NTSB Says Straight-Truck Safety Needs More Attention

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Seems like things could be simplified if everyone hauling freight for hire from the smallest van to the biggest rig had to have a CDL AND everyone over 10,000 whether for hire or not. You see a lot of crazy stuff with rental trucks and RV's that are only exempt because of not for hire, that same size bus based RV would require a CDL if carrying people, doesn't seem to make much sense.

TS

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Dot doesn't give a hoot about rental trucks. One of the first times I drove one unsure I went through the scale. The guy inside came on the speaker and asked if I needed something then said I did not need to stop at scales. 24 ft truck pulling a car trailer with a pickup on it.

Clearly shows one who has not read the article yet..............

Either that......or his lower half puckered up because someone had the Balls to AGREE with me on something here on their board. :)

No Worries Bob.........I've gotten used to it...................:p

Article was Published by the NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD..........Not DOT....FMSCA........FBI...........The Goober Group........Etc.

Quote from article:

It defines single-unit trucks as large trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating over 10,000 pounds with non-detachable cargo units and have all axles attached to a single frame.

“Crashes involving single-unit trucks resulted in about 1,800 deaths each year during 2005-2009 and also caused thousands of injuries,” said NTSB Chairman Deborah A. P. Hersman. “These trucks are ubiquitous in our communities, yet they are exempted from many safety rules. We must do better for our citizens.”

This Group made NO reference as to whether they separated CMV's and Privately Owned Vehicles - IE - A Corporate Owned Rental Truck - U-Haul........when doing this study.

My Belief......My Opinion............and probably a Hard Cold Fact...........They Did Not.....and as I said last time...........They have Lumped "Professional" Drivers in with the same Goobers who are loading 12,000 lbs of Household Goods in a 28ft U-Haul that was designed to haul 4,000 lbs and causing havoc on the roadways.

I'd really like to see the Breakdown of this Study in relations to CMV vs Rental Trucks...........Know what I mean.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Either that......or his lower half puckered up because someone had the Balls to AGREE with me on something here on their board. :)

Article was Published by the NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD..........Not DOT....FMSCA........FBI...........The Goober Group........Etc.

Quote from article:

This Group made NO reference as to whether they separated CMV's and Privately Owned Vehicles - IE - A Corporate Owned Rental Truck - U-Haul........when doing this study.

My Belief......My Opinion............and probably a Hard Cold Fact...........They Did Not.....and as I said last time...........They have Lumped "Professional" Drivers in with the same Goobers who are loading 12,000 lbs of Household Goods in a 28ft U-Haul that was designed to haul 4,000 lbs and causing havoc on the roadways.

I'd really like to see the Breakdown of this Study in relations to CMV vs Rental Trucks...........Know what I mean.

I was referring to dot officers who work the scales and such. I drive those 24 foot trucks for 15 years never stopped at a scale after that and never once pulled over by dot or any cop for that matter.

I'm sorry the other kids picked on you in school

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see rental trucks pulled over more since the Oklahoma City bombing.

Makes sense. But I just never experienced it and was driving them during that time. I agree they probably should be checked much more. Do we need to hurt yet another industry by requiring someone moving their sister on the weekend I don't think we do our econemy is already screwed up enough.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Darn Straight truckers there dangerous and should be forced to undergo rigorous popcorn eating skills testing, I think thats whats been happeneing to me lately, I cant get down a Highway without CAN WE SEE YOUR PAPERS...Class D Danger to the Open road...They must of sent this paper out to all scalehouses and now when they see a Straight Truck they assume were BAD BAD MEN...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee, for somone who DOT has no intrest in for some reason the Creeper Cops Pull me over and look at my truck a couple times a year. As well as UCR registration and MC#.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee, for somone who DOT has no intrest in for some reason the Creeper Cops Pull me over and look at my truck a couple times a year. As well as UCR registration and MC#.

Are you driving a rental truck. It was a while ago for me so it could have changed everything does.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My misunderstanding on my response to your post. Didnt realize you were specific to only rental units. The one I drive daily is mine and labled.
But even if a rental you are using a vehical over 10,000 lbs to make money you are required to at least pull into the scale and are subject to inspection. I have been inspected once in a yellow truck.

Its one of those things that dosent get enforced unless there is a wreck.

If Roger Penske has his way this will never see the light of day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

We're talking about issues, and you just can't help yourself can you? You just have to make it personal and confrontational. What's wrong with you? This isn't the Soapbox. Stop it. Just stop it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the economy has created a lot of scrap/crap out on the road...a lot of straights are really showing their age...and the local fellows driving them like Mad Maxx does not help the overall opinion....so don't get your shorts in a knot....there ARE unsafe straight drivers and a lot of them..of the local variety.....IMO

nunnsexpress

Seasoned Expediter
A CDL for truck over 10,000 lbs., that mean that anybody with a ford super duty truck which is over 10,001 lbs. is required to have a CDL. just think of the money the state make off this rule making.
not only them but the insurance company's can charge higher rate. remember you commercial truck now.
I think they should take it one more step. Have every CDL expire in two years have every driver take a written and road test.. think of the money state would make off that. it would weed out bad drivers as well. A CDL does not make a good driver, only time on the road make you experienced, and you don't need a big rig to have it.

I been in this business for over 45 years, and using ford, Chevy, Isuzu box trucks all over 10,001 lbs. and have to comply with DOT reg. med card, stop at weight stations, heavy duty inspections, commercial insurance the list goes on. asking me to have all my drivers to have a CDL
does nothing for on road safety. just add more expense to my bottom line, and more money to the states.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the economy has created a lot of scrap/crap out on the road....there ARE unsafe straight drivers and a lot of them..of the local variety.....IMO

Are these local trucks inspected? States that don't inspect cars may not inspect local trucks either, at least below a given GVW.

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are these local trucks inspected? States that don't inspect cars may not inspect local trucks either, at least below a given GVW.

your kidding me?....no random stops if your car appears unsafe?....blowing smoke and all that?....

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
your kidding me?....no random stops if your car appears unsafe?....blowing smoke and all that?....

IDK how often cars get stopped for obvious safety issues (major ones, not burned-out taillights); where I live, annual inspections are a way of life. PA has fairly strict inspection standards, and IMHO, every state should do the same, cars & trucks alike. That and some strict enforcement of common-sense driving laws would go a long way towards improving safety out here on the roads.