Nissan NV

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first put my Transit into service I gave my carrier a little over 12' for 3 skids but I would lose my fold up bed. For three weeks I gave them the 12' and had two loads that filled that out. Both were delivered direct, so losing my bed didn't matter. I didn't get paid extra for having the 3 skid capacity and the chance of losing my bed on longer run, weekend layover or just an early arrival and needing a bed to sleep in for a few hours prompted me to reduce my length capacity to 120".

Having a van with 3 skid capacity isn't necessarily an advantage for load opportunities with my carrier. I could be passed over for 2 skid loads because there's always a chance a 3 skidder might pop up. I know I got passed over on domestic loads when I was Canadian qualified.

Reactions: Ftransit

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I did not say you were. I just stated for us we have decided not to accept 3 skid loads unless the pay is to our satisfaction. Our history with 3 skid loads has been less than satisfactory. We were with a certain carrier who did not adhere to the no forced dispatch line. We are no longer with that carrier BTW.
I was just trying to make a point that not all high roof expediters wish to carry 3 skids, some are ok with the shorter length of a NV.
It's not always about 3 skids. Having 6ft of living space with two skids on the floor is a great thing. Having room for a fridge and microwave with three skids is great. I was able to make an extra 3 grand over the holidays because I can haul three skids. It's a personal choice but in my personal experience 3 skid space has been a plus for me even if I only have one on boarx.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No I did not say you were. I just stated for us we have decided not to accept 3 skid loads unless the pay is to our satisfaction. Our history with 3 skid loads has been less than satisfactory. We were with a certain carrier who did not adhere to the no forced dispatch line. We are no longer with that carrier BTW.
I was just trying to make a point that not all high roof expediters wish to carry 3 skids, some are ok with the shorter length of a NV.
In my case I will take whatever I can get to fit in my sprinter because I want to get as many chances for a load on that day as possible. I have the extended version with 15 ft of floor space. I have maxed out the floor space 2-3 times over the last 3 1/2 yrs and I have gotten straight truck rate for it.

Reactions: schwanman

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I get the 3rd skid, I double stack it(with the shipper and dispatcher approval, of course). I only ended up about 20% of the time that I had to do that.

That still leaves me close to 24" of sleeping space. I do enjoyed sleeping on my side. Some time I woke up with a numbed arm. I don't understand.

Lol........