Newbie Advice For 1st Time Driving Position?

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
After months of studying EO and other trucking forums, I decided to pursue becoming an expediter as a career change. I obtained my CDL-B, HAZMAT, Tanker and Passenger endorsements and applied to FECC getting pre-qualified and more recently used the universal application here on EO to apply to just about everybody else. I have responded to a number of ads, even have my own ad under drivers available and so far have got zero interest (no interest to date from existing contractors at FECC). I have talked to a few owners who either wanted an experienced driver or someone closer to their location and I appreciate those conversations, I did learn some things and the folks I did talk to were friendly and very helpful!

Trying to look at this objectively to analyze my situation and I can think of three possibilities as to lack of interest:

1. My location, I live in Oregon.
  2. I do not have a team put together, I could go solo or team given the right co-driver. In fact while it would be comfortable to be solo, I would rather step out of my comfort zone to team with a seasoned expert just for the learning experience.
  3. I have no real commercial driving experience. By real, I mean nothing that would count, I drove truck and lowboy as an incidental part of a job 35 years ago and recently have been gear jamming in a 1976 Peterbilt cab over hauling hay locally for a friend, but none of those were OTR or even long in state runs.

About the only item I can currently try to change is #2 and am looking for local (to me) CDL drivers that might be interested in forming a team. Am I overlooking something else obvious? I knew it would be a bit of a tough sell being domiciled in Oregon, but I have made it clear to all I have talked to that I don't expect to get home very frequently at least while driving an owners truck. If it were my truck, I might take more home time anytime I got to the west coast, but for now I am willing to learn and forego some home time and just follow the freight.

Any advice from the seasoned experts here at EO about ways to get started while living in the NW?

TS

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I used to team with an owner out of Jacksonville FL,and I lived in Pittsburgh,Pa.This was a White Glove truck. To take time off I would fly home while the owner ran solo and he would fly home as well while I ran solo.I know this doesn't help you find an owner,but if you do,airplanes are an option for getting home.Keep checking the ads. I think finding a co-driver is your best option.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I used to team with an owner out of Jacksonville FL,and I lived in Pittsburgh,Pa.This was a White Glove truck. To take time off I would fly home while the owner ran solo and he would fly home as well while I ran solo.I know this doesn't help you find an owner,but if you do,airplanes are an option for getting home.Keep checking the ads.

Thanks RR, I have considered doing the same and I believe I mentioned that to one or two owners I talked to.

TS

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That would probably be your best option. Your return calls will be limited based on your own observation. As a fleet owner, I can say someone with your situation would be considered high risk just because of the inexperience and location.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
After months of studying EO and other trucking forums, I decided to pursue becoming an expediter as a career change. I obtained my CDL-B, HAZMAT, Tanker and Passenger endorsements and applied to FECC getting pre-qualified and more recently used the universal application here on EO to apply to just about everybody else. I have responded to a number of ads, even have my own ad under drivers available and so far have got zero interest (no interest to date from existing contractors at FECC). I have talked to a few owners who either wanted an experienced driver or someone closer to their location and I appreciate those conversations, I did learn some things and the folks I did talk to were friendly and very helpful!

Trying to look at this objectively to analyze my situation and I can think of three possibilities as to lack of interest:

1. My location, I live in Oregon.
  2. I do not have a team put together, I could go solo or team given the right co-driver. In fact while it would be comfortable to be solo, I would rather step out of my comfort zone to team with a seasoned expert just for the learning experience.
  3. I have no real commercial driving experience. By real, I mean nothing that would count, I drove truck and lowboy as an incidental part of a job 35 years ago and recently have been gear jamming in a 1976 Peterbilt cab over hauling hay locally for a friend, but none of those were OTR or even long in state runs.

About the only item I can currently try to change is #2 and am looking for local (to me) CDL drivers that might be interested in forming a team. Am I overlooking something else obvious? I knew it would be a bit of a tough sell being domiciled in Oregon, but I have made it clear to all I have talked to that I don't expect to get home very frequently at least while driving an owners truck. If it were my truck, I might take more home time anytime I got to the west coast, but for now I am willing to learn and forego some home time and just follow the freight.

Any advice from the seasoned experts here at EO about ways to get started while living in the NW?

TS

TruckingSurv-

I know we have talked in e-mail a few times before. Sounds like your on the right path, its been a little over 60 days now since I started. I can offer this advise to you- Oregon is just a rough spot for expediting. We have only gotten one offer to go up there (Bend) and it was a real low paying gig. Actually, take that back, got one up to Seattle, but didn't take it cause it was low paying as well. However, don't let other things get to you. I thought that I would never see my house (Vegas) and I have been home about 4 times, and through here 6 times in the past 60 days. Our #1 spot is San Francisco/Oakland/Sacramento. We have been through there more time's than anywhere else. We started off with no experience as well, but our owners were able to take us on and we just had the school sign something for Fed-Ex saying that we got the proper training.

Our owner is looking for teams all the time, but that's teams. Post ad's on craigslist up and down the west coast from Seattle down to Los Angles. There's gotta be someone in the same boat as you that want's to venture out on there own. Good Luck. Don't get discouraged.

I know someone that does only west coast runs, and occasionally goes back east if the money is good, but they normally stay out west 75%. Not sure what there take home pay is like tho. But anyways, FEDEX business is growing out west, however from time to time there will be only 2 trucks in California available, or you will get 50. Just depends. PM me for more info. Sorry I didn't respond to you.

-RYan

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
If you were willing to relocate to Texas, I could get you a job driving local, you would be home every night, well your new home, and after a year, you could get just about any trucking job.

We do heavy haul and we are looking for someone safe and willing to learn. You would start in a rollback. It's a Mon - Fri 7-5 gig and if you don't have a bunch of expenses, you could fly home once a month, which would be the same as expediting.

Dat1stChoice

Active Expediter
Try places like Pilot Freight, Seko, GP Express, Forward Air and others like them. They do local hot shot and air freight stuff. Its NOT expedited, but it IS experience...thats what I'm doing until the wife is ready to join me in a sprinter on the open road.

watrucker

Active Expediter
I am up in the Seattle area myself, and have had a similar issue. The PNW is just not the areas for this type of freight. But with that said, I am not one to back down from a challenge. I have seen FedEx CC straight trucks up here MANY times, so I know the loads exist. How many, and what they pay is another thing.

I am originally from Sacramento, and have many connections and a places to stay down there if needed, but you will bury me before I would EVER move back to Commiefornia.

I want to go OTR in a sprinter van, I have had some interesting offers, and I have a number for a guy who wants to get me started, but again he is a little hesitant being that I live up here.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you were willing to relocate to Texas, I could get you a job driving local, you would be home every night, well your new home, and after a year, you could get just about any trucking job.

We do heavy haul and we are looking for someone safe and willing to learn. You would start in a rollback. It's a Mon - Fri 7-5 gig and if you don't have a bunch of expenses, you could fly home once a month, which would be the same as expediting.

If the pay is decent it sounds like a great job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter

I am interested in relocation as I live in GA now and I just want a different scenery. Please tell me more about the position and how to apply.

SENT FROM YA MAMA'S HOUSE

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks RR, I have considered doing the same and I believe I mentioned that to one or two owners I talked to.

TS

If you don't want to take Mcavoy's offer [or if Noneya beat you to it, lol], then maybe you could rewrite your ads & refocus your 'pitch' to address the obvious issues: location & inexperience.
Stressing your willingness to team and to stay out for long periods may help overcome the doubts & give you a chance to prove yourself.