newbie (fsc)

keith111475

Seasoned Expediter
I just got my first paycheck, and I am not very impressed with what I got on my fuel pay. Drove 411 miles and got 4.29 on my fuel, drove 171 miles and got 9.42. Is this what I can expect. Drove another 191 and got nothing. Cargo van is what I drive Ford E250.

keith111475

Seasoned Expediter
ok, thanks the problem i have also is that when i ask the dispatcher what the fuel pay will be they tell me they dont know because it is an nlmi load, is there anyway to find out before i take the load. I did turn down my first load, as they cut the rate to 65 cents per mile and I needed to get home for some other reasons. Is 65 cents worth taking if there is not much fuel surcharge, I dont know, if anyone else does let me know. The load was about seven hundred miles.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Keith, the van I drive is diesel and averages around 19mpg. At $1.95 per gallon my fuel cost is around 11cpm..

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Don't know much about yer running costs, but, I do know that when you tink you "need" to go home an don't, an don't waste those miles, ya won't havta worry so much bout fsc on yer other miles.

keith111475

Seasoned Expediter
well i did need to go home, had to move out lease was up. But thanks for speculating about what i should do. I guess i could of not come home and buy all new stuff, if i was locked out. Dont think the 65 cents for 700 miles would have covered my belongings. But once again I appreciate your insight.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its not space science in a CV....65 minus say the 11 cents is .54 a mile....would it brought you closer to home? or 700 miles further away?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Not too much speculation, jes fact. There have been, are, and always will be ya butts and agendas in this business. Ya simply have to control them a bit with some planning. IF you knew you had to do some moving (or whatever) why didn't ya jes git R done a few days earlier, THEN start yer biz on the road??? Steada wonder'in why the fsc isn't keeping yer tank full enough. Seems yer new to this, an ya jes as well come up the right way. If it's not going to work for you earlier on, then i'm gonna suggest that "bad news don't get better with age"!!!

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Hey Newbie.

ALWAYS ASK what the fuel surcharge is. They will tell you and then you can decide if you want to run the load.

Good Luck

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Angola @ the Petro exit 156 on I-69 #1 within 70 miles...turned down 2 shorties for the morning @ CV rate.....less then 200 miles.....not giving up our dwell time on that crap anymore....unless they top them up....;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are at the "J" north of Birmingham, just waiting for Monday. Weekends are for the most part dead for us lately. I hope to get near enough to MATS to stop in on Friday. I won't DH a long way for it but if we get close we will stop. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's see, there is the Hooter girls, and zillions of half naked ladies running around handing out things and selling trucks. Of course, Mrs. Layoutshooter does not allow me to look. LOL :( Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let's see, there is the Hooter girls, and zillions of half naked ladies running around handing out things and selling trucks. Of course, Mrs. Layoutshooter does not allow me to look. LOL :( Layoutshooter

like I said...seen one ya seen them all......

OUTCH...just got slapped by Mrs OVM!!!*LOL*:rolleyes:

keith111475

Seasoned Expediter
Not too much speculation, jes fact. There have been, are, and always will be ya butts and agendas in this business. Ya simply have to control them a bit with some planning. IF you knew you had to do some moving (or whatever) why didn't ya jes git R done a few days earlier, THEN start yer biz on the road??? Steada wonder'in why the fsc isn't keeping yer tank full enough. Seems yer new to this, an ya jes as well come up the right way. If it's not going to work for you earlier on, then i'm gonna suggest that "bad news don't get better with age"!!!

No, you are wrong that was absolutely speculating. You never asked why I went home just assumed I did for the wrong reasons. I would of liked to control it with some planning, but I figured friday was as good as day as any to go home, have only been at this a short time but havent got any loads over the weekend except on sunday. I didnt get it done a few days earlier because i was out of town ( hard to move your stuff when your four hundred miles away, I do not know the jedi mind trick I also figured it would be better to make some money (work) than to take myself off of the board, maybe I would have got a load back towards home I didnt, oh well it wasnt that bad of a drive home. It was a chance I was willing to take, and the reason i didnt go further away from home to make it worse. All I did was ask a question about FSC and got a fatherly (now it all) lecture. I never complained about having go home, you were the one that had the problem with that. I know lots of people like you all negativity and pesimistic, but your not going to keep me down, sorry I asked a simple question on this forum, and was basically told that I was making bad desicions. I realize you thrive in other peoples demise, sorry but you wont keep me down, you should change your username to neslon as you are the nelson from the simpsons that laughs at other people, and enjoys if they fail. Good luck, I wont need any.