New to the business

Traffic_Guy

Seasoned Expediter
Made calls to Roehl and US Express... Roehl won't hire because of the area I'm in and US Express needs 6 months of training.

I'm gonna continue looking, though I've already decided to start training this coming thursday.

poetish

Seasoned Expediter
Driver's solutions (not to be confused with expedite solutions!)
is a driver training school. Pam transport, USA trucking and i believe CRST use them. Any of those companies will pay your training costs (you get a loan from them and pay it back over time, then after a year or so you get it back as a "bonus").

You are paying for your training with your time, the pay is not great. BUT after a year people will be knocking down your door asking you to drive for them. Just know what you are getting into and why.

Truck Driver Training & CDL Training From Driver Solutions

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Schneider National, like I said they are a good training company, not one you'd want to stay with after your year is up.

poetish

Seasoned Expediter
schneider would be my first choice, but they are no longer training new drivers, only uhh schneiderizing experienced drivers in their schools.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
schneider would be my first choice, but they are no longer training new drivers, only uhh schneiderizing experienced drivers in their schools.

Wow the economy must be bad, they were always looking for drivers.
What about Werner? I know they won the contract from Walmart that Schneider had. Not sure if they train.
or JB Hunt

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
Also if you must go through a truck driving school you may want to look up SAGE truck driving school they are one of the best schools for class A CDL's, the one in Spindale NC even has Class B expedite training but I dont know about the other schools they have across the country. The one in Spindale is also PTDI certified. This is who I went through back in 2004 for my Class A CDL's.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
JB Hunt doesn't train anymore, from what I hear drivers mileage is very low. I know two former Schneider driver who departed because the company failed to keep there trucks up. One works fro Roehl and the other works for East-West.

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
If this is the same East-West based in Swannanoa, NC, I drove for them for couple months, if he is a O/O he might be doing ok but if he is driving one of their trucks then they pay per trip unless they have changed their ways, I was driving from NC to CA, they only paid $500 per trip. But for training purpose I belive they want you to make 10 trips with a trainer.

Last edited:

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
If this is the same East-West based in Swannanoa, NC, I drove for them for couple months, if he is a O/O he might be doing ok but if he is driving one of their trucks then they pay per trip unless they have changed their ways, I was driving from NC to CA, they only paid $500 per trip.

This East-West is parent owned by Smithway out of Iowa. This East-West is based in South Dakota and is mostly owner/operator except for a few owner who have several trucks on with them.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Take the advice to stay out of trucking . Do some research . Freight is at its lowest level in 12 years with tens of thousands of experienced drivers out of work . Research the quarterly reports of all the major carriers . They are all reducing their fleets . Werner got the WalMart contract Schneider had ? Do you suppose that happened because they underbid Schneider's already low rate ? Yes , Werner will need drivers and many of the applicants will be former Schneider drivers experienced with the WalMart runs .
As for "free" training provided IF you meet a year obligation - I have many posts by drivers that have taken such training then ended up owing the carrier thousands of dollars after they worked less than a year then were terminated over a minor violation . I have also read many posts by trucking school graduates and experienced drivers unable to find jobs . There is a huge oversupply of applicants .

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Take the advice to stay out of trucking . Do some research . Freight is at its lowest level in 12 years with tens of thousands of experienced drivers out of work . Research the quarterly reports of all the major carriers . They are all reducing their fleets . Werner got the WalMart contract Schneider had ? Do you suppose that happened because they underbid Schneider's already low rate ? Yes , Werner will need drivers and many of the applicants will be former Schneider drivers experienced with the WalMart runs .
As for "free" training provided IF you meet a year obligation - I have many posts by drivers that have taken such training then ended up owing the carrier thousands of dollars after they worked less than a year then were terminated over a minor violation . I have also read many posts by trucking school graduates and experienced drivers unable to find jobs . There is a huge oversupply of applicants .

Good advice, Crazy. But the guy sounds like he already made up his mind. Others apparently forgot about all the McDonald's posts in the last 9 months. Now, they're giving him the deals of the day.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I agree seems like he has made up his mind about getting into this industry. I think we are just trying to give him advice as far as not paying for Class A training as many companies will offer it to you in return for a year. I am sure there are some that receive violations and are fired and end up paying, but there are also those that get through the year.
All in all I think he'd be in a better position at a trucking company then he would be working in the expediting industry at this time and after a year or two of experience under his belt he will be in a better position to hop into the expediting side of this industry if he chooses. Especially if the economy recovers from it's current condition

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
yes trucking is down,but I have an ex driver that just started with a new company,he's getting 3000 miles a week,drop and hook,and get 45 cpm with all benefits

Traffic_Guy

Seasoned Expediter
This is the thing... I've got the money and the motivation to pay for a Class A CDL. I'm determined to break into this industry one way or another, and I'm relying on that determination to get me somewhere. I know many of you may be looking at this thinking, "He's nuts"... and you're all probably right... I already have a great job... I'm taking a huge risk here, but what's the point of sitting around and not fighting for an opportunity? I wanna be out on the road, busting my *** for a company!!

If I hadn't been like this my entire life, I'd be looking at things from a much different perspective.

Everyone that has given advice so far... it's GREATLY appreciated. It just goes to show how many good people are out there in this industry.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If you are bound and determined to get into trucking I would go with a truck load company driving t/t since you are getting a class A anyway. Then if you decide to go to a straight truck you can, and you still have the t/t experience to fall back on. Or once you get the tractor trailer experience you may decide to expedite in a t/t. It's a whole lot easier to move down in size units than it is to move up.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, go for a regular trucking company, chances are they will keep you busier, unless you like the idea of sitting waiting for loads days at a time, if so Expediting is for you:rolleyes:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
This is the thing... I've got the money and the motivation to pay for a Class A CDL. I'm determined to break into this industry one way or another, and I'm relying on that determination to get me somewhere. I know many of you may be looking at this thinking, "He's nuts"... and you're all probably right... I already have a great job... I'm taking a huge risk here, but what's the point of sitting around and not fighting for an opportunity? I wanna be out on the road, busting my *** for a company!!

If I hadn't been like this my entire life, I'd be looking at things from a much different perspective.

Everyone that has given advice so far... it's GREATLY appreciated. It just goes to show how many good people are out there in this industry.

It was a matter of a couple of months ago that people were willing to bust their butts for their company, but the loads weren't there for them. In a couple of months, it'll be the same way again. If you have the determination to get out on the road and see the sights, then take my advise and have the discipline to wait until things are better. Otherwise, you may see something you don't expect... a lot of parking lots, for extended periods of time.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Two things please. #1 "Well, Good news. I went to the RMV and passed my CDL A test the first time around." Since he has passed the test, why go to school?.
#2 Regarding the Trucking Co. in Iowa. I have a friend here in the Ozarks whose 21 year old grandson went to school and has been working steadily for about the last year over the road for a Co. out of Iowa. May be the same outfit.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Two things please. #1 "Well, Good news. I went to the RMV and passed my CDL A test the first time around."

Since he has passed the test, why go to school?.

That's one even I know the answer to.

Just studying a DMV manual and driving some truck for a day or two to learn how to "Pass" the CDL test does not make one a truck driver.

Sure, anyone that is book smart and a quick learner can pass any kind of driving test within their comfort zone, but what happens when they get out of their comfort zone in an 80K lb truck are put in a situation where an obstacle they have never encountered comes about? Truck Driving schools are not there to teach CDL rules and regulations only, they also concentrate on real world driving that covers obstacles that drivers may run across all over the country.

I just went thru this same question last week on another board I'm on. Let's say you have a Guy that lives in "Lubbock Texas" who goes down and does exactly what this guy did. Got the CDL book, studied, passed all paper tests that were given and then borrowed a truck to take the driving test and passed that too. He is now a licensed CDL driver that has never seen a hill higher than 200 feet high and has been driving flat lands all his life.

Now, take this same driver and throw him in an 80K lb, 65ft long, 14ft high truck and send him out away from his "Comfort Zone" all on his own. I guarentee you the first time he takes that I-80 Eastbound drop into Salt Lake City in that truck, he's going to wish that he had "Gone to School" to know exactly what the hell to do to get down that butt puckering mountain in that truck safely. Or the first time he hits New York or New Jersey and has to back up 3 blocks with 2 feet of clearence on both sides of his truck to get out the jam he just got him and his truck into.

That's why you see ALL of the big companies out there say "2 years experience" OR "RECENT truck driving school graduate" within their hiring requirements.

Hope this helps.