Not sure if this is the right question here, but..

bsorbe

Seasoned Expediter
I am located in the midwest (southern MN). I am considering starting a small specialized transport company. I want to start with a dually and a gooseneck hauling RV's, Boats, Cars, Motorcycles, etc. I want to also consider offering some expedited freight services to small manufacturers within a 4-5 hr. radius of my home location. I have another business that pays my bills (most of the time), and I want to grow this slowly to 4-5 trucks in next 5 years.

Am I crazy for wanting to get into this area of freight?

How important is it for me to lease with a dispatch company, compared to seeking accounts on my own? I'm a good marketer and salesman by trade.

Would I be better off looking at a top kick or something rather than a dually?

Is what I am referring to, Hot Shot freight or close to it?

Thanks for any help out there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RE: Not sure if this is the right question here, b

The things you expect to haul, and the vehicle to haul them with, would be considered hotshot hauling, which is not the same as expediting. This site will tell you everything about expediting, and hotshothauling.com will tell you all about that. I don't believe you can combine the two with one vehicle, but good luck, whichever you choose. If you'd like more info on expediting, check out the Expediter's Expo - details on the general forum. :)

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

I keep an eye on the hotshothauling.com site . More and more contractors are parking their trucks . RV's and boats don't pay enough to compensate for the deadhead you run into and there is always too much fresh meat for the transport companies to take advantage of . A few hotshotters make it servicing oilfield rigs in TX or line up dedicated work with manufacturers of equipment like large air conditioning units . Things will only get worse as truck prices go up due to new emission requirements . I'm talking increases in thousands of dollars .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

The latest info from different sources is that the new 07's after Jan will be 5 to $7,500 more. Additionally, they will require service to the dpf system which at MATS they are saying 1,000 to 1,500 each time. Ouch!

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator