Newbie from Nashville, TN

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea what they said,however I'm not sure about Nashville, There are a few of us and I mean very few that have lucked into a steady regular run where the longest we are gone is 22 hours and most weekends at home.

Last edited:

expedite4520

Active Expediter
Hey NashVegas, just wanted to see if you have an update for us as far as finding a local route? I don't post much either, pretty much just a reader. We are 52 miles north of you in tLogan county.

SpaceKrafter

Active Expediter
Hey Sam,

I'm in Nashville too and I'm also considering the Expediter life. This is my first reply on any of the forums here (actually haven't posted anything yet.) Lately I've reading EO to try to get information and a feel for the business. Lots of conflicting stories out there, so I'm guessing that expediting is not all rainbows and buttercups.

But I suppose this business is like everything else. Ya get what ya pay for.

I'm looking to find a small fleet owner running Sprinters. Someone with experience and an established freight broker relationship. That way I can learn as I go with people who already know whats up. If i like the business, then I'll look into being an O/O. That would be down the road a year probably. Impossible?

Last edited:

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Sam,

I'm in Nashville too and I'm also considering the Expediter life. This is my first reply on any of the forums here (actually haven't posted anything yet.) Lately I've reading EO to try to get information and a feel for the business. Lots of conflicting stories out there, so I'm guessing that expediting is not all rainbows and buttercups.

But I suppose this business is like everything else. Ya get what ya pay for.

I'm looking to find a small fleet owner running Sprinters. Someone with experience and an established freight broker relationship. That way I can learn as I go with people who already know whats up. If i like the business, then I'll look into being an O/O. That would be down the road a year probably. Impossible?

Welcome and good luck in your venture. There is always a lot of good info in here, read and ask questions. A lot of info will be conflicting, that's true. Decifer fact from fiction and develop your own synopsis. Some are disgrumpled previous employees, some truly love who they work for. Remember, always RESEARCH the OWNER as well as the company. Bad eggs are almost ALWAYS found in a good basket. Keep us posted as your seaarch progresses and who you finally end up going to work for. Skip

zack100

Active Expediter
Hey Sam,

I'm in Nashville too and I'm also considering the Expediter life. Lately I've reading EO to try to get information and a feel for the business. Lots of conflicting stories out there, so I'm guessing that expediting is not all rainbows and buttercups.

An idea, drive to where expediters stay between runs (also weekends) .... Flying J, Pilot, TA and Petro. There is a "J" in Franklin, KY and one east of Nashville around Fairview. Talk to 'em (listen & sort out fact from fiction), ask questions, look at the trucks, see how they live while out. It's a totally new lifestyle and not for everyone. After "that" research, then "research" the fleet owner and his carrier. Good Luck :)

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I am kind of in the same boat. I have a 3 year old and would love to be home. I make anywhere from 700-1000 a week in a straight truck and im not home much. I have a year local driving class b and we were starving. Here we are living comfortably and my wife is a stay at home mom.

I have come to the conclusion you have to travel 48 states to make enough to support the family.

Its hard leaving my son but when i get home i shut the phones off and it is his week.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I can't imagine anyone with young children wanting to become an expeditor, unless you never want to see them.
getting home every couple of day simply won't work in expediting. You should look into LTL companies or air frieght, most of those are local or regional:)

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are several smaller carriers around Nashville that you might want to contact: DMW, Crosstown, Able, Continental (in Clarksville), and there's one in Lebanon whose name escapes me. Also, the freight forwarders like Ceva, Pilot, etc. Tell them up front that you're looking for something local - they do have a lot of business that originates out of the airport and delivers within a 200-mile radius. There are also a lot of Nissan suppliers that have trucks shuttling parts back and forth to Smyrna and Decherd. Your best bet is to drive somebody else's truck and let them shoulder the expenses, which are considerable. Last but not least - stay home with your wife and kids. In spite of what you may think about your current lifestyle, once you've spent a week or two sleeping in a truck - whether it's during summer in Laredo or winter in New Berlin, WI - the crawl space under houses will start to look pretty good, and the away time REALLY makes you appreciate the time at home with your family. Whatever you decide - best of luck.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I can't imagine anyone with young children wanting to become an expeditor, unless you never want to see them.
getting home every couple of day simply won't work in expediting. You should look into LTL companies or air frieght, most of those are local or regional:)

For me it wasn't a matter of "Want" it was a matter of "Had to" the government and economy are down the drain and this was a matter of support my family or end up homeless.

In his case however $1k a week i would stay at home. Hell i'd clean ta restrooms for $1k a week and **** sure crawl under houses for it.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like Paullud said, I highly doubt you will be able to maintain your current lifestyle, expediting is a lifestyle of it's own. I do it because I love being on the road and I love not knowing where I am going to wake up tomorrow. I also love the challenge of getting a call @ 11 pm and having to deliver a 900 mile run by 2 O'clock tomorrow afternoon.

But if I wanted to make more money, I'd consider other jobs but the lifestyle is what appeals to me.

I think budgeting on $1k a week is too optimistic, I'd plan for more around $500 and when you do have those 1k weeks, count them as a bonus. If you want more hometime, expect less pay and expect to spend more on fuel dead heading home.

But getting your own local contracts is key to making more money and being home more often. You get to keep the carrier's overhead "grab" and that can offset your dh cost.

I agree. You need to cut the carrier out and be able to make an extra 15 or 20 or even 50 cents per mile. If I can make an extra 20 cents on every load I pull, I can use that to drive home on one way trips and still pocket some good coin. It all in what you need!

mickeyc

Active Expediter
Tomatoman

Hello, I am a lifetime farmer with two straight trucks. I am considering doing this in my off season. need help with every aspect of this business. Thank you all very much.

RKC57

Active Expediter
Here's something to consider before you quit your current job.

Are you, your wife and children healthy enough to buy individual health insurance? I retired early and am a long way from Medicare eligibility. My monthly individual health insurance premium on me, my wife and 2 teenagers is my single largest expense. Unlike group insurance where the premium represents the usage and average age of the group, you'll see premium increases based on your age and how many claims you file. I get a notice on my birthday every year that reads: "Your premiums are increasing because (1) you had too many claims or (2) because of your age." Well with a $10,000 deductible that I've never met, it's pretty hard to say I've had too many claims.

So the short message is: get some health insurance quotes before you quit your job.

Another point that will be counter to several comments made about family. If you aren't happy with your work, does it show at home? I think a happy dad who is supportive and maybe not around much is a lot more appreciated than a boorish one.

There's something to be said for cherishing the time you spend with your kids when they're young. It will pass too quickly and before you know it they will go from holding your hand when you walk through a parking lot to not wanting to go anywhere with you. My kids are older teenagers now and the only interaction I have with them is when they want money or food.

I'm sitting on the fence too and have been spending a lot of time talking to my wife about how she would feel if I were gone all of the time. Ultimately, if the family isn't supportive of whatever it is you're doing, you're going to have a rough go of it.