NEW TRUCK vs USED TRUCK

lrjet

Seasoned Expediter
I really want to get into this business, but I have to say there is extremely negative attitude about it. I want a new truck, I am going to be living in it, I have to commit if I do this. For me there is no drive for someone else and see if I like it stuff. I have to be very positive and make it work. A new "D" unit is 1900.00 a month, a used "D" unit is 1400.00 a month. Some of the more negative people tell me I will go broke with a new truck. If I can't make 500.00 a month how in the world can any body be in this business? if 125.00 more a week will put me out of business then I won't bother with a used truck ether. If there are any positive, successful people out there, I would like you options. The extremely negative people that only know failure and fear, that information won't help and I am not interested. thanks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi, I am a not so new newbie and would be happy to pass on what little I know. I had the same thoughts when I started, I am sure glad that I did not buy a new truck. The money has been there to make payments on a new truck, no problem with that so far. I decided to drive for an owner. I rode with owners for the first 6 months. I have to say that doing it that way cut the learning curve time. It helped me to avoid at least some of the newbie dumb stuff.

I also learned what I might want in a truck when I do decide to buy one. What I would want now sleeper wise is much different that when I first started looking into this businss. I am still working on that one as well as trying to decide on reefer vs. non-reefer. That one is much harder. I have worked with both. The reefer produces more $ per mile but the cost for it is high. Uses more fuel too. It does seem that I ran more when I had the reefer but it could be because of the time of year.

I would never tell you not to do what you want since everyone is so different. I will recomend that you think about other ways to start other than just jumping in. It is a fun business and the money is out there. I feel from your post that you should make it ok but your wants and needs may turn out to be much different than you think they are now.

Have you decided on a carrier? What about handling freight? Reefer vs. dry box. You have to know the answers to those before you can buy a truck. Team or solo? Is your spouse driving with you?

Just my thoughts, I hope that it does not seem negitive to you. I know how things can seem that way. Lots of good people in here with good ideas. Read them all, take them with as much salt as you feel they need. Good Luck, Layoutshooter

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are plenty of successful people here on the forum. But I don't think any of them will tell you to buy a new truck and just go for it. I've always been one that prefers to buy new, other peoples problems and all that. The other option is a smaller investment in a van. That will get you out there to see what it's like. The fact is that there will be a learning curve. If you go with a fleet owner for a while you're not putting a huge investment on the line. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it's just prudent advice. Good luck to you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, I have to repeat what's been said that you don't want to hear. Find a fleet owner and drive for them for a few months. You'll learn about the business and what some of the pits look like without falling into them. You'll also spend enough time in a sleeper to know what you want and don't want. If you are dead set on buying a new truck there are 2 men you should talk to. If you are going to make a decision in the next month or so you have an opportunity to have a KW T300 built to your specs if you want. If that's of interest send me a PM and I'll fill you in. If you want to just walk on the lot and drive away in a good truck you need to call Jon Mosier at FL of Knoxville. He's a totally stand up guy and one of the 2 you can depend on. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The members have given you some good advise. I would be careful not to confuse the negative and positive with what is reality. Alot of mistakes happen when someone starts and you would be shouldering that burden. Many have failed because of being undercapitolized or didn't understand the real needs of a particular carrier.
Driving for someone else will answer all of your questions with out the risk. Same for spending time going through the EO archives to see how this would work for you.
Testing the waters will also indicate to you whether you can adapt to the lifestyle.

There are plenty of members to help you so good luck in your decisions.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

brentwb2

Seasoned Expediter
You should DEFINITELY drive for somebody else first. Run the truck like it is your own business. Expediting is not for everybody and you MUST be positive that you can make it before you make the investment. Take mental notes and realize what you like-dislike about the truck you are issued.
I feel that if you decide that expediting is for you, then shoot for a new truck and set it up the way you want it. You may get a cherry used truck that will serve you well. Economically that would make more sense. But the fear of the unknown in my mind wins out.
My attitude is that in buying a used truck, you are inheriting somebody else's headache. By your numbers, for $500 extra in payments ($6000 per year) you have the peace of mind of warranty and you KNOW where your truck has been and how it has been serviced.
Let's not forget that if you buy some used POS, the possibility of a breakdown is always in the back of your mind. You can easily eat up $6000 in repairs + lost revenue with downtime.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
lrjet,

I'm a team driver with my wife, not solo, so I can't speak from solo experience. I can say the majority of people who enter the business do so by purchasing their own truck from the get go. That does not mean they succeed, it's just how they start.

Diane and I drove someone elses truck first to see if we could meet certain production goals before making a large financial commitment for a truck of our own. Our attitude is as positive as they come and few people have entered the field with the prior research and determination to succeed we did. But we're not extreme sports thrill seekers. Why take risks you don't have to? The fleet truck opportunity was available and it made perfect sense for us to use it.

Knowing what we know now, there is no question that we would have succeeded had we entered the business with a truck of our own. But again, why take risks you don't have to? If we had it to do over again, we'd probably start in a fleet owner's truck; not because we'd worry about failure, but because driving one kind of truck and then meeting drivers who drive other kinds gives you the chance to truly know what you want in a truck of your own. You'll spec out a truck of your own much better if you are in and around other trucks first.

Driving a fleet owner's truck is not a lesser thing to do, though some owner-operators would have you believe it is. I know of expediters who used to own their own truck, succeeded at it, and then went back to driving a fleet owner's truck because the like the simplicity.