New toys

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Somebody was doing some hard thinking and work 5 to ten years ago to get this done.

NRO birds are really "cool toys"!! It takes anywhere from 5-8 years from the date of congressional approval to build and launch one. They do NOT use off the shelf parts, are all hand built, with quadruple back up systems. Most are designed for a 5-7 year life span but birds built by the "better companies" have been known to last as long as 12.

The one I helped to spec out back in the mid '80's cost over 14 BILLION just for the bird. That did NOT include launch costs, ground processing sites, mission costs for the the life of the bird etc.

For those who did not know, agencies like NSA, CIA, and any of the other 21 agencies that do intell work, do not have their own space born systems. The NRO builds and tasks all of them.

I HOPE that this administration is continuing to upgrade our systems. If not, there will be huge holes in our ability to monitor things like the "Start" type treaties in a few short years.

Launch days were always fun at work with the anticipation of "new toys" to play with in a few days. Almost as much fun as birthday presents!! If you ever got "time" on one of them that is.

New U.S. Spy Satellite Blasts Off On Secret Mission​

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A new U.S. spy satellite soared into the sunset sky above Florida today (March 11) on a clandestine mission to preserve national security.

The satellite launched into space atop an unmanned Delta 4 rocket that lifted off from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 6:38 p.m. EST (2338 GMT). High-altitude winds above the Air Force station's Launch Complex 37 delayed the satellite's launch by nearly a half hour, but cleared in time for a dazzling twilight blastoff.

Rocket launch provider United Launch Alliance orchestrated the satellite's trip to orbit for the National Reconnaissance Office. The Chantilly, Va.-based NRO is responsible for the design, construction and operation of the country's network of intelligence-gathering spy satellites.

"This mission helps ensure that crucial NRO resources will continue to strengthen our national defense," said Col James Ross, 45th Space Wing vice commander, in statement released by the Air Force Space Command.

The new satellite is part of the military's national defense program. Due to the classified nature of the mission, which is formally known as NROL-27, very few additional details about the launch or the satellite's purpose are publicly released. The mission went into a media blackout shortly after its successful liftoff.

"Congratulations to the NRO and to all the mission partners involved in this critical national security launch," Jim Sponnick, ULA's vice president of mission operations, said in a statement. "Our launch team understands the importance that these missions play in protecting our freedoms and supporting our brave men and women deployed around the world."

The liftoff comes less than a week after the U.S. Air Force launched its second secret X-37B space plane on a similarly hush-hush mission. That spacecraft lifted off on March 5 atop an unmanned Atlas 5 rocket, also provided by ULA.

Since September, five different NRO satellites have been launched into orbit, including today's. On Nov. 21, a Delta 4 Heavy booster – the United States' biggest unmanned rocket currently in service – delivered a huge spy satellite into space. The rocket used in today's launch is considered a medium-class version of the Delta 4 Heavy, officially a Delta 4 M+(4,2), according to Spaceflight Now.

"We have had an amazing five successful launches in the past 12 months, two in 2010 and three this year. I am looking forward to the launch of NROL-34 in April, which will conclude our most aggressive launch schedule in over two decades," Air Force Col. Alan Davis, director of the NRO's Office of Space Launch, after the successful liftoff.

The sixth NRO satellite is slated to launch April 12 on an Atlas 5 rocket out of Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
A Delta 4 rocket stands 205 feet (62.5 meters) tall and is made up of one main booster with two small solid rocket boosters strapped to its side.

The rocket is built and launched by the United Launch Alliance, a partnership between Lockheed Martin and Boeing. It made its first flight in 2002 and is capable of launching payloads of up to 13.5 tons into low-Earth orbit and 6.6 tons toward the geosynchronous orbits used by communications satellites.
This is the third launch of the year for United Launch Alliance, and the 16th flight of the Delta 4 family of rockets.

New U.S. Spy Satellite Blasts Off On Secret Mission - Yahoo! News

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't even understand how a light bulb works :(

You don't have too, those who build them do. I spent a LOT of time in my career working with rocket scientists, they are very smart but so many of them cannot tie their own shoes. Rest easy knowing that you can function in real life better than many of them.

If we ever meet remind me to tell you about Mr. Norlan of the Norlan switch company. You will get a kick out of it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If we are to think that it is supposed to be a secret mission, may be we shouldn't get news of a launch in the first place, just saying.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If we are to think that it is supposed to be a secret mission, may be we shouldn't get news of a launch in the first place, just saying.

The launches are kinda hard to hide. The make a LOT of noise and light!! They have to close air space etc.

The payload is what is classified. Any good analyst from any country knows, at the very least, what kind of orbit that bird is going into, and has a basic idea what the bird is for. It is the specifics that are classified.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it doesn't matter if they are hard to hide, there are enough "hidden" areas across the country and on some islands that we can use for this type of activity. I also think that this idea that we need to know everything seems to put us at risk.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it doesn't matter if they are hard to hide, there are enough "hidden" areas across the country and on some islands that we can use for this type of activity. I also think that this idea that we need to know everything seems to put us at risk.

We, the United States, owns only has a couple of launch areas. Cape Canaveral, and Vandenburg AFB are the two main areas and I understand we now have another one somewhere on the northern west coast. It may even be in Alaska, not sure, I have never looked it up.

These systems HAVE to been kept as secret as possible. Having said that congress must retain oversight AND the public has a right to know that we are maintaining these systems. The specifics of the bird launched and it's exact mission need to be classified or the money would be wasted.

I don't know if we could build a launch site offshore somewhere. It would drastically raise the cost of these systems and make it more difficult to have good clean launches. I don't even know if we "own" an island that has the proper geographic locations to insure proper orbit insertion. That would require at least two new launch sites. Offshore sites would make security MORE difficult as well. It would not matter that much anyway. No matter where it was launched from the "bad guys" would know anyway. There is NO way to hide a launch. It cannot be done.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
You are forgetting SeaLaunch which is moored in Long Beach harbor in California. Fully mobile. :cool:

fired at you from my Droideka

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You are forgetting SeaLaunch which is moored in Long Beach harbor in California. Fully mobile. :cool:

fired at you from my Droideka

I don't think that can handle launch vehicles of that size. Could be wrong. It would have to be moved a LONG way for a launch such as this one. Wrong geometry for orbit insertion.

Looked it up. First off, WAY too small of a launch vehicle. Second, the vehicle is NOT a U.S. made system. Other than that it would work.

Sea Launch | Home Page

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did a bit more research and that system just MIGHT have enough umph to put this particular bird up. Still it is NOT a U.S. built launch vehicle which is required for all DOD type launches.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have a few more sites Layout, do some more digging.

Yes Greg, I know what sites we have. I also know what is needed to launch vehicles of this size and where they need to be launched from for different types of orbits.

he fact is we do not have a lot of options, Kennedy and Vandenburg are our two main sites for very good reason. There is little that can be done to change that without spending a LOT of money that need not be spent.

No matter what you do, where you go on this earth, you cannot hide a launch. At least we can control the areas around Kennedy and Vandenburg. As much as that is possible.