North To ALASKA!!

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Hi Expediter Friends!!

I was asked to start a thread about our trip to Alaska in 2003 while we were driving an expediter. Here it goes...

In late August of 2003, we were laid over in Oklahoma, and after the second day, we started getting itchy to roll ANYWHERE!! Even NYC would have worked!!

We got a beep from the Qualcom. It was dispatch. They wanted to know if we wanted to accept a load from Irvine,TX to Anchorage,AK. We thought they made a mistake. Maybe it was AR. or AZ? Certainly NOT ALASKA!! We called, and they told us that is WAS Alaska. We jumped up and down!! Alaska was only a page on the map to us at the time.

We went to pick up the load. It was 1 training simulator that weighed 912 pounds. YEEHAW!! Light weight and BIG MILES!! We loaded and got on our way, after we took our dogs to the vet to make sure their shots were up to date. We had to go through Canada.

We stopped at Wally(Wal-Mart,Wally World, or what ever you call it) and stocked up on groceries and water. We also bought heavy jackets, winter boots and gloves because we had NO IDEA what the weather would bring. We spent over $500, but our cabinets and cubbies were STUFFED with food, and our side boxes were sloshing with big jugs of water.

We wound our way to Blaine, WA and the border crossing. It took about 3 hours, but we were so excited that we breezed through it.

We got into British Columbia, and were hoping to get some nice pictures, but it was getting dark. We were on Canada route 5, going through Chilliwack and into Hope,where we turned onto Canada 1 and continued north. We passed through a little town called-of ALL things!!- Spuzzum. We were going along the eastern side of the Lillooet Range, and we passed the Alexandra Suspension Bridge.
It looked like we were missing some FANTASTIC pictures, but it was just too dark to take them. We stayed on 1 until we got to Clinton, then we took Canada 97 to 100 Mile House. We stopped for a nap. My husband was driving, and he ran into some of the thickest fog you ever saw. He literally could see nothing in front of him except WHITE.

I got up after a few hours, and took my turn driving. It was SOOO DARK!! No city lights, very few houses. It was like midnight in a mineshaft!! I kept my high beams on for 4 SOLID HOURS. There was just NO TRAFFIC, unless you count the ANIMALS! Big ones!! Moose, Caribou, even a few wild HORSES and a freakin' BUFFALO,fer Heaven's sake!! I had to slow down to 50 miles an hour because there were just so many animals, and the ones I saw could LOOK at me over the top of the hood, so I didn't DARE hit them!! I made it to Prince George before I got a headache and stopped. I set the clock and crawled into bed with Hubby. I left him a note to wake me up so I could take pictures.

He woke me up at daylight, and we ate b'fast. We rolled again on Canada 97,going north through Salmon Valley,Summit Lake, and Bear Lake. We stopped at Whiskers Point Provicial Park to take pictures. We continued on to Chetwynd, and turned off onto route 29 for a "Short Cut" to Fort St. John.

That was a BLAST!! We went up a 10% grade, and I saw the biggest bull moose I ever layed my eyes on! He HAD to weigh 1 ton if he weighed one ounce, and he was HUGE!! His dewlap was about 3 feet long, his feet looked like skillets, and I could have walked up under his chin and scratched him! And that RACK!! He had at least an 8 foot spread! No hunter worth his ammo would have shot him!! He was MAGNIFICENT!!

Should I start another page?? This trip DID take 2 weeks up and back--- ;-D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
More....

After I got a picture of that moose, I started looking around. I saw some of the most BEAUTIFUL country! We were getting into the Northern Rockies. They make the Rockies here look like anthills!!

We were on The Alaska Highway! We were having a great time, and as excited as kids! We even got "Tourist" maps when we could find them, because our Atlas didn't have any information after certain points. It got REALLY interesting after we left Ft. St. John. It got even MORE remote and gorgeous!! Our camera clicked and whirred, and roll after roll of film hit the cans! We agreed that God came up here for vacations!! It was SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!

We learned that "When it gets dark, PARK!!" It was the time of the year for winter migration, and we were dead in the middle of it!!

(Moose and vehicles just DO NOT agree!! DO NOT EVER-FOR ANY REASON- BLOW YOUR HORN AT A BULL MOOSE!! NONONONO!! They may hear it as a challenge call from another bull moose, and CHARGE YOUR TRUCK!! They can cause horrendous damage, and have even killed unwary drivers!! NEVER NEVER NEVER BLOW YOUR HORN AT THEM!! Just stop,turn the flashers on, and WAIT! They'll mosey away, and both of you will be safer!)

That's why we saw so many animals, and the Alaska Highway goes through several VERY old migration trails, so we were surrounded by critters!

Last edited:

Ma King

Seasoned Expediter
Just wanted to say Hubby and I made the trip from Toledo OH in Oct 2002 know what your talking about Beauty-animals and the FOG.It was a trip of a life time.We did Expediting for 17yrs first in straight truck then Van Loved it.Ma and Pa King(Pa from above)

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Just wanted to say Hubby and I made the trip from Toledo OH in Oct 2002 know what your talking about Beauty-animals and the FOG.It was a trip of a life time.We did Expediting for 17yrs first in straight truck then Van Loved it.Ma and Pa King(Pa from above)

Now don't think for a minute that this thread is exclusive to one person's experiences. Just jump in here and tell us about your trip, most of us have never been and love reading about it!

BTW.....Ma and Pa King is how we sign our greetings to our daughters-in-law.....we too, are the Kings!:eek:

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
More....

Moose. Caribou. Elk. Reindeer. Horses. BEARS!!

When it got dark, these guys OWNED the road. They'd look at you like you were STOOPID for being in "THEIR" road.

We were doing VERY well on our trip. It was my turn to drive, and DH(Dear Husband) was asleep. I was going up a hill west of Fort. St. John (I had NO IDEA that it would be almost the LAST bit of civilization we saw for a while!!), and was just goggling at the wonderful sights. I got to the top of the hill, and peeked behind me in the mirror, and came to a DEAD STOP!! Thank Heaven there was no traffic! I HAD to STOP THAT TRUCK!! I pulled over into a VERY HANDY "Photo Opportunity" area, got out of the truck and SAT DOWN in the dirt.

The PRETTIEST valley was spread for at least 20 miles behind me. I remember the sign for "Drum Hill XXXXX elevation"(can't remember the numbers), and was sitting in the dirt with my mouth hanging open, wide-eyed at the awesome valley below me! About 75% of the valley was Aspen trees, and it was the time of the year that the leaves were turning gold. WHAT a sight!! A golden carpet was layed out for me to see!! I woke DH up, and he opened the sleeper door to see it. He got dressed again, and we took MORE pictures. I even said a prayer to thank God for letting me see such a pretty place. I brushed the dirt off my behind, and drove on.... it was getting dark.

The dark came down on me. The road got twisty and even narrower than it had been.

(Please keep in mind that The Alaska Highway is 2 lane road for most of its length. They DO have some passing lanes for slow vehicles. It is a LAW that you use these pulloffs if you get 5 or more vehicles behind you)

I began going around LOTS of 20-25 MPH corners, and the road got VERY narrow. I could see the side of a cliff on my right, like the road had been blasted right out of the side of a mountain. To my left, I saw the occassional sparkle of water. I assumed I was driving along a river. After about 45 minutes, the road went back to normal. At least I was out of those curves!! I drove on for a while, and I stopped at this neat little Canadian truck stop called "Toad River". I got out to powder my nose and take my dogs out. Obviously, the owners weren't used to seeing a "Little Truck", and they thought I was some kind of NUT because I cleaned up after my dogs! It was so quiet outside. I heard crickets and night birds, and I noticed a strange kind of humming. DH woke up and went to the little boys' room, and came back out. We stood and enjoyed the silence.

Then, he pokes me and says "Honey, loooook...", so I looked where he was pointing.

We saw this odd glow low in the sky in front of us, and we stood and watched it.

It got brighter and higher. It was Aurora Borealis!! The Northern Lights!!

Last edited:

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Now don't think for a minute that this thread is exclusive to one person's experiences. Just jump in here and tell us about your trip, most of us have never been and love reading about it!

BTW.....Ma and Pa King is how we sign our greetings to our daughters-in-law.....we too, are the Kings!:eek:
SURE!! If you've been to Alaska--- DO TELL!!

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Diva,

Where did you get that cute little "Bug" avatar?? The first time I saw it, I tried to SWAT it!! LMAO!!!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Hi hapipupi,just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your story and just waiting for the next installment.We (dieseldiva is my better half) have never been to Alaska,or British Columbia for that matter.However,we have been so far north in Alberta (35 miles north of Ft.McMurray)that we no longer had signal for our Qualcomm,XM radio,or the satellite TV.We delivered to the Oil sands project up there and it was in some remote and beautiful country.( 800 miles north of the U.S. border)

BTW,what kind and how many dogs do you travel with? We have 5 shi tzu's that go everywhere with us.DD.

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
Hi hapipupi,just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your story and just waiting for the next installment.We (dieseldiva is my better half) have never been to Alaska,or British Columbia for that matter.However,we have been so far north in Alberta (35 miles north of Ft.McMurray)that we no longer had signal for our Qualcomm,XM radio,or the satellite TV.We delivered to the Oil sands project up there and it was in some remote and beautiful country.( 800 miles north of the U.S. border)

BTW,what kind and how many dogs do you travel with? We have 5 shi tzu's that go everywhere with us.DD.
Hi,Daddy! We got to that point where we had no signal for that thing in the Yukon OR for our cell phone!! We were off the map,fer Heaven's sake!!

We have a Keeshond(Smokey), A Jack Russell/Border Collie mix(Sable), and 2 of their "Accidental" pups, Teddy and Zeenha. Teddy looks like a small black Lab, and a lot of people think Zeenha is a Schipperke, but she has a tail. We have to take ours 2 at a time. They weigh between 25-45 pounds, so all 4 of them would be too much in the truck!! Sable and Smokey are on our avatar. They were exploring my SIL's horse trailer and peeked out the side!!

Ma King

Seasoned Expediter
Lawerance from this site used to have all the pic's and story on here-I don't know what he did with it.My Hubby took Pic's for Expediter' on Line,so will have to see where they put his site now.Grand Son just made the trip from Mi. to work up in Alaska for the summer-Said:Grandma is is as you and grandpa said,I wish I had his site on a cd but don't.Ma King

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
You surely haven't finished your story yet. You haven't even made it to Alaska yet. I sure am enjoying your story.

I just wanna know where to sign up for one of these Alaskan adventure tours!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I cannot wait for next installment and also how they got back to the lower 48 or as my daughters best friend from Alaska calls us the "lesser 48".
Great story and one of the reasons why we love this job you just never know.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
Did they really come back? That is the question....I think I would have to stay....and stay....and stay....I would probably stay until Panther got me a return load :p What an amazing experience

-charlotte

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I had not thought of the possiblity of waiting for a return load! What a great idea and I also have to wonder if we would come back. Our dream trip is to Alaska and I love reading about anyone that has done it. What an great adventure.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Excellent story!! I'm sitting here reading it to hubby and...........where's the next installment?
Please????:D