Not for everybody but.....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The Petro in Avoca, PA at exit 178B has a tattoo shop in it. Jay did a flower tattoo on my wife's leg and did a fantastic job. The prices are reasonable, not the cheapest but far from the most expensive.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Definitely not, they usually last awhile.

Crazy people.. paying somebody to stick needles in them repeatedly.. what is wrong with people nowadays....;)

Heh heh... I resemble that remark! Um.. pic? I always like to see cool art.

Dale

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Crazy people.. paying somebody to stick needles in them repeatedly.. what is wrong with people nowadays....;)

Heh heh... I resemble that remark! Um.. pic? I always like to see cool art.

Dale

Cheap will usually get a tattoo but investing a little more can get a piece of art on the canvas God gave us.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I really don't think I need to actually type out Leviticus 19:28, do I? :rolleyes:

It's simple, plain, straightforward and unambiguous. And every justification used to get around Leviticus 19:28 falls short. Every one of them, because they're all logical fallacies.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I really don't think I need to actually type out Leviticus 19:28, do I? :rolleyes:

It's simple, plain, straightforward and unambiguous. And every justification used to get around Leviticus 19:28 falls short. Every one of them, because they're all logical fallacies.

It doesn't apply to this being that Leviticus is the Old Testament and the verse was referencing cutting or marking yourself for the dead.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you really wanna go there? Really? Okie...

So, anything in the Old Testament can simply be ignored? Got it. I don't think that's a road you want to go down, tho. There are plenty of things which are only forbidden in the Old Testament which are not mentioned in the New Testament. Does that mean they're all OK, then? You know, like prostituting your daughter, human sacrifice, bestiality, things like that.

And no, that verse didn't reference cutting or marking yourself for the dead. You can't just rewrite a sentence like that to mean whatever you want. It referenced cutting yourself for the dead, nor marking yourself. <--- period.

It means you can't do either. "Cutting yourself for the dead", and "marking yourself" are two separate ideas, connected only by the command to do neither. If it was "and" instead of "nor" you'd have the argument, but it's "nor".

I[FONT=Arial, helvetica]s it OK to practice satanic bloodletting, self mutilation or cutting of the flesh as long as only for the living and it’s not for the dead? Cuz that's the argument you've just made. ;)

[/FONT]Both cutting and tattooing were done by the heathens, and so God forbade His people from doing either.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]Nowhere in he Bible is the human body referenced as being God's canvas that man should be painting. If it's your canvas then you can do whatever you want with it, but if it's God's, then it ain't yours to be messin' with. It's graffiti upon the work of God.

[/FONT]Like I said, every one of them. Logical fallacies.

Better to flatly state you prefer to pick and choose which parts of the Bible you want to follow, rather than try and justify the picking and choosing.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see no reason to pay for a tatoo. I get all the 'needling' that I need for free in here! :p Besides, I am already as cute as I need to be! Hard to improve on perfection!

"OH Lord it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way"!!! :D

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I see no reason to pay for a tatoo. I get all the 'needling' that I need for free in here! :p Besides, I am already as cute as I need to be! Hard to improve on perfection!

Good one, Layout. Wish we had a "rimshot" icon on here.

Mike

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Do you really wanna go there? Really? Okie...

So, anything in the Old Testament can simply be ignored? Got it. I don't think that's a road you want to go down, tho. There are plenty of things which are only forbidden in the Old Testament which are not mentioned in the New Testament. Does that mean they're all OK, then? You know, like prostituting your daughter, human sacrifice, bestiality, things like that.

Hey that is a great argument made on many religious fanatic websites and they use those exact examples. The issue is they are covered by other broader issues like sex before marriage and not killing people throughout the Bible. It is the Old Testament that lays the ground work and should be studied but we were given a New Covenant. It also states cutting our beards and side burns is forbidden but we are not Jewish so it does not apply, again Old vs. New.

And no, that verse didn't reference cutting or marking yourself for the dead. You can't just rewrite a sentence like that to mean whatever you want. It referenced cutting yourself for the dead, nor marking yourself. <--- period.

It means you can't do either. "Cutting yourself for the dead", and "marking yourself" are two separate ideas, connected only by the command to do neither. If it was "and" instead of "nor" you'd have the argument, but it's "nor".

I[FONT=Arial, helvetica]s it OK to practice satanic bloodletting, self mutilation or cutting of the flesh as long as only for the living and it’s not for the dead? Cuz that's the argument you've just made. ;)

There are different translations of the verse. Again you are trying to use examples that while not specifically forbidden are in fact covered by broader subjects.

[/FONT]Both cutting and tattooing were done by the heathens, and so God forbade His people from doing either.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]Nowhere in he Bible is the human body referenced as being God's canvas that man should be painting. If it's your canvas then you can do whatever you want with it, but if it's God's, then it ain't yours to be messin' with. It's graffiti upon the work of God.

God has given us free will to use our body and mind to do with as we want but we need to follow the guidelines laid out or ask for forgiveness when we don't.

[/FONT]Like I said, every one of them. Logical fallacies.

Just your opinion which can also be proven wrong.

Better to flatly state you prefer to pick and choose which parts of the Bible you want to follow, rather than try and justify the picking and choosing.

[FONT=Arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]

I'm not cherry picking I am following what I believe.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It also states cutting our beards and side burns is forbidden but we are not Jewish so it does not apply, again Old vs. New.
Well, not exactly. It doesn't forbid cutting beards and sideburns specifically for Jews, Jews, and only Jews, it forbids cutting them for idolatry and pagan ritual.

There are different translations of the verse. Again you are trying to use examples that while not specifically forbidden are in fact covered by broader subjects.
Now available at Amazon, The New Modern Bible, Convenient Edition.

God has given us free will to use our body and mind to do with as we want but we need to follow the guidelines laid out or ask for forgiveness when we don't.
Doesn't mean you'll get it.

Just your opinion which can also be proven wrong.
Actually, no, logical fallacies are not opinions, they are unambiguous flawed logic. And every argument made in defense of tattoos within the context of the Bible are logical fallacies. They cannot be reconciled.

I'm not cherry picking I am following what I believe.
You're doing both.

I don't have a problem with someone getting tattoos. The problem I have is when they get them based on a foundation of hypocrisy and use things like "God's canvas" as a Biblical justification for getting them when the Bible, in fact, prohibits them in clear and unambiguous language. If you're going to dismiss part of the Old Testament simply because it's not convenient, then you must dismiss it all, otherwise it's hypocritical in the extreme, and you're doing nothing more than picking and choosing the parts you like.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
These laws in the bible were to give guidelines before we had the ten commandments and are not what we are required to follow. Do you know who Carmen is? The Christian singer back in the 90's? He said he always hated tattoos and thought they were wrong because the bible said so. He said someone asked him why. He decided to study and give a real, biblical reason. He said he could not find one that was actually applicable to Todays times. I believe what he said is true. In your heart, I believe god would convict you if it was something you shouldn't do. Some people are in religious positions that having a tattoo could cause someone to question their word. These people would undoubtedly feel it would be wrong to them in their spirit. Someone such as myself is not in this position where I am a religious figure. My tattoo might be an open door for someone to talk to me and accept Christ. Would it be so wrong then? I believe what carmen said. It's not for him, but there is no biblical reason we can't. You really think God is not going to let a guy with long hair and beard into heaven, or that he cant have a heart full of Gods love simply because he chooses to decorate his temple? What about people shoving fast food that kills them in their temple? We could go on and on.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
By the way, since when does God not forgive someone who asks him? God is a merciful God who forgives the people who dont deserve it the most. That's what keeps so many from accepting Jesus in the first place. They believe he can't possibly forgive what they have done....not true at all. He didnt die for nothing.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
First each interprets the way they choose. Second, nobody really knows ,as nobody can "prove" anything, Third, none of us were there when the Old Testament was written, nor when it was transcribed language to language. Fourth, it's a moot point REALLY!
....and lastly on the tattoo issue, I've been tempted many times to get one, but never succumbed. Once I wanted to get a his and hers tattoo for myself and my wife to display. She had the best line ever, when she said "we're not cattle". I still laugh and quote her, and neither of us has ever been tattooed. What I don't like is when the tattoos get a little age and start fading and they look like an ink blot stain on your body. UGLY! A friends daughter, who is very attractive got one of those over the shoulder multicolored tattoos that went down her arm when she was about 20. It looked pretty exotic on her. She used to delight in wearing shoulderless outfits to show off her tattoo. Now she is about 40, still attractive but wears only clothes that cover it up. I saw her in a bathing suit recently, and the tattoo really takes something away from her natural beauty. I understand why she covers her tattoo these days. I didn't have the nerve to ask her about it, as I didn't want to ask her about something she might be uncomfortable with. She's still a very sweet and intelligent young gal.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well, not exactly. It doesn't forbid cutting beards and sideburns specifically for Jews, Jews, and only Jews, it forbids cutting them for idolatry and pagan ritual.

I was referencing Jews as they still use the Old Testament but the verse clearly states not to cut your beard or side burns. Leviticus 19:27 "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Doesn't mean you'll get it.

Yes it does, as long as one truly repeats.

Actually, no, logical fallacies are not opinions, they are unambiguous flawed logic. And every argument made in defense of tattoos within the context of the Bible are logical fallacies. They cannot be reconciled.

I'm saying your statement that it is a logical fallacy is an opinion that I disagree with as I believe the Bible does as well.

You're doing both.

I don't have a problem with someone getting tattoos. The problem I have is when they get them based on a foundation of hypocrisy and use things like "God's canvas" as a Biblical justification for getting them when the Bible, in fact, prohibits them in clear and unambiguous language. If you're going to dismiss part of the Old Testament simply because it's not convenient, then you must dismiss it all, otherwise it's hypocritical in the extreme, and you're doing nothing more than picking and choosing the parts you like.

I'm not doing both, I am following the New Testament the best that I can as a mortal human. You are using your opinion that we need to follow both even though it is stated we should follow the New Testament then saying everyone who doesn't is wrong or cherry picking. This is an article specifically about this subject. http://www.religioustattoos.net/Bible_Support/index.php

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I find it funny that so many people pick out Leviticus 19:28 out of historical context, but ignore the approximately 600 other Jewish laws contained close by....

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I find it funny that people do that with nearly every verse in the Bible, both Testaments.

The thing about picking and choosing parts of the Old Testament you don't like is, if you dismiss one thing in the Old Testament because it's in the Old Testament, then you must dismiss all of it. Every bit of it. And for the same reason. If you do that then the New Testament has some serious problems. And if you don't do that, you're picking and choosing.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I don't agree. You really have to look at the context each one was written in. It's looking at the 600 and some very specific laws that were written only for the Jews, or are you looking at the major ones that were mentioned many times. You can get so hung up on those laws, you miss the big picture. Paul's link covered it. We've had this discussion at my church actually. We are under grace, not law.. I'm not a Jew, I can't speak for whether they have to still follow all those. To those who point them out to me, I ask them how many of the Jewish laws they follow? I follow Paul the apostle's advice, I 'work out my faith with fear and trembling".. I'm very careful what I follow and advocate. Am I perfect? Probably not... but I am following the light God has given me to the best of my ability.... and don't get hung up in the theology of interpreting every single law. My heart is clear...

Dale

Sermon over.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Good one, Layout. Wish we had a "rimshot" icon on here.

Mike

rimshot.jpg