ewilfong

Active Expediter
Hello Everyone, couple questions. 1 Is it very beneficial for a newbie to attend a workshop. 2 I'm considering a Chevy van over a straight truck because of start up cost and logging. I only get my son every-other weekend. Any advice from some seasoned veterans would be greatly appreciated !!!!::

hockeypuk

Expert Expediter
First and formost You might want to read up some of the post in the newbies section. I will agree that the start-up cost is less with a cargo van. Next and very important is being home every other weekend or so. Depending on the money your looking to make as well as where you live that could be a challange to make happen without eating up your profit. Ive been out of a straight truck for a few years but those rules havent really changed. If Im wrong The veterans of today will surley correct me.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I would in NO way recommend a cargo van. You really want a 3 pallet unit, like a good used extended sprinter, cube or a hybrid like the Cargomaxx. I do not believe the cargo van represents the best investment vs return.

ewilfong

Active Expediter
I not really thrilled with a van. Don't get me wrong I had a class 8 straight truck years ago with panther. You just can't find a class 8 used with under half a million and then the major problems start.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I not really thrilled with a van. Don't get me wrong I had a class 8 straight truck years ago with panther. You just can't find a class 8 used with under half a million and then the major problems start.

From what I gather, you don't know what problems are until you buy a late model truck with all of the emissions control technology on it.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I would in NO way recommend a cargo van. You really want a 3 pallet unit, like a good used extended sprinter, cube or a hybrid like the Cargomaxx. I do not believe the cargo van represents the best investment vs return.

I know from experience! Lol

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello Everyone, couple questions. 1 Is it very beneficial for a newbie to attend a workshop. 2 I'm considering a Chevy van over a straight truck because of start up cost and logging. I only get my son every-other weekend. Any advice from some seasoned veterans would be greatly appreciated !!!!::

If costs are enough of a concern that you'd prefer a cargo van, AND you want to be home every other weekend with your son [and you do, and that's good], you aren't going to be happy, IMO. I'd suggest putting the road on the back burner until your son doesn't need you around that often - in my experience, when he gets his own drivers license, lol.
Seriously: if the child is young enough to need parenting, being away much of the time is not good for either of you, and if you need the income, going home every other weekend sucks a lot of it up [fuel and missed opportunities] You can always drive in later years, but you can't raise your kids when they're older.....

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Being home at scheduled times just doesn't fit in this industry. I would look into TT, I drove for Arnold Transportation for 14 months and I was home every weekend except 2 or 3. On the weekends I wasn't home I was given the option to take the load that would cause the problem even though I was an employee. There are many other companies that have the same regional opportunities. They allow you to make a good living and have good health insurance for you and your kid.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Get a straight truck more expenses but a higher return and everyone needs them and you can haul van loads or straight loads always be busy if your with a good hustling company.

The company is your $ factor many losers in the expediting industry and many great companies also. The trick is finding the company that fits YOUR NEED$ .

Best of luck.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
100% YES! Some of the most succesful people in this business came through the EO Workshop Series. Best of luck (and planning ) to you!

I agree with what Lawrence is saying in regards to going to a workshop. Had there been a Expediters workshop back in 1994 when I started looking into this business, I would have gone and learned a lot before I started in this business. Bob and Linda Caffee are people that have done a few workshops. The workshops are a great tool that EO offers to its viewers and newbies that want to get into this business.

I would love to hold a few Expediters Round table meetings a few times a year for drivers and owners to get together and talk about the expedite business.

ewilfong

Active Expediter
Thanks alot for the time to steer me in the right direction. Does anyone know when the next workshop will be.