NRA calls for Armed Police and/or Armed Guards in all Schools

bobwg

Expert Expediter
NRA.org The NRA is calling for armed police and/or armed guards in every school in the country. THe NRA notes that we have armed police/guards to protect the President, Congress, Courts, airports,train stations, banks, sports stadiums, office buildings, etc. Every School in this country should have available armed police or guards . THe NRA said this could be done with the help of retired police officers, retired military, etc The full text of the NRA press announcement can be found on their web site

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I agree with NRA but this ain't the first time. I think that is what makes school easy targets lately. Everyone know where armed guards are so they are less likely to strike those areas.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Make sense to me . Armed guards are everywhere else why not in schools to protect our children and teachers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canadian Corps of Commissionaires

The Canadian Corps was formed for the same purpose in 1925 with the opening of offices in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. A national organization was realized by 1950 with the opening of the St. John's Newfoundland office. In 1982, the Canadian Corps had grown to more than 10,000 employees, which virtually doubled the complement of its British parent.

To meet its growing demands for personnel after 9/11, Commissionaires began acceptance of civilians. While in today's organization not all Commissionaires are veterans of Canada's armed forces or RCMP service, the organization's mandate still is to provide meaningful employment to veterans. A significant proportion of their current members are veterans and the Corps hires about 1,200 veterans every year. Today, Commissionaires employs over 19,000 people with offices operating in all ten provinces and three territories.

Members of the Corps are often used as trained security guards in major companies and other organizations. The main role of a Commissionaire is the protection of people, property and information. Commissionaires are found in many Federal establishments across Canada guarding everything from museum pieces to live ammunition and government files.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Canadian Corps of Commissionaires

The Canadian Corps was formed for the same purpose in 1925 with the opening of offices in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. A national organization was realized by 1950 with the opening of the St. John's Newfoundland office. In 1982, the Canadian Corps had grown to more than 10,000 employees, which virtually doubled the complement of its British parent.

To meet its growing demands for personnel after 9/11, Commissionaires began acceptance of civilians. While in today's organization not all Commissionaires are veterans of Canada's armed forces or RCMP service, the organization's mandate still is to provide meaningful employment to veterans. A significant proportion of their current members are veterans and the Corps hires about 1,200 veterans every year. Today, Commissionaires employs over 19,000 people with offices operating in all ten provinces and three territories.

Members of the Corps are often used as trained security guards in major companies and other organizations. The main role of a Commissionaire is the protection of people, property and information. Commissionaires are found in many Federal establishments across Canada guarding everything from museum pieces to live ammunition and government files.

The NRA is proposing that it be a volunteer force. The program you mention sounds to be a taxpayor paid job program for Vets? Last thing we need is another Government program here.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
From the NRA:

"Politicians pass laws for gun-free school zones, they issue press releases bragging about them,” LaPierre said. “And, in doing so, they tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk. How have our nation’s priorities gotten so far out of order?”

Makes perfect sense. He also placed blame on the video and film industries for the suggestive graphic violence. They will no doubt issue a statement tomorrow sayin how wrong he is. :rolleyes:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
From the NRA:

Makes perfect sense. He also placed blame on the video and film industries for the suggestive graphic violence. They will no doubt issue a statement tomorrow sayin how wrong he is. :rolleyes:

He does have a point though. About both the gun free zones and the movies and video games. Don't believe gun crimes were as bad when Mario was about the most hard core video game you could play. Play cod or any of those games and it could lead you to thinking you can get away with murder in real life.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
It's run as a company on its own...

Okay. So they are similar to our private security firms who also hire many retired military and police and would charge the school for the service.
Got it.
It will be interesting to see how a volunteer system would work here if this becomes an accepted strategy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay. So they are similar to our private security firms who also hire many retired military and police and would charge the school for the service.
Got it.
It will be interesting to see how a volunteer system would work here if this becomes an accepted strategy.

Thing is the renta cop comes with better gun skills usually.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the NRA:

There is a problem with the graphic violence in the video games and movies. I'm not for censorship by the government, but those industries need to tone it down a lot. Wonder if liberal Hollywood will put their money where their mouth is and clean up their movies? My guess is they are only anti capitalists when it is other peoples money. I thought La Pierre talked bluntly about the violence and offered concrete and helpful advice.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, the citizen with the CHL and proper training and regular practice will shoot better than the majority of law enforcement officers much less security guards.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I know I'll regret this, but here goes.

I don't see much of anything proposed yet that would work for anything more than a knee-jerk, feel good solution. I will say that I believe a large portion of the problem comes from the video games. Movies...maybe...somewhat, but the video games put the person in control of what is happening and they are getting more and more realistic everyday. These kids are getting a daily dose of violence and destruction fed to them in their entertainment.

I have actually witnessed in a neighbor's kid. It was obvious then and when I heard of the brutal assault this kid unleashed on those Newtown kids, I could envision my neighor's kid doing the same thing if he ever snapped. Thankfully, they did medicate my neighbor's kid...all through his teenage years (yeah LOS, I didn't believe in it either 10 years ago). He hated every minute of it too. You could see it, over time, start to calm him down. He was finally able to get off the medication about the time he graduated high school. He is a completely different person now. He has grown into a fine young man so far. Will he ever revert back? I have no idea, but I have witnessed that it worked so far.

I don't support gun control, but I personally don't need an AR-15 to protect my home either. My problem with proposing guards at school is that I don't think you can do it effectively. Most schools have several, separated buildings. You would have to have a guard in each building and then someone could easily ambush the kids between classes as they walk between buildings, or at recess in the lower grades (that's what happened here in Jonesboro, AR several years ago. My thought about an armed guard also is that just gives them a first target. Ambush the guard, take him out, then continue on....doesn't solve a thing.

So, if guards can't stop it and gun control can't stop it, what is the answer? I think they have to quit training kids to murder people. When the video games stop training them, they stop being so lethally accurate in how they carry out these acts. That won't solve the mental problems, but at least without the video games, they aren't being trained and encouraged to act out their rage.

I also believe that the lack of discipline in schools and at home is a part of all this. A kid is going to push whatever boundaries you set for them. We set very few boundaries these days. Breaking the rules means nothing to these kids. Over a period of time, as the boundaries of what they are capable of doing without any real disciplinary action get pushed farther and farther away, the actions get more and more violent. If you even raised your voice to a teacher when I was in school, your butt would get lit up enough that you would think twice about it next time.

I personally think that what is happening today is nothing more and nothing less than a culmination of the lack of discipline and lack of parenting that has been brought about in the last 20 years. Our generation has failed these kids, not by giving them too little, but by giving them too much. Some of the things we have given them are nothing more than outright tutorials for inflicting horror.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When 100% of AR type weapons are taking away from the police, the military of the US, and ALL armies of the earth. When 100% of ANY weapons are removed from scum sucking, drug smoking criminals, like Obama, I will give up mine. The police, military forces, criminals and Obama's of the world are the problem, Not I.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When 100% of AR type weapons are taking away from the police, the military of the US, and ALL armies of the earth, when 100% of ANY weapons are removed from scum sucking, drug smoking criminals, like Obama, I will give up mine. The police, military forces, criminals and Obama's of the world are the problem, Not I. The rest can kiss my grits! :p

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no perfect solution. The best compromise is a program that allows trained, qualified and tested individuals to be armed on school property. The problems with an armed guard at every school include but aren't limited to: the added financial burden to already bankrupt schools and more importantly anyone intent on causing mayhem at the school has only to eliminate one easily identifiable deterrent. In all probability Dylan and Klebold and others of similar intent would have been even more pleased with an opportunity to do what they did plus add in taking out one single triple bonus score target of opportunity to their game. Some of the others who massacre would feel the same way.

Now, in the situation of fully qualified, trained and tested individuals being allowed the option of possessing protection on a school campus, there could be anywhere from a few to several to a dozen or even a couple of dozen authorized individuals. Nobody would know how many individuals are authorized out of the entire campus of individuals. To attack a school someone would have to consider it possible that every adult on the premises is trained and qualified to stop them. They wouldn't be wearing an identifiable uniform following a set schedule and pattern of movement making themselves easily eliminated.

It isn't a perfect solution. It's just the best solution.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't disagree...as a short term, protective strategy. For long term change these kids will be less likely to act like trained assassins when we stop training them to be assassins.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't disagree...as a short term, protective strategy. For long term change these kids will be less likely to act like trained assassins when we stop training them to be assassins.

Training children to be assassins? :confused: Most today are not even taught how to shoot in a positive manner let alone being trained as assassins. I don't understand what you mean.