Nickle and Dimed

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
To everyone that owns a truck. I take maybee to much pride in keeping this truck in 100% working order. Is it just me or is this something that all truck owners go through.

Almost every week it seems that something has to break. This week I killed the microwave and there is a little plunger inside of the water line to fill up the tank the spring came loose. I know this is minor but for both of these items there goes another $100. If its not tail lights, its a electrical line for the AC get the picture here. And this is a new truck, the KW, and Cummins parts of the truck have been truley reliable but everything else seems as though its not covered under warranty.

I really did not budget for $400 in misc repairs a month but I did budget for truck repairs which is stealing alot of the savings from this account. I am not asking for savings ideas but just seems I have had more than my fair share of seeing the service people more than I would like to. (Its taking down time, fuel, patience to work these problems out.)

God forbid one should have an accident I cannot imiagne the time it would take to follow up on this is still broken or that etc....

Packmule

Expert Expediter
BP,
I can truly relate to what youare saying. It seems that there is always something to fix or replace,(light bulbs, battery connections, loose this broken that) and always when you don't have time to spend on these little things. Of course we know that if it goes on a truck it will cost 10 times normal retail price, and if it's something you can't repair yourself a bank loan may be required to pay truck repair center labor charges, and have you been in a dealership that doesn't have that little sign over the service desk of the little guy laughing while saying "You want it When?".
I have learned (almost) to just roll with the unexpected because sh*t happens and no matter how hard you try to prepare for it, it will get you in the END.
The fact that you are conciencencious of the condition of your truck will probly save you a lot of BIG bucks in the long run, and a higher return on your truck when you decide to sale.
I think my truck is kinda like my kids were growing up....something always breaking or going wrong. some things we fixed at home, others we had to take them to the shop (Doctor), but we got 'em fixed and back on the road and were glad of it.
So is life with a truck in the family!

Keep on Truckin'
Dan

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Broom,

There's always gonna be something to mend, it's just the nature of the beastie. As the truck gets older, this trend will escalate.

When I bought my rig, in November,'05, one of the first things I did was replace ALL of the light bulbs and make needed repairs to the wiring as I did the replacements. Less than 3 months down the road, light bulbs were starting to go. Now, every possible bulb has been replaced by LED's. I'm hoping that they will require less attention than the bulbs they replace.

My current repair is a BIGGIE! Last Thursday morning my Cummins M11 (with 677K miles on the clock) broke an exhaust valve which destroyed the cylinder head/block. On the downside, my "RainyDay Fund" will be depleted to the tune of around $20K when I get out of the Cummins shop, here in Colby,KS. On the upside, I'll have a new engine with a 2year/200K mile warranty, a new clutch with a 1 year/unlimited mile warranty and two less big ticket items to think about!

The best thing you can do is keep a real close eye on things when doing your daily PreTrip inspection and use a shop for your PM service that will pay close attention to things as they do their inspections.

Also, as a rule, aftermarket equipment, be it a sleeper, an APU, or whatever, will be more maintenance intensive than the OEM gear.

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My current repair is a BIGGIE! Last Thursday morning my Cummins M11 (with 677K miles on the clock) broke an exhaust valve which destroyed the cylinder head/block. On the downside, my "RainyDay Fund" will be depleted to the tune of around $20K when I get out of the Cummins shop, here in Colby,KS. On the upside, I'll have a new engine with a 2year/200K mile warranty, a new clutch with a 1 year/unlimited mile warranty and two less big ticket items to think about!

Now that's a bad day.
Good luck in getting it fixed

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
It's like marriage Broompilot. All fun and games when new at the start, then things will start to break down and you constantly got to work at it to keep it going right. Or you divorce and wed again and start all over:D Denny

Packmule

Expert Expediter
You know somedays I think "The heck with this" I am going to find some Japanese,Chinese, or Korean LED light manufacturing companies and maybe some Chrome Lug covers and caps,a few fuzzy dice, and of course some air freshners. Pack my 22' box full and just travel around advertising on the Cb and peddling right out of the back of my truck.
I wonder how my return on investment and profit would be compared to hauling freight?

Wait a minute....That's why I got into this industry, to get away from that crap!!

Once a Salesman...always a salesman I guess!

DAN

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Back when I lived in Fort Lauderdale I owned a pleasure boat. It became a hole in the water that I constantly threw money in. Then we bought a truck. It didn't take long to figure out that it a hole in the pavement we constantly throw money in. Only difference is I get to use the money the truck made hauling freight.

The wife went out and bought me a real fancy toolbox with lots of tools for X-mas.Guess I was taking the truck to the shop to much, possibly a hint? :p

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This has really nothing to do with the age, this has been happening since day one. The amazing thing is how dealers wiggle out of paying for what I thought should be warranty work. Its been very few problems with the KW or Cummins its all those accessories that we unfortunatly need to survive in this business.

I dream of owning just a straight truck with no sleeper, and just a box on the back. But than I guess I cannot make any $ so thats the trade. Wiring, lights, heat, AC, Pro Heat not starting, not throwing electric to the source, condensor going bad, computer board broken, starter not engaging, fuel being cut off not being able to cut off fuel and all of these items generally mean a trip to the sevice dept. At first I was told its the new truck bugs but seems that I do not have a big enough can of RAID.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
rode2rouen,

While it was no fun reading about your engine troubles, and certainly less fun to experience them as you did, I am very impressed with the fact that you had a rainy day fund to cover the repairs. Expediting is not just about trucks. It's about business skills too. Well done!

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Phil,

I shudder to think of what my situation would be if I didn't have the cash to cover this incident!! Once this is settled, fingers crossed for late tomorrow, 3/31, I can start rebuilding the fund for the next storm.

I think I'm gonna buy a clapped out old FL70 and burn it to the ground as a sacrifice to the Truckin'Gods!!!

Rex

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Everytime I look in the mirrors and see an LED blink twice and then go out, or have to repair a headlight in a blizzard, or roll it into the shop Donna and I immediately remind each other - we put 12 to 16 THOUSAND miles on this truck a month. Most folks don't put that on their cars in a year!

Vehicles are going to break down, there's no stopping it. At least this one makes money to help support itself;-)

The Gibster

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Yep repairs are killing me.The rainy day fund got chewed up the first of Feb. with the tranny, altenator and then a water pump.Then the credit cards got ate up with another water pump.Now its back at the dealers for a new speedo and another waterpump.

Three waterpumps in 8 weeks.Truck has been in the shop more than its been on the road this year.And its still not fixed.Sure hope they figure this one out this time or van is going by-by.

Now I'm not posting this to depress anybody or to whine.I just figure this is something that could be helpful to somebody just getting into this business.My business is totally dependent on a truck and trucks break down.When they break its a double blow (no income and high repair bills).

This is probably going to cost me my business and force me into bankruptcy.Because I didn't put enough money back and took some time off that I really shouldn't have.Sometimes I wish I was a driver instead of an owner/operator.Let somebody else worry about the repairs.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Bryan, my saving grace and I have not had to touch it yet as I have been paying for all repairs basically out of pocket, is try this every load that I put on the truck I automaticaly take $100 and write myself I check, these total up after a month or few months than I have enough to make it into a CD or Savings Bond last check paying 7%. No matter how large or small the run is I do this.

I wish you luck and hope you get some great trouble free runs.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Trucks know exactly how much money you have im your checking account,to the penny.Forget the nickels and dimes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
> Now I'm not posting this to depress anybody or to whine.I
>just figure this is something that could be helpful to
>somebody just getting into this business.My business is
>totally dependent on a truck and trucks break down.When they
>break its a double blow (no income and high repair bills).
>
> This is probably going to cost me my business and force me
>into bankruptcy.Because I didn't put enough money back and
>took some time off that I really shouldn't have.Sometimes I
>wish I was a driver instead of an owner/operator.Let
>somebody else worry about the repairs.

Bryan,

Thank you for posting. Yours are powerful words that are worthy of consideration by expediter wannabees, newbies and veterans alike.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Trucks know exactly how much money you have im your checking
>account,to the penny.Forget the nickels and dimes.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

So if I keep my cash (not that there's a lot at this point)under my mattress, will the truck know about it???

Rex