restrictions None

I wonder when that went to affect. Last time I tired to take my van though the Holland a couple of years ago I was shooed away & there were signs all over that said NO COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I wonder when that went to affect. Last time I tired to take my van though the Holland a couple of years ago I was shooed away & there were signs all over that said NO COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC.

They change it every so often.:rolleyes: I know back in 2010 I looked it up and it said class 1,2,3 outbound only and it had time of day restrictions to. The rules I posted earlier are the current rules. Its NYC it may change next week :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I used the tunnel about 4 years ago and had no problems...weird.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Depending on where I have to go I cross Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Williamsburg bridges and come out one of the tunnels (usually Holland) in to Jersey (free outbound) or cruise up the FDR :eek: if I need to head up town. This is in a VAN or course.

I use to run up thru Manhatten leaving JFK to skip the tolls,then they put in the size rule in Manhatten,cant go that way in TT anymore